Sister cat hates brother after vet visit

sabca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 - 5 yo cats, brother and sister. Bonded pair. Had them for 5 years. Desi, the boy, had dental surgery on Wednesday. Brought him home later in the day and Lucy has been growling at him every since. It's been 2 days now. I was out for a few hours today and when I came home they were both laying on my bed, one on each side but about 3 feet apart. It's a king-size. They usually sleep right next to each other. I sprayed pheromones around but that didn't seem to work. They always eat off the same plate and are still doing that. Tonight, Lucy is just being beastly! Before I came home I bought some Comfort Zone diffusers, multi-cat. I also got deodorizing wipes and wiped Desi down with them. I expected Lucy to be a little put off when he came home but didn't expect it to go on this long. She seems to be getting worse. She even swiped at him this afternoon.

I am about at my wits end. Any suggestions as to what else I can do?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH, it generally takes a few days for the non-recognition aggression to die down...and what you're describing isn't even that bad. We've had members who had outright cat fights going on over this.

This article is full of good information on how to lessen this: How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats – Cat Articles

I've found that wiping down BOTH cats with REAL vanilla extract can help. They like the smell, it isn't harmful to them, and they both smell the same again...at least long enough for the worst of it to pass!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I also got deodorizing wipes and wiped Desi down with them. I expected Lucy to be a little put off when he came home but didn't expect it to go on this long. She seems to be getting worse. She even swiped at him this afternoon.

I am about at my wits end. Any suggestions as to what else I can do?
It is very normal for cats not to recognize each other after one of them is back from the vet due to the scent picked up from the vet's office.

The deodorizing wipes won't work. The only thing you can do take a soft cloth or small towel, rub gently over the body of the other cat that has not been to the vet and then use that cloth to gently wipe all over the cat that has been to the vet. This way, the scent is transferred and it'll be familiar scent to the cat that has not go to the vet.

Last edited:

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our experience was similar to what you are describing and it was so sad! The non-vet cat was no nervous and unhappy, while the vet-cat had no idea what was doing on and kept trying to cuddle with his brother. This went on for about a week for us, despite the attempts to share smells.

Keep an eye on things, but don't give up hope!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update 2/23/20: Don't know what helped but things are pretty much back to normal. Used the plug-ins, vanilla extract, wipes. Could be they just needed time. At any rate, it's all good now. Thanks for the help.

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s so funny when they take it out on each other. It’s totally normal and only lasts maybe a week. Don’t forget they come home reeking like multiple other animals and they are super confused. The longest I’ve had a kitty hold a undeserved grudge against my other cats was a week and a half and it was after a move. But now... cuddle buddies! Just like before

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh I haven’t been to this site in a while but just signed in for this exact reason! I have 10 cats and one of them had an emergent vet visit yesterday after she ate a length of ribbon. We got very lucky and they were able to help her pass the ribbon with the help of an enema. She was there all day and after I brought her home last night one of her sisters had a personality change and is walking around snarling and growling at not only her but all the rest of the cats as well. She has everyone all riled up now ( snarling kitty). It’s been just as bad today. I also tried the wipes and we already have 2 plug in feliway diffusers going at all times anyway plus I have the spray that I sprayed around too and am burning candles. I also did the sent transfer using a sock. this is horrible and very stressful. There has not been any flat out fighting but the snarling she is doing at anyone that crosses her path and the hissing is about to put me over the edge. I have classical music playing not only for them but me too. Guess I will try the vanilla extract tomorrow.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sabca sabca Very glad to hear that peace has been restored. :clap2:

6kittymama 6kittymama With more kitties around, there can be a bit more emphasis to the snarling. Try the vanilla and continue the scent swapping. I have a multi cat household and the tips listed in this thread are all good ones. Hopefully snarling kitty will relax quickly.

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think they just get confused, feel a bit embarrassed and ashamed and the smell of all those other animals not only at the vet but brought back to your house can be scary and unnerving. My sweetest cat Ophelia aka Ophie does this all the time when something changes that takes her out of her comfort zone. All of a sudden she’s raging and scary lol. And she’s normally such a cupcake! She literally bringing up my gifts for the night as I write. I can tell cause she squacks when she does it lol
They just need time... and remember to stay calm and don’t panic yourself cause they pick up on that so fast.

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also when Frankenstein went in for his emergency laparotomy, both my girls were hissing and growling at the poor dude when he came home. But now they love each other to bits!