Siri Had Her Spay Surgery And We Had Questions!

marianation04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 296297 Hi everyone!

So “Siri”our 4 month female kitten had her spay surgery two days ago, and they told us to keep her calm but she is acting all normal, no pain, she wants to jump and play, she is not licking or even lookuing at her stitch.What do you recomend? To let her do her normal routine? Or keep her in an small room?
Also I notice a little bump on her stitch? (Attached pic) do you think is normal?
87F1F4FE-2F18-41A1-8178-2C92AC89816E.jpeg 180DDF20-70FC-4FA8-A5FE-9AFCE5510E19.jpeg 0661CA77-1546-46C7-BF84-326651E64499.jpeg

Thanks a lot for the advice!!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi marianation04 and welcome to the forum !

"let her do her normal routine?" NO. Absolutely NOT !

"keep her in an small room?" YES......definitely !

"she is acting all normal, no pain, she wants to jump and play, she is not licking or even looking at her stitch."..........Yes, she's doing all that because her pain is controlled and her incision site has not been damaged by any kind of inappropriate activity.

This was major surgery. Healing will take a week to ten days - keep her confined and follow the rest of the discharge instructions you were given.

Keep us posted!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last kitten I had spayed was impossible to keep calm. She was a wild child, and I was afraid she'd injure herself trying to get out of the confinement area, which was more likely for her than if she just went about her normal business. And she healed just fine. So you have to decide what's best for her.

That's a very nice keyhole incision. Very tidy! The bump is normal; that's the internal stitches. If the lump gets bigger or the incision looks red and inflamed, definitely call the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marianation04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The last kitten I had spayed was impossible to keep calm. She was a wild child, and I was afraid she'd injure herself trying to get out of the confinement area, which was more likely for her than if she just went about her normal business. And she healed just fine. So you have to decide what's best for her.

That's a very nice keyhole incision. Very tidy! The bump is normal; that's the internal stitches. If the lump gets bigger or the incision looks red and inflamed, definitely call the vet.

Oh good to hear your story! Thanks for the reply and yes I will do what is best for her.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you need to remember is that it is we/us who have the ability to understand what's best for these little ones - they do and will not understand, most especially in this situation when they're not feeling any pain - literally.

I'd advise you not to interpret what was said there as 'Let her do what she wants'. We are the ones charges with the responsibility of care - they don't have the capacity to reason.

We don't allow toddlers to stroll out front doors...........

There are ways to manage (even) a kitten's recovery. Spending time with them, calming music (look up YouTube's "Music for Cats), calming treats and air sprays. Here's someone with some expertise in those: Furballsmom Furballsmom

There are plenty of threads here about spays that have gone 'south' - I'd hate to see yours added to that list!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello!

Here are some calming items for you to consider;

Only Natural Pet has a product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Sentry calming collar, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry, Comfort Zone and feliway, although diffusers are expensive and not always an answer.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

Last edited:

marianation04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What you need to remember is that it is we/us who have the ability to understand what's best for these little ones - they do and will not understand, most especially in this situation when they're not feeling any pain - literally.

I'd advise you not to interpret what was said there as 'Let her do what she wants'. We are the ones charges with the responsibility of care - they don't have the capacity to reason.

We don't allow toddlers to stroll out front doors...........

There are ways to manage (even) a kitten's recovery. Spending time with them, calming music (look up YouTube's "Music for Cats), calming treats and air sprays. Here's someone with some expertise in those: Furballsmom Furballsmom

There are plenty of threads here about spays that have gone 'south' - I'd hate to see yours added to that list!
Yes of course I won’t let my kitten do whatever she wants, even if she wasn’t in recovery we are teaching her little by little the rules and trying to create a routine for her.
My question was more about, when will be the moment to go back to the routine we have before the surgery, but thanks of the advices here I will keep her calm in a smaller room for at least a week more so she can recover completely.

Thanks a lot for the calming tips, I will use them for sure!

marianation04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

Here are some calming items for you to consider;

Only Natural Pet has a product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, and there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there's Nutrivet Pet-ease paw gel.

Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry, Comfort Zone and feliway, although diffusers are expensive and not always an answer.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

Oh wow! Thanks a lot for all the tips and products. I will research and hopefully purchase soon one of them, I will keep you guys updated about Siri’s recovery!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her incision looks great. Kitties are really good at self-limiting when they don't feel great. I've only confined my girls post-spay overnight or when we've left the house unattended. Otherwise, they have free roam of the house and normal access to everything. I've never had a problem with any of my girls.

marianation04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her incision looks great. Kitties are really good at self-limiting when they don't feel great. I've only confined my girls post-spay overnight or when we've left the house unattended. Otherwise, they have free roam of the house and normal access to everything. I've never had a problem with any of my girls.
I think you are right about the self-limiting, a will let her free in the house when i am watching her, and if I leave or when i go to sleep, i'll put her in the smaller room.
Thabks for replying!

marianation04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 296297 Hi everyone!

So “Siri”our 4 month female kitten had her spay surgery two days ago, and they told us to keep her calm but she is acting all normal, no pain, she wants to jump and play, she is not licking or even lookuing at her stitch.What do you recomend? To let her do her normal routine? Or keep her in an small room?
Also I notice a little bump on her stitch? (Attached pic) do you think is normal?
View attachment 296301 View attachment 296302 View attachment 296303

Thanks a lot for the advice!!

Hi everyone!!
Just to let you guys know that Siri did a great recovery, thanks for all the tips and advices!

Attachments