Skeletal diseased feral cat has been hanging out on my back porch wailing mournfully. What to do?

catdaycare230

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is an immature black feral cat hanging on and around my back porch/house for about a month. He is super skinny, like skeletal almost and it is clear that he is very diseased. He usually has green snot coming out of his nose and eye(s). The other strays that I feed won't go near him, even the big alpha male stays away from him. I started to feed him, it looks like he is starving to death.

I have named him Hissy, due to his aggressive hissing at anything that comes near him. Lately I have brought food out to him but he wont eat it, instead he just wails and cries and sits on my back porch doormat. I told him to eat but he wont. Then I go in the house and look out the window at him and he just sits facing the door.

I am wondering if he has rabies. He acts strangely and has spasms and twitches a lot. There are bugs always flying around him and he is very dirty. He doesnt seem to be cleaning himself. He is not afraid of me. Anyone have any ideas?

You cant really tell from the pictures but he is extremely dirty and skeletal thin. He is just sitting in a way that makes him look thicker.

Last edited by a moderator:

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he may have been someone's pet at one time since he is looking to you for help, he obviously trusts humans.  He may have been abandoned, poor soul.  Chances are he has a upper respiratory infection, fleas (twitching), and any other assortment of things wrong.

Can you get him trapped and to a vet?  If he could be helped, he might turn out to be a good pet.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdaycare230

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like he may have been someone's pet at one time since he is looking to you for help, he obviously trusts humans.  He may have been abandoned, poor soul.  Chances are he has a upper respiratory infection, fleas (twitching), and any other assortment of things wrong.

Can you get him trapped and to a vet?  If he could be helped, he might turn out to be a good pet.
I would like to adopt him but I am allergic, so he would have to remain a yard cat. Im not sure whether he trusts me or is starving to death and willing to take the risk of getting close to me in order to get food. He does wheeze a little and his meows are not vibrant healthy meows but are scratchy, strained and wailing-type meows. The chances of trapping him and getting him to a vet are slim.

I just checked on him about 5 minutes ago, he is still sitting on my back porch near the door. I gave him some milk since he wouldnt eat the wet food I put out there earlier.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Could you call a local vet or no-kill shelter to see if they can lend you a humane trap? You could also try getting a cheap carrier, drape a towel over it and put some food in there - if he goes in to eat, shut the carrier door and get him to a vet. :vibes::vibes::vibes: for the poor thing.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
take him to a vet and find out whats wrong with him you don't want him getting other cats sick help the poor guy out

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? Can you find out if there are any rescue organizations in your area that will help you trap this poor kitty and get him looked after?

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are many on here who trap feral cats.  It can be done.  Check out the some of the tips in this forum topic for more ideas.

I would not call Animal Control as they will most likely put him down.  A no kill rescue group would be his best chance.

It seems he is an outdoor kitty now.  Getting him healthy and providing some food and some type of shelter (this forum has info on shelter for outdoor kitties) would at least give him a chance.  You could always re-home him. 

Hopefully there is a rescue organization that can foster him until a new home is found.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you let us know where you're located, we can at least help you look for local help. I'm not sure why you think he couldn't be trapped.... if the trap is properly set up and baited, if he's hungry, it shouldn't be a problem at all. Our local vets have traps to lend, you may want to at least call around. And if the vets don't, the local shelters often rent them - sometimes for free, they just need a deposit that is returned when you return the trap. :rub:

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would like to adopt him but I am allergic, so he would have to remain a yard cat. Im not sure whether he trusts me or is starving to death and willing to take the risk of getting close to me in order to get food. He does wheeze a little and his meows are not vibrant healthy meows but are scratchy, strained and wailing-type meows. The chances of trapping him and getting him to a vet are slim.

I just checked on him about 5 minutes ago, he is still sitting on my back porch near the door. I gave him some milk since he wouldnt eat the wet food I put out there earlier.
Many cats do not tolerate milk.  Try some no salt broth instead.

beth1955

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't tell you how many times I've had this exact thing happen.  Usually I have no money whatsoever to help out a stray or feral cat.  And even when I do, it takes a bit to do what needs to be done.  If you are young, healthy, have a job where your boss doesn't mind if you miss a little work, you can trap him.

Try to borrow a trap from your Animal Control office.They usually are happy to lend you one. In my town, Animal Control does NOTHING with cats.  Basically you are on your own when it comes to cat issues.  Unless it's a bite case.

Bait the trap, set the trap, catch him.  IF you have money, take him to the vet.  (don't forget to put the towel or blanket over the cage--cover the entire cage for your safety and the safety of your car.  You don't want him urinating, pooping or anything else inside your car)

The vet can deal with a wild cat.  They have ways.  They have an antibiotic shot now....can't remember the name.  Something like Convenia......it lasts for 6 weeks, so you don't have to worry about trying to medicate a feral cat every day, 3 times a day which is impossible.  The problem is since he is sick, he would have to be treated for that first, and then neutered later on and you might not be able to trap him a 2nd time.  I absolutely admire with every fiber in my being the people that do this on a daily basis.  The rescue group people have all my respect.  What usually happens with me is I'm like you--I find the cats.  But them I have to depend on them to do the things that either take time or money.    It's a very sad situation out there.  Could be SO much better if people would get their cats spayed/neutered. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sending vibes that you do trap this kitty. He is ill and sickly and needs help and I mean, sadly, even if that means help to the bridge :rbheart: If he is howling and crying, and in such debilitated condition, he needs help right away. I am certain you could trap this cat easily. He must be starving. Poor baby, please help him... :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding cats and rabies: Rabies in cats is fairly rare; bats, skunks, and raccoons are the big risk. Here in the US we haven't had a cat-to-human rabies transmission since 1975. So it's extremely unlikely. In his case, since he's been showing symptoms of illness for a month, it's even less likely, because rabies is fatal within a week of symptoms showing up, usually.

