Sinking Fast - Tired Of Fighting

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you say the eviction process can take quite a while? Several months or even longer? Where I live, it's not easy for a landlord to evict someone, even if they haven't paid their rent. Have you legally appealed the eviction? Can you see if there is a lawyer in your area who specializes in animal advocacy? If you could have one conversation with such a lawyer, perhaps that would provide you with new information, or perhaps that lawyer could refer you to someone who might take your case pro bono.

I again bring up the possibility of doing a GoFundMe page and getting social media involved. It's doubtful that your neighbors would even be aware of your social media activity or your GoFundMe efforts for legal help.

Also if the possibility of eviction for continuing to feed the cats is real, and if I were in your shoes, I'd consider contacting my local news station and newspaper and see if they would do a story on what is happening to you. There is a lot of power in public outcry. It would be good to get advice and input from a lawyer about whether these tactics would be effective in your case. I'm not advising you to do any of these things, and you have to take care of yourself. I'm just rambling about what I might do in your situation.

Have you contacted Alley Cats International? They might have some helpful suggestions for you.

I'm not going to minimize the situation and say the cats will all be fine and survive on hunting prey, because that's just not realistic, as you say, some may be fine, some may not be fine. Gradually decreasing the food instead of abruptly stopping the food would be better if that is possible. Is there a Humane Society in your area that you can contact for assistance and advocacy? You've mentioned animal control, but is there a Humane Society that could help? Is it possible for the Humane Society to take these cats and see if any of them are adoptable? Can you say what city and state you live in?

Last edited:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"I'm not going to minimize the situation and say the cats will all be fine and survive on hunting prey, because that's just not realistic, as you say, some may be fine, some may not be fine. Gradually decreasing the food instead of abruptly stopping the food would be better if that is possible."

I suppose this is very true. I do agree. I truly wasn't trying to minimize an incredibly tough situation. Don't want you to lose your place, but don't want your kitties to be hungry, either. My vet says they never lose their hunting ability (barring illness or injury), but members here have a LOT of experience with ferals. :whiskers:

I apologize if it sounded like I was "sugar-coating" the kitties situation. I can see why it may have come across like that. I just want to help. :sunshine: It sounds like you have a lot of options here. I know it is going to be okay. It will be a long road, but you have a lot of support!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I didn't mean to imply that anyone was minimizing the situation, I was just saying that it's not an easy situation. It's different if it's one or two feral cats who lose their food source. They can move on and find new territories and food sources. But it's more complicated when 20 cats are being displaced and losing their primary food source. I am really hoping that the Humane Society or some other organization can be involved in advocating for these cats, because the housing management is insisting that the OP do something that would be considered inhumane and neglect by most standards. But I'm not a legal expert, just someone who is really upset about this situation and the unfairness of it all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Labyrinth1119

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a summary of the events of today. Please, please, please let some of these new possibilities work out in my favor. I am not sure how much more I can take.

Found a wonderful lady whose mission is to save, help, and rescue feral cats. She travels all over Central Florida for this; if someone passes away that had a feral colony, she is working to get them rehomed/relocated. She is truly an inspiration for this cause. Because of this, she has amassed quite a network of friends and volunteers, and 2 of them are going to go to the Community Office and speak directly with the CM, hopefully tomorrow but likely Thursday. He wants the cats gone? They will take the cats to, get this my friends, a Cat Home. Can you believe this??? And they are willing to take all 20-25!!! All of this wonderfulness depends COMPLETELY on the CM giving his freaking approval. Sorry for the language, but he better damn well do it. He turns this down, he really is an evil man and I would not feel it to be inappropriate to then publicize what he is doing via social media.

In contacted Animal Control to let them know that I was being forced to relinquish 'caretaking' for my colony. This allows them to direct any complaints or citations to the office. I did check though, that I could reclaim it, and they said yes. (should that ever be a possibility).

In my effort to appear all wholesome and sweet, I contacted the CM about my conversation with Animal Control, and that the community was now 'in the clear' to move forward with whatever they have planned. What is the plan? There isn't one yet. This man has sat on his butt for a week and done nothing. It was one thing to sit there for 4 months and not approve rescue groups to come onsite and help, but now these cats are being denied food and water. He doesn't seem to care that the cats will be without food or water, which is disgusting. This might be a better use of social media awareness. Feral Colony being forced into abandonment now neglected because no food or water.

