Sinus Flush?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever had their cats sinuses flushed due to stubborn infection/congestion? How was it on kitty/recovery? Was it effective? Did it "do the trick" to get things cleared up?

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes. I had a cat who had chronic sinus infection congestion following a cold. It simply would not clear up despite periodic antibiotics, which worked for a period of time, but problem returned.

Then vet did a culture. A "culture specific" antibiotic was tried. Again problem returned

This time, vet did a complete sinus flush. Cat improved for a time, but again problem resumed.

Then nasal biopsy was done. Results showed "nasal lymphoma", which by this time had spread. I didn't know cats could get lymphoma in the nose, but vet said "Lymphoma can occur anywhere in the body".

I think a chronic inflammation in the nose was a factor.

I would go for the flush. Vet can clear things out up there, look around to make sure there are no nasal polyps or tumors. If that still does not work, then a biopsy is in order.

I sincerely hope the flush works for your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are dealing with 2 kitties (rescued from a shelter) with stubborn sinus infections. So the probability if it being lymphoma is thankfully pretty low. I can't imaging our luck being THAT bad! I'm sorry about your kitty:(
We have with some success lessened the symptoms with antibiotics, but up until recently, the course of treatment was never long enough, and it would all come back, and it is all of our beliefs, that the on and off of the treatments worsened their infection / developed resistance.

(I'm dealing with a different vet than in the beginning now)

The last course of antibiotics was for 5 weeks and that ALMOST did the trick, so before that course was finished they were given a secondary course with a different antibiotic, and this one again, is improving things even more. Our vet has recommended that if this doesn't get things completely, that we do a flush. I'm all on board, and at this point she could also get a really good sample of mucus for a culture/PCR. Cultures have already been done with inconclusive results btw. A culture was also supposedly done with the previous vet but when I finally got their files for transfer, there was no such test done:angryfire:)

The vet did say, that during the flush she would also be looking for polyps and any blockages or foreign objects and the like. Because we are dealing with 2 kitties though, she is also very skeptical that this could be cancer, tumors or objects, although polyps are still in the running.

I just hope my kitties will be healthy soon, this can't be much fun for them! And honestly, I'm getting tired of this too! (It's been 5 months for us, and however longer for them while still in the shelter)

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I believe you are absolutely correct in thinking, since the course of repeated treatment was not long enough, the germs are now stronger and worse. Absolutely! This is how antibiotic-resistance starts in animals AND humans!! If they put them on an antibiotic for say a week, and take them off. Then, in a few days, they are symptomatic again, (because the germs were not completely killed off, just suppressed, so they grow back stronger!), so start up the antibiotics for another week. BUT, they most likely should have been put on a follow-up dose for 10 days to 14 days, the second time, because yes, the bacteria/germs have already gotten stronger and are learning how to repel the antibiotics!!! I am hoping if they are on this new antibiotic, it is for a long enough regimen to really kill off the bacteria and not just suppress it.
So sorry they are struggling so much (and you too!) Hope this time, is the charm! :)

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are absolutely right about course of treatments which are not long enough lead to antibiotic resistance. This was a factor with my cat.

The first antibiotic was for 2 weeks. This kept the sinus issue at bay for 6 months. Then another 2 week round, which only lasted 4 months. With each round, the sinus issue returned quicker over a period of 18 months.

I switched vets as this vet was not proactive. With a new vet, I insisted we get to the bottom of this; hence the culture, then the flush looking for polyps, tumors or obstructions, which there were none.

In your kitties case, it could be polyps as they can have a bacterial component and be the source of the infection.

I applaud you for being very proactive in getting to the bottom of your kitties sinus issue. I only wish I had done it sooner.