He must be miserable. Even if you can only take him to a shelter, even if they euthanize him, it will be better than his having to starve to death out there. It's likely that his illness comes from fleas, lack of food, and living rough--especially if he has been a pet. His rough voice may be the result of a sore throat due to an upper respiratory infection. His runny eyes and nose point to the same problem, the equivalent of a cold or flu that he just can't fight off because he's so weak.

Do try to get him trapped. You can't be expected to do more than you've got the resources to do, but you can at least prevent him from having to die painfully and alone, hungry and sick. Sometimes that's all we can do for them.

Last edited:

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To Mewlittle - The biggest problem with declawing is the lack of education. Many people do not realize what declawing does to a cat. I was lucky enough to save one from this torture last month by educating it's guardian exactly what declawing was. She was horrified. She thought they "simply removed the nail.' Everytime I am in the pet store and hear someone say they are going to declaw their cat because nothing else works, I take them over to the nail caps and introduce them to each other. I also suggest that the scratcher (if any) they are providing for their cat may not be one the cat likes. One of mine uses sisal, one uses cardboard, and the other a stuffed pillow. None of them scratch the furniture. And they all get manicures from me. Rescue, adopt, C&R, feed and love.

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I notice one thing that is not mentioned in this thread, so I will mention it, as painful as it is. One day my normally healthy 17 year old Burmese started sneezing. Constantly. I took her to the vet the following day and he could find nothing wrong with her. She was eating twice as much as usual and getting thinner. Two days later, her eyes and nose started to run, and she started oozing large amounts of mucus from her mouth. Back to the vet, still could find nothing wrong. She was still getting thinner, but eating. But, come on, runny eyes, nose and mouth and nothing wrong? Switched vets the next day. They started immediate treatment for upper respiratory infection and ran lots of tests. When the test results came back, they showed no respiratory problems. By this time she was down to 6 lbs. and not eating at all. Sounds like where you kitty is about now. Here is the heartbreaking part. Less than 14 days after she started sneezing I had to make the decision no cat lover wants to make. But my love for her would not allow me to watch her suffer any longer. Exactly 2 months shy of her 17th birthday, my baby went to sleep forever, in my arms. She had brain cancer. Please don't let the cat suffer. Get on the internet and find any cat rescue place you can in your area. They probably can advise you who to call to pick up this poor creature and stop its suffering. Bast be with you and her.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To Mewlittle - The biggest problem with declawing is the lack of education. Many people do not realize what declawing does to a cat. I was lucky enough to save one from this torture last month by educating it's guardian exactly what declawing was. She was horrified. She thought they "simply removed the nail.' Everytime I am in the pet store and hear someone say they are going to declaw their cat because nothing else works, I take them over to the nail caps and introduce them to each other. I also suggest that the scratcher (if any) they are providing for their cat may not be one the cat likes. One of mine uses sisal, one uses cardboard, and the other a stuffed pillow. None of them scratch the furniture. And they all get manicures from me. Rescue, adopt, C&R, feed and love.
I know what declawing is its horrible non of my cats are declawed

madcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please please try and get puss to a vet. It might be something terminal or it could be something treatable. If you cat take him see if anyone else can help you. In the UK, if you tip up to a vet with a rescue they will often treat for free as long as you are prepared to home!! If you dont ask you done get!

madcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mewlittle / Hershey's mum, I cant belive declawing is still legal, how much of an outcry would there be if we chopped peoples finger ends off to stop them damaging things!!
. IMO cats dont ask to be born or rehomed so we need to take some responsibity for their holistic welfare if we take them in, ie, accepting cats have claws and they scratch!! By your posts I guess I am preaching to the converted so sorry about the rant. I usually refrain from putting anything controvercial on any forums

Anyway, just wanted to show some support for NOT declawing

I however have a much more humane alternative...

Reclaimed wooden furniture,....looks great and makes amazing scratching  / chewing posts. Nothing in my house has any corners left but it makes it completely origional!!

If we are napping and its too much trouble to get to the "scratch post" there is always the "back of the hand alternative" or the "throw from the sofa alternative"

I really dont care what they scratch / chew as long as they are happy and healthy, especially having lost Pugsley at 6 years to FIV and his brother Murphy to cancer at 6 and a half! Hubby and I are of the opinion that its their home as much as ours and as for having visitors, the party line is if you dont like cats, dont come!!

Anyway, been on the site for about two weeks and nice to meet ya!

Mandy, John and 14 kitties!