He also mentioned that my call to Animal Control was unnecessary because they 'can trap whenever they want'. My reply, was that according to HIS definition, these were my 'pets' and you certainly cannot trap and kill another person's pets. He didn't have a response to that.

Some good news: For 2 days I have come home and there has not been an official Notice of Eviction taped to my door. When speaking to the CM, he did not give any indication that my compliance was anything but sincere. Thanked me for my cooperation, shook my hand, smiled, you name it. Don't worry, not easing up on any precaution I am taking. Another piece of good news is that I am working from home for the rest of this week. My office is 20 miles away, and I absolutely HATE being that far from home, wondering what might be happening at my house.

Oh my feral friends, please let me save my cats. Please please please please please please please please please. I still have a few from my first trapping (Cookies, Morris, George, Opal)! 13 years old is a pretty good age for a 'street cat'. They deserve to be fat and lazy somewhere, and they will be cared for, and fed, and sheltered.

Please, just let me have this?

Labyrinth1119

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat repelent, to keep the cats from peeing around the place ---- Wolf urine!!!! Yes, tell your neighbor spraying a little fresh wolf urine around will keep the cats away :flail::flail::flail:
You know what is funny but sad because it's true? I actually offered this to her once. She declined because she is 'allergic to dogs'.

Labyrinth1119

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you say the eviction process can take quite a while? Several months or even longer? Where I live, it's not easy for a landlord to evict someone, even if they haven't paid their rent. Have you legally appealed the eviction? Can you see if there is a lawyer in your area who specializes in animal advocacy? If you could have one conversation with such a lawyer, perhaps that would provide you with new information, or perhaps that lawyer could refer you to someone who might take your case pro bono.

I again bring up the possibility of doing a GoFundMe page and getting social media involved. It's doubtful that your neighbors would even be aware of your social media activity or your GoFundMe efforts for legal help.

Also if the possibility of eviction for continuing to feed the cats is real, and if I were in your shoes, I'd consider contacting my local news station and newspaper and see if they would do a story on what is happening to you. There is a lot of power in public outcry. It would be good to get advice and input from a lawyer about whether these tactics would be effective in your case. I'm not advising you to do any of these things, and you have to take care of yourself. I'm just rambling about what I might do in your situation.

Have you contacted Alley Cats International? They might have some helpful suggestions for you.

I'm not going to minimize the situation and say the cats will all be fine and survive on hunting prey, because that's just not realistic, as you say, some may be fine, some may not be fine. Gradually decreasing the food instead of abruptly stopping the food would be better if that is possible. Is there a Humane Society in your area that you can contact for assistance and advocacy? You've mentioned animal control, but is there a Humane Society that could help? Is it possible for the Humane Society to take these cats and see if any of them are adoptable? Can you say what city and state you live in?
How did I not see this post until just now?

Technically, the eviction process can be as little as 3 days, but that seems to be exclusively for non payment of rent...and after the tenant is already severely delinquent. The process, as I have been told, is also very costly in Florida. Most people think it is ridiculous for my community to seek eviction over something like a colony of feral cats. I have filed an appeal, but there hasn't been an legal processing of an eviction, just the threat of one, so my appeal doesn't do anything because the community hasn't initiated the process.

Yes, looking into Animal Advocacy attorney.

Also, based on new conversations with the CM, social media is next on my list, as soon as I can set the right 'tone'. Not aiming for the community I live in, but will have people posting to the Property Management's page, as well as several 'high profile' animal rescue groups. Pet Alliance of Orlando is a great example of this. I am also hoping that this might flush out an attorney or attorney's office willing to at least listen to my case. I have been hesitant to do anything like that for fear (maybe unrealistic fear) of some kind of retaliation or something. I don't want to attack, but people need to be aware of this, and there is one thing I know for sure, everyone loves a good animal right's story. I have thought about news outlets as well, so I am going to look into that also.

