Sister Cats suddenly stopped getting along after one of them lost a leg

Repliciara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my two cats Leonie and Luna are sisters and we got them together when they were 1 year old. They always got along very well, but after Luna went missing for two months and came back with a badly injured leg, which had to be amputated and after she returned from the vet Leonie stopped getting along with her and luna became aggressive towards her. Its not that they´re both aggressive cats, since we got two new female kittens a year ago and luna and leonie get along with them just fine just not with each other. Does someone know why luna and leonie stopped getting along?

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello, my two cats Leonie and Luna are sisters and we got them together when they were 1 year old. They always got along very well, but after Luna went missing for two months and came back with a badly injured leg, which had to be amputated and after she returned from the vet Leonie stopped getting along with her and luna became aggressive towards her. Its not that they´re both aggressive cats, since we got two new female kittens a year ago and luna and leonie get along with them just fine just not with each other. Does someone know why luna and leonie stopped getting along?
I had a similar situation with my tripod Buffalo. He had 4 legs and had one amputated, and everyone else treated him like a brand new cat. From the best I can tell, it's the change in body language that the tripod exhibits that causes the change in everyone. Remember, cats display very distinct body language to convey all types of emotions, wants and needs. Even a change in how a cat stands or walks displays a different message. Short of a slow reintroduction as if Luna is a new cat, it'll take some time for Leonie to get used to Luna's new body language.
As for the new kittens, they didn't know the previous body language, so they aren't aware of the change.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How recent was the vet visit? If it was yesterday or even a few days ago, there's a strong chance Luna still smells like vet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is actually so common that there is a name for it, "non-recognition aggression." It happens when one cat leaves for a time, then comes back smelling totally different. And the vet's office is the most frequent culprit! This article will give you some helpful hints on how to successfully "reintroduce" them to each other.

It takes time and patience, but it can be done. How much time? Depends on the cats involved. But it can be done!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have strong survival instincts. Besides all said above, a cat returning and seen as changed, sick or weak could be viewed as a liability to others in a colony. Cats can hide pain for this reason. Although many cats will tend to sick or wounded, some are afraid it can attract predators. The most dominant cat may be the one to show concern about this but as time passes and your baby demonstrates that all is consistent and there is not an illness that threatens, your other kitty may show more curiosity and then great compassion. You may begin to see shows of washing each other and rebonding. Give them time and try scent swapping. It might help. I’m so sorry that Luna got hurt. I know this is stressful and that plays a part as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Repliciara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The amputation was 6 years ago. They have started to get along better since we moved to a new house. Leonie is also a very jealous cat. It was also weird that only Leonie stopped getting along with her. we had a elderly male cat who always stayed around Luna even after she lost a leg. After he died Luna wanted to be left alone a lot. She had a hard time getting used to having 3 legs but she stood her ground and got really stubborn. Now she is 9 years old and still active. She lets the two lil cats clean her while leonie is neutral to the lil ones but they are kinda scared of her, but since we moved there arent any big cat fights. Only sometimes Leonie goes after Luna but Luna quickly puts leonie in her place. Last year Luna and Leonie went outside together without fighting which is a first. Even thoguh they dont get along as they used to they stopped attacking each other.
IMG-20210220-WA0000.jpg