Site Jumpingis It An Issue

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I am no expert on the site but having increasing difficulties. As I type pop ups are taking over, alerts are not coming through, pages have to reload and freezing. I have to log out and back in but even then I can’t always get in. What can I do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've also had to log back in after getting abruptly booted, several times these past couple of weeks.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We've been investigating and so far couldn't track down any issues with the server. The reports aren't widespread and what's more, there is no consistency, making it impossible for us to reproduce so we can track them down.

Since the server looks ok on our end, this could be an ISP issue, or even a local computer issue. Having said that, we'll definitely keep an eye out, taking these reports into account, so thank you again for reporting! If you see anything else, please do let us know.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We've been investigating and so far couldn't track down any issues with the server. The reports aren't widespread and what's more, there is no consistency, making it impossible for us to reproduce so we can track them down.

Since the server looks ok on our end, this could be an ISP issue, or even a local computer issue. Having said that, we'll definitely keep an eye out, taking these reports into account, so thank you again for reporting! If you see anything else, please do let us know.
Don't know if it will help but I use a VPN and most pop ups are disabled because they can't trace back through the VPN server. At least this is what I have been told. So I have had no issues with any of the adds or anything like that. I don't close the tabs I am using when I close Firefox (what I use) and it is set to resume/reopen the last session when I restart so I essentially never have to log back in as Firefox does it automatically. The down side is that I have the tendency to leave open all the tabs I have been working with so I don't have to look stuff up again. The tally of that is over 500 and as a result sometimes this web site pauses and I get a yellow bar that says it's not responding but that is because I have maxed out the size of the allocated cash for the web browser. It's my fault not yours. When that happens I simply close Firefox and restart and I am back to where I was but with the cash cleared and plenty of working memory. So, I doubt this helps you figure things out but you have it for what it's worth. I would tend to think these people are having problems with addware and spyware rather than your web site.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Regarding the jumpy-ness/jerkiness, I don't know if this is the same as Jcatbird Jcatbird but when I'm on my phone, I have to wait until all the ads are loaded, because while they are loading the body of the TCS page I want to work with literally jerks up and down.

If I try to tap on something before the ads and whatever else is loaded and the page has stabilized, for example I'm tapping on a title to open an article, what may actually open is the article above it, or sometimes a tag from the article above the one I want might be what opens. If I wait til the page stops jumping, I have no issues.

Also possibly related, I believe, the search option field, where you type in the text, often requires me to tap two and three times on the option to re open it, because the text box won't stay open until the ads are loaded.

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a tablet and stylus, and I also have a problem with the page jumping up and down several times, resulting in tapping on the wrong item. Also, sometimes when I attempt to scroll down on a page, it jumps back to the top of the page all by itself.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a tablet and stylus, and I also have a problem with the page jumping up and down several times, resulting in tapping on the wrong item. Also, sometimes when I attempt to scroll down on a page, it jumps back to the top of the page all by itself.
That seems to be a problem with tablets. Mine does the same thing. (The most annoying thing is having to touch something 6 or 8 times to connect.) I'm on my desktop computer right now, and none of the problems everyone is having with TCS are appearing. Maybe it's the tablets or phones, not the site.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Right, phones and small screens are more of a challenge with ad loading in general. I see that on other sites too. I believe this has to do not only with the ads but also with the way the template is constructed.

We're about to upgrade the site's platform in October, and this will include a brand new template. We're trying to make sure everything will look as close as possible to what it does now to help with a smooth transition for everyone, but behind-the-scenes there will be a far more robust structure holding it all up. With that in mind, I really hope these issues will go away on the new platform.

I do appreciate the reports - they are helpful. I appreciate everyone's patience with fixing the issues even more :hearthrob:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
- This from an IT nerd I asked -
~ As a website becomes more "busy" ( more visitors/ ads/ script/ etc ) you will need more memory and processor. Try clearing the cache on your device & check to see available memory. You may also wait 30-60 seconds immediately after entering the site to allow time to load completely . :compsurfing: `:crash:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
- This from an IT nerd I asked -
~ As a website becomes more "busy" ( more visitors/ ads/ script/ etc ) you will need more memory and processor. Try clearing the cache on your device & check to see available memory. You may also wait 30-60 seconds immediately after entering the site to allow time to load completely . :compsurfing: `:crash:
I don't see how more visitors would affect that. TCS isn't exceptionally ad-intense or script-heavy but I guess older devices could have an issue with modern sites in general? :dunno:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been trying to investigate on my end. I am experiencing continued problems. I have been clearing things out, changing settings etc. I still get pages jumping, pages freezing, finding myself propelled back out of the site or to the top of a thread, it’s not anything I have ever experienced. Posting on my thread with photos and text goes pretty well but trying to assist others on their threads seems to bring about the worst issues. It often takes many attempts to complete an answer. I am , admittedly, not technically advanced and do not participate in other sites but today I took the time to see what would happen with my system on other sites. Everything performed without any difficulty so it appears my equipment is functioning. :dunno: Lol I don’t know if that information is helpful in any way but I thought I would offer it in case it provides a clue. Yay for the new platform in October!!! :clap2::crossfingers:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I am no expert on the site but having increasing difficulties. As I type pop ups are taking over, alerts are not coming through, pages have to reload and freezing. I have to log out and back in but even then I can’t always get in. What can I do?
I would tend to think these people are having problems with addware and spyware rather than your web site.
Regarding the jumpy-ness/jerkiness, I don't know if this is the same as Jcatbird Jcatbird but when I'm on my phone, I have to wait until all the ads are loaded, because while they are loading the body of the TCS page I want to work with literally jerks up and down.
Maybe it's the tablets or phones, not the site.
I don't have the issues I described when I'm on my desktop either
Right, phones and small screens are more of a challenge with ad loading in general. I see that on other sites too. I believe this has to do not only with the ads but also with the way the template is constructed.
As a website becomes more "busy" ( more visitors/ ads/ script/ etc ) you will need more memory and processor.
Sorry for the multiple quotes, but I feel they are all relate to my possible theory...

Often there are hidden or third-party sites within marketing or advertising bundles or within certain apps for phones or mobile computers... some of those are known to "hijack" a browser and make it do a lot of pop-ups and/or redirects and other things. I have seen the particular sites "ce . lijit . com" (I purposely spaced that address out because after I posted, I saw it wanted to make it a link!) and "ps.eyeota.net" show up in the status bar when I am on TCS lately, that is, what shows up is "Waiting for ps.eyeota.net" or "Waiting for ce . lijit . com". It stalls the loading of the web pages. I am not a tech person, so I only have a vague clue how to solve this but... maybe the tech person can look there to start (at marketing bundles or software and the sites or bots within?), or can walk people through with a fix if they are having browser problems with these two sites. I dunno.