For the GoFundMe. 100% for real honest truth. I feel weird about this. It is definitely in my interest to look into it, but I feel weird about it. Asking for help and support is one thing, but I feel a little guilty about asking for money. Have you seen this work before?

The Humane Society has not provided much for me. They are, like most I am sure, completely overcrowded with pets. I live in Orlando Fl, and I think based on my history with feral cats, that organizations like Pet Alliance can offer a better pool of resources.

Each and every one of you that have even taken the time to reply to my posts offer thoughts and ideas that have often not occurred to me. I gladly take any rambling reply because every single one of them from you and the others gives me SOMETHING. A support group, incredible advice and guidance, hell, even a few laughs! Each message is like an internet hug, and there are many times that a hug is just what I need.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
and 2 of them are going to go to the Community Office and speak directly with the CM, hopefully tomorrow but likely Thursday. He wants the cats gone? They will take the cats to, get this my friends, a Cat Home. Can you believe this??? And they are willing to take all 20-25!!! All of this wonderfulness depends COMPLETELY on the CM giving his freaking approval.
This is actually much better than you realize, from a legal standpoint. The big legal issue that I see is ownership. If he approves then he establishes that they own/owned the cats. The reason for your potential eviction then becomes null and void because they have admitted the cats are their pets and ironically they are now in violation of their own policy. This is also true if he declines. Either way you have won because answering either yes or no establishes that they own the pets. His only out is to say that he has no interest or control over the animals in which case you are free to do with them as you please. Again you win. If he says no that again means that they own the cats/pets and they are then responsible for their care BY LAW. Again since they are not your pets the eviction notice becomes void. Not only that (and I love this part) YOU CAN SUE THEM for the time and cost you have incurred in caring for the animals since they took ownership of the property since they had a legal obligation to care for the animals but deferred that obligation to you. It became an implied contract. A thousand a month plus interest ------. Interestingly you can sue them even if they agree to give the cats up because their care would be retroactive to them acquiring the property. But I would hold that back depending on their dropping all action against you. Oh and finally because you were doing this for the other owner for so many years your "contract" was already established when the property changed hands. There would be a lot of room for debate with this as to the legality of the obligation but chances are good a working class people jury would find for you and not the "company". It would probably never get that far but it sure would be a interesting case. By the way this is something that a legal school would be interested in taking on as a case because it would give the students tremendous experience. If they did that the only thing you would have to pay would be court filing costs.

By the way ---- keep in mind that I am not a lawyer and also don't know Florida law. So my free advise is just that. I could be totally wrong on everything. I am just saying it is something to look into.

Last edited:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the wonderful woman will be able to take all of the cats, that would be a wonderful solution. Since the cats have all been trapped before, do you think they will all go into a trap again? The one feral cat I tried to re-trap would never go into a trap again. Will you be able to continue to sneak feed the cats while everything is up in the air? I know it's silly, but I'm worried about them even from as far away as Western PA. If someone catches you feeding them, do you think they would take a small monetary gift in exchange for not turning you in? If you think your neighbors might accept small monetary incentives for cooperating while things are being worked out, I will personally send you a check to fund that.

Even if that kind hearted woman takes all of your cats and places them, I hope legally you can get clarity on the situation in case other cats show up on your property that you TNR.

When all of this is over, I hope you can write up your own article with solutions and resources that worked for you and your situation, and post it not only on The catsite but on the internet somewhere so others who are doing research can benefit from the fruit of your labor. God bless you for not throwing in the towel and abandoning these cats, and standing your ground and continuing to care for this colony of cats.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another by the way.
Lest my answers might have given you the wrong idea, I am always an advocate for peaceful reasonable resolution of difficulties. Having to involve "higher authorities" in anything that can be resolved by reasonableness is a waste of time and resources. But I also get really annoyed by bullies of any kind and ones who abuse whatever authority they have be it real or imagined. Like Willowy and some others here I was raised in a military family. My dad was in the Air Force for 21 years. When I was in the first grade I got in trouble at school because I whacked a kid with my metal lunch box (they were made of metal back then). He had been picking on me and making fun of me for several weeks and finally I had enough and ended it. So I got in trouble with the school. I got in trouble with my dad over it because of my bad choice of weapons because I wrecked the lunchbox. He felt my actions were appropriate under the circumstances and my response measured. Just a bad choice of weapons. Most bullies get themselves into trouble because of their arrogance and the belief they are invincible. A well placed lunch box often changes their perspective.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The whole situation is so messed up. There needs to be legislation protecting ferals. Someone shouldn't have to choose between their home and feeding innocent ferals. Even in an apartment or condo, etc., people should have some kind of protection. I was nervous just feeding my one feral in my apartment complex, always wondering if the neighbors were going to complain, and I snatched up her food bowl as soon as she was done. They are of no harm to anyone. I don't understand it. I'm just glad it is all going to work out. :hearthrob:

