Six-month-old Alaska Is Growing Up!

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awesome profile, if indo say so myself. His lynx tips were looking thin and pointy instead of brushy like some Euros I've seen, but it appears it may have just been his kitten coat. They're catching up splendidly. His ruff has been coming in within the past month, which leads me to believe he will have a very full "mane", as unaltered males often don't get this until closer to a year of age, from what my show mentor has told me. I love this picture. He photographs best in natural sunlight. Pic has been warmth balanced to get rid of the yellow bias of the camera in the sun.

orca-image-1519771937223.jpg_1519771937376_20180228054208298.jpg

Here he is about to nap on my shoulder. We're traveling in my husband's truck so I can spend extra time with him. We don't get anywhere near enough. Alaska often joins us, for his socialization. I want him to feel comfortable in any situation, and I often let truckers pet him. They get lonely on the road and Alaska gets to bond with more strangers. Everybody wins! Him being comfortable enough to relax on a loud, bumpy, moving 18 wheeler is a good sign of his confidence.

IMG_20180227_180959837.jpg

Catching some Z's on mommy's shoulder. Look at those mighty mitts! He's growing into a handsome boy indeed. Now that we have a breeder's contact, we will be getting him a lady friend as soon as the right pair of unrelated cats breeds from Alaska's breeder. We have a good relationship with her, love her cats, and shes nearby. Plus, her newest female js nothing short of breath-taking, imported straight from the Ukraine!

IMG_20180227_180952326.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the new pics! Some more professional, less improptu photos will be taken when we get home. But when you're riding eleven hours, there's not much to do, so you end up snapping photos! Heck I might take more today, lol.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
:wow:What a handsome boy. Have you been showing him?
You're going to have your hands full when he grows into those paws. :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't shown him just yet.

From my understanding, only solid white MC's can have blue eyes, right? Well, he's still got a little of his grey streak on his head. My mentor and I have done "mock shows" to give both of us an idea of what to expect, and he goes everywhere with me he's allowed, for socialization.

And trust me, he's already a handful. He's still the craziest kitten I've ever seen, and the strongest cat in the house. His hobbies include: thieving straws from drinks, knocking anything too tall and thin off surfaces (I can line plastic cups in a row and he will knock them down one after the other. If there's a Guinness world record for this, we're gonna try and break it!) doing anything he can to drink soda because he found out from knocking glasses of it over, he loves it, attacking people's scalps in their sleep, chewing on guitar strings, terrorizing the other cats, and loving everyone he meets, purring and kneading as we scratch that irresistible ruff, until he decides it's chomp/bear hug time!

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Alaska is an extremely handsome Maine Coon. It's must not be too difficult to put up with his mischievous side since he is a lover and purrs irresistibly. :lovecat:

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alaska is an extremely handsome Maine Coon. It's must not be too difficult to put up with his mischievous side since he is a lover and purrs irresistibly. :lovecat:
I can't even stay mad at him. He broke my coffee mug and I was just like "Oh well now I can get that one I wanted" lol.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Here is my boy. He's only 7 months old and is already big.
Those eyes are simply mesmerizing! What a beauty. Alaska's were like that when he came home but they're now this interesting silver with blue on the edges. It's an odd color, but it suits him.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! He is a solid white Ragdoll. The eyes are actually vivid blue. It depends on the lighting. Yours is beautiful too! I like the masculine features and muzzle :) Maine Coon is also a favorite cat of mine.

Attachments

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! He is a solid white Ragdoll. The eyes are actually vivid blue. It depends on the lighting. Yours is beautiful too! I like the masculine features and muzzle :) Maine Coon is also a favorite cat of mine.
:thud:oh those eyes!! They're like a blissful pool of blue water on a hot summer's day. You just want to dive right in and be immersed forever. :loveeyes:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't shown him just yet. From my understanding, only solid white MC's can have blue eyes, right? Well, he's still got a little of his grey streak on his head. My mentor and I have done "mock shows" to give both of us an idea of what to expect, and he goes everywhere with me he's allowed, for socialization.
Hi mistydawn,

Judges know that solid white kittens often have a gray streak on the head, don't worry about that! Go ahead and take your pretty boy to some shows. :) It's good practice for you and for your cat.

At most shows there will be multiple Maine Coons present, which is great for you as a new breeder. You will meet other Maine Coon breeders, and get the opportunity to handle other Maine Coons (ask nicely and disinfect your hands first). You can also get feedback on your cat and on your show grooming skills, not only from the judges but also from other breeders (if you ask). Since you want to start showing and breeding, you want to learn all you can about your breed, develop show grooming skills, get as much feedback as you can, and develop relationships with other breeders. Right now is a great time to go to a show, since the show season runs until the end of April, and there are quite a few shows right now all over the country. There will be fewer shows in the summer.

Also, to answer your question, blue (or odd) eyes are allowed for all Maine Coons with white markings, not only for solid white cats.
Here is the CFA standard for your breed: http://cfa.org/Portals/0/documents/breeds/standards/maine.pdf
"White cats and all cats with white may have blue or odd eyes."
Here is the TICA standard for your breed: https://www.tica.org/pdf/publications/standards/mc.pdf
In TICA, the Maine Coon standard says that all colors are allowed but does not include color descriptions, so in order to find the eye color requirements you need to look in the the Uniform Color Descriptions document here:
https://tica.org/pdf/publications/ucd.pdf
"whites ... may have aqua, blue or odd-eyes, and ... cats exhibiting the white spotting factor ... may have blue or odd-eyes."