Six Week Old Kittens Eating Liter And Using Food As Liter

Christine Ritchie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a momma kitty and three kittens that are a little over five weeks old. Every time I put them in the liter box they eat it, no play, no digging around, every time. I tried to let them learn it's not good but they keep doing it. Also, when I try to give them actual food (kitten kibble mixed with water/wet kitten food) they try to dig it and use it as a liter box. This has been going on for over a week now.... not sure what to do

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear, hopefully it's non-clumping litter.

They are probably a week too young to fully understand the litter box. Put doggie pee pads around it just in case.

I usually put kittens in the box before and after meals and take a little paw and show them how to dig, but they need to be ready. Yours may need another week or so.

Regarding the food, you may want to make a slurry using soft wet food mixed with water or kitten formula, and try putting some on their gums so they taste it. Leave out the dry food for now.

Or perhaps take it away completely for 2-3 days, then start over and see if they will lick it off their gums or your finger.

I know it's frustrating. They will catch on soon though! :)

SiameseHimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes its even easier when you make sloppy food to have them step in it. Kittens and also cats have a natural reaction to lick things off of their feet. Hope this helps!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christine Ritchie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the food is going much better and same with the liter....except for one little female. She will NOT go in the box. I have tried literally six different liters now and still no luck. I am to the point that I put her in the box every thirty minutes to an hour and she has absolutely no interest at all. I dig in it, use her paw to dig, she watches all the others use it but she won't. When I catch her tryin to go where she's not supposed to I grab her and put her directly in the box but she jumps right out and runs away and squats again. I've even put more boxes in spots she tends to go on the floor but she just finds a new spot

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she is not quite ready. Maybe put doggie pee pads down in her favorite spots to go for now. Some kittens take a little longer than others.