Skin Color On Side on cats Nose

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had an eye issue awhile back as some of you may already know...And its gotten better..(knock on wood)..Its been months back..took him to VET n did a skin scraping...found nothing...but VET was feeling certain it was herpes virus..From URI...THAT HE MAY HAVE GOT FROM A KITTEN I HAD BOUGHT HOME TO BE HIS BUDDY..Didnt work OUT..my son has the kitten..But the Vet said where I got the kitten..that the kitten had a URI..n was OK when I got him n was out of the danger zone ...For any other cat's or himself...Was over the URI...But the situation with my cat did start with his eye problem til after the kitten went with my son..cause my boy WONT having another cat in his territory..he was 10 at the time..n been an only cat all this time..indoors completely..So VET put my boy on antibiotics months ago n he has gotten alit better..but as u can see in the picture..What im still little concerned about...The way the side of his nose all around his whiskers..and eye looks months later..Anyone have any input...Ideas etc...???TIA
20191109_102016.jpg
20191109_102016.jpg
20191109_102016.jpg

Sorry it posted too many pics...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You're right it looks more red than pink. Does he scratch the area at all or seem uncomfortable? Is the white area of his eye normally colored?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
He scratches around the both sides of his chin area...And that white area of the eye thats red is where he had what the Vet said conjunctivitis..n possible herpes..No it doesn't seem to bother him..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I truly think he has herpes, and with Snowball it is apparently going to affect his eye and the area around it. Have you tried L-lysine or gotten an anti-viral meds from the vet to treat him on an ongoing basis? These types of treatments are used to suppress the herpes from repeatedly becoming active. If his eye is not yet looking like it did previously when the vet said he had conjunctivitis, that is good! But, it could be heading in that direction. I would call the vet and tell them what you are seeing and ask if another round of antibiotics would be in order and about the use of something like L-lysine or an anti-viral med for a preventative/maintenance treatment - if he is not already on something.

The scratching around his chin - is that new or has that been going on for a while? Does it seem tied to his eye area - as in, when his eye area is worse, so is his chin scratching? If so, you might mention that to the vet as well.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
He scratches around the both sides of his chin area...And that white area of the eye thats red is where he had what the Vet said conjunctivitis..n possible herpes..
Hi. I truly think he has herpes, and with Snowball it is apparently going to affect his eye and the area around it. Have you tried L-lysine or gotten an anti-viral meds from the vet to treat him on an ongoing basis? These types of treatments are used to suppress the herpes from repeatedly becoming active. If his eye is not yet looking like it did previously when the vet said he had conjunctivitis, that is good! But, it could be heading in that direction. I would call the vet and tell them what you are seeing and ask if another round of antibiotics would be in order and about the use of something like L-lysine or an anti-viral med for a preventative/maintenance treatment - if he is not already on something.

The scratching around his chin - is that new or has that been going on for a while? Does it seem tied to his eye area - as in, when his eye area is worse, so is his chin scratching? If so, you might mention that to the vet as well.
He was on antibiotics..and Lysine...And the vet said AWHILE back that he didnt want to give him nothing else...To see how it did without any more treatment...And its alot better now than it was...Knock on wood...It just like its taking forever to get that side of his face back to normal..Which it may never get back to same as it was before the issue....But u read about the issue didn't START until I tried getting him a new friend MONTHS AGO...Right???Cause THAT kitten had been treated for URI...and the VET gave it the ALL CLEAR to bring him home around my boy...Snowball...Said the kitten tested negative for herpes virus...Not sure but I guess when snowball got the URI his went into the herpes virus..I dont know..what u think...What antiviral med can I ask VET for to give him ongoing for prevention...????And does herpes in a cat leave scarring persay on the nose area like that???

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In the 'big scheme of things' does it really matter how Snowball contracted herpes, if that is what he has? He could have always had it and because of age it is now becoming more active, and/or the URI triggered it into active status, so to speak, as you say.

