six week old kitten wont eat, drink, and hasnt used the bathroom??

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got this kitten today and ive been trying to feed him and nothing has worked. I watered down some kibble and its like he's hungry but he cant grab it or chew it. Im so worried that the poor thing is going to starve. He's been with me for at least 7 hours and in that time he has eaten maybe one or two little kibble pieces. He also has not drank any water what so ever. I dont know how to get him to drink. And in the time he has been with me he hasnt used the bathroom. I tried stimulating him and nothing happened. Please help me I am worried sick. Im a first time cat owner and Im not sure if i should be panicking or not. My main concern is that he cant eat. The previous owners said he was eating softened kibble but he cant seem to eat it. Even if I do get imitation milk will he be all right all night without food?? Please help me!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm on my phone so I can't post links but please look in the Articles section for hand rearing kittens. If the kitten is not eating or drinking on his own you may need to syringe feed him, but you need to do this very carefully. There's a youtube video on how to do this properly. I'm not sure what you should feed for a six week old. KMR and A/D are the ones I've seen recommended. Hopefully some more experienced members will be on to help you.

I do think you need to be concerned. Kittens that age need to eat frequently.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Get some KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement), put it down on a saucer and dip his nose in it. He should start drinking. It's possible whoever you got him from took him away without him being properly weaned from mama (6 weeks old is too early for a kitten to be leaving it's mother anyways.) Get some wet kitten food, you can water it down with the kitten replacement milk, then smear some of the food on his tongue. He should get the taste, realize it's food, and get the hang of it pretty quickly. Wet food is much better for them. As for pottying, at 6 weeks old they should be going on their own and he should get used to the litterbox pretty quickly. Once he gets some food in his system hopefully he'll become regular. You've only had him for 7 hours and with a change in environment he may just be a bit scared and stressed to go.

Is he drinking ok? You want to make sure he's staying hydrated.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh thank goodness someone with experience answered. I felt out of depth here but felt bad no one was answering and the OP seemed so panicked. Thanks for stepping in clynn!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will also be very unsettled with the change of household - far more so than an older kitten, he really is just a baby at present.  Keep him in a relatively confined area to start with.  Firstly he can't find some hidey hold to crawl into, secondly he can't suddenly realise he needs the litter tray and can't remember where it is well enough to get there in time.  Don't crowd him, sit with him (read, watch TV, occupy yourself somehow) and let him come to you.

Once he's settled down and is eating and so on (a couple of weeks), he needs a vet check, worming and vaccinations.  And find out how soon the vets would be prepared to castrate him.

Do check him now for fleas and consult the vet (phone) if there is any sign - far easier to deal with them now than leave them.  Avoid petshop wormers and flea treatments - they vary from safe but useless to quite dangerous, especially for a small kitten.

siscokity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would syringe feed him, just a little at a time, he may have mouth soars, you can also go to a pet store and get a little bottle for new borns and feed him that way, you do not want it pouring out or you could drowned your kitty. You can also try GERBER chicken food, 1stage. You will need to get him to the vet
To make sure he is not dehydrated and they can give him a B shot and a little pill to make him hungry If the kitten was vaccinated this could be a reaction.
You may also put a little bit of can cat food or baby food on your finger and put at the roof of him mouth. Get him to the vet. Me I would sleep in the same room with him, keep him in a small area, low litter box, try not to use clumping yet, it can make them sick. You will do fine

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if this kitten is as old as the OP was told?  Could they tell us what colour his eyes are?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder if this kitten is as old as the OP was told?  Could they tell us what colour his eyes are?
Well thank you for all of the answers. I had wet food but he was having trouble chewing it. Last night (when I posted it) I was able to break the wet food into even smaller pieces and I hand fed him as much as he would eat (which was not much). I got him some of the mushy wet food today and he can eat that much easier.

On another note, I am having trouble getting him to drink water. I have tried letting him get the taste off my finger and nothing seems to work. He doesnt seem to know how to drink from the bowl. I know he knows where the water is becasue he has gone up to it and put his nose almost in it, but hasnt drunk from it. What can I do to help him drink?

OrientalSlave: I have been wondering just what your thinking. His eyes are starting to turn grey but you can still see the blue in them. If I can get a good picture ill put it up but he's dark so Im not sure how much that will help. Do his eyes seem like that of a six week old kitten?