When you say "He was on antibiotics..and Lysine..." - is he still on Lysine? It is my understanding that is an ongoing treatment, not necessarily to be stopped like you would do with an antibiotic. So, if he is still not on it, maybe resume it with him and see if it helps. I am no expert by any means, but I don't believe there is any harm in continually giving Lysine to him. Not to say it is the answer, but it is worth a shot to see if it helps any over time.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
In the 'big scheme of things' does it really matter how Snowball contracted herpes, if that is what he has? He could have always had it and because of age it is now becoming more active, and/or the URI triggered it into active status, so to speak, as you say.

When you say "He was on antibiotics..and Lysine..." - is he still on Lysine? It is my understanding that is an ongoing treatment, not necessarily to be stopped like you would do with an antibiotic. So, if he is still not on it, maybe resume it with him and see if it helps. I am no expert by any means, but I don't believe there is any harm in continually giving Lysine to him. Not to say it is the answer, but it is worth a shot to see if it helps any over time.
No it doesn't matter how it was contacted..im just curious being the kitten had...had an URI...Thats ALL...And NO he hasnt been on Lysine recently...but when he was on it..it didn't seem to HELP..thats why he hasnt been on it ...for awhile

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would talk to your vet about incorporating lysine as a daily, ongoing treatment for Snowball, and see what they say and what product they would recommend. I don't think it is intended for occasional use, and I do believe I understand that to be most effective, it needs to be given over a long period of time.

"More than 50% of cats have feline herpes virus which may lead to a number of respiratory problems...Lysine improves your cat's health by supporting its metabolism, regulating its hormone production, aiding in their digestion and promoting normal functioning of its organs. It also helps the cat to produce healthy collagen, skin cells and fur...Not only will it treat feline herpes, but will also manage viral rhinotracheitis, conjunctivitis and other such problems...The cat’s body does not produce it naturally.

Also, Lysine for Cats - Benefits, Dosage and Side Effects

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I would talk to your vet about incorporating lysine as a daily, ongoing treatment for Snowball, and see what they say and what product they would recommend. I don't think it is intended for occasional use, and I do believe I understand that to be most effective, it needs to be given over a long period of time.

"More than 50% of cats have feline herpes virus which may lead to a number of respiratory problems...Lysine improves your cat's health by supporting its metabolism, regulating its hormone production, aiding in their digestion and promoting normal functioning of its organs. It also helps the cat to produce healthy collagen, skin cells and fur...Not only will it treat feline herpes, but will also manage viral rhinotracheitis, conjunctivitis and other such problems...The cat’s body does not produce it naturally.

Ive already started snowball back on the Lysine...Thanks for the tip

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

[/QUOTE
He does seem I noticed today to be trying to scratch on that side of his face more than other side...

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

Since I started him back on ive noticed his redness on his skin around the eye is worse..n ive researched n it says some cats have skin irritation from Lysine...n come to think of it..thats why i stopped it in the first place..any other suggestions???TIA

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
There were some older threads about Bovine lactoferrin instead of lysine. So, I searched this site for more recent information; see link below for some members input, you might have already seen some of them?

Search Results for Query: lactoferrin
And yes Ive noticed him scratching ..I thought it was his chin hes scratching...im beginning to THINK its that red area on side of his nose..may be itching..cause hes NOT scratching at the other side...What can I do in terms of the itchiness...I will contact the VET...But im just saying any ideas to what could help with the itchiness...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can always try chamomile tea - buy these tea bags from the grocery store as most of them are German - you don't what English, nor do you want any additives/flavorings. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid and dab it on the area with cotton balls or a soft cloth a few times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
You can always try chamomile tea - buy these tea bags from the grocery store as most of them are German - you don't what English, nor do you want any additives/flavorings. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid and dab it on the area with cotton balls or a soft cloth a few times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties.
Yea im doing that...