Amring

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[QUOTE="Labyrinth1119, post: 4642635, member: 10020672"

For the GoFundMe. 100% for real honest truth. I feel weird about this. It is definitely in my interest to look into it, but I feel weird about it. Asking for help and support is one thing, but I feel a little guilty about asking for money. Have you seen this work before?[/QUOTE]I live a long way from Florida, so monetary donations feel like the only way I can provide support. I sympathize with what you're going through. I just moved and I keep coming back to my old place to feed my deals. They are the only thing I miss about the place. Could you send the info about the organization taking in all of your ferals? I would like to donate to them if they have a secure website.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I applaud your stalwart efforts! I am praying that this all works out for you and your ferals:cheerleader: I believe that Vyger has made excellent points.
Here in CA, I have seen evictions drag out for 9 months. Each state is different but it seems that in FL, once you have remedied the reason for eviction, the eviction stops.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The double-standard and stigma is crazy - do you know in my complex they have a dog park? An actual dog park that is part of the grounds? There should be a cat feeding station. If dogs can roam freely outdoors in a certain area, there should be an area for cats to be fed. :soapbox:

Labyrinth1119

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry everyone! Between running an underground cat railroad, having my AC go out, car troubles, and a 'summer' cold...I haven't had much time left for anything. Wanted to provide some quick updates:
1. I am still in my home! No further notices or action has taken place. This is still my top priority - not getting evicted.
2. The management still has done nothing in regards to the cats. While this is good news, it also means that he is happy to sit by while cats are (supposedly) being denied food and water. This actually disgusts me even more. I am making my way through the chain of command within the Property Management company itself as Pet Alliance of Orlando in partnership with Orange County Animal Services just got the greenlight for 'mass trap events' starting in August. This is what I had originally arranged back in February that the manager never gave his approval for. This time, I am going over his head.
3. Sadly, I never heard more from the lady that offered to take my colony. Well, to be fair, she responded to a few messages, but to my knowledge no one came to speak to the the CM and she did not provide details or even directions to her location in Osteen. So, using the resources I have, I managed to re-home about 12 cats. They are doing well and so far seem to be acclimating to their new environments nicely. Some of the cats had their favorite buddy, so I tried to keep them together.
4. I have a plan to shift the feeding location, but need to visually check the area and see if it will be a good spot or not. There is a huge cell tower about 500-600 feet from my house (if you were to draw a line in mid air), and I discovered that where it sits is NOT owned by my neighborhood! Removing ANY colony from land owned by a business or person is ideal. I'll reserve judgement until I can take a look myself, but immediate concerns are other people/kids messing with anything I might set up. There is a walking path that is frequented a lot by kids going to and from school.
5. There are already MORE cats.

Yes, there is tons more, but this is most of it. As it has been recommended, I will be starting a go-fund me page to help with the financial impact of relocation, food, and continuing care and management. We (myself and TNR groups I am working with) decided to use the opportunity to get as many cats out of the neighborhood as possible, so this new colony could end up being HUGE, but it will make the mass trap effort easier and the cats should be safe from being exterminated.

Please let me know your thoughts about any/all of this. The wealth of insight and knowledge you have given me is what got me moving in the right direction. Not to mention the support alone has kept me going. Thank you all again, so very very much.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful that you've been able to relocate 12 cats, and also that you are continuing to feed them and have support from others closer to you! Provide us with a link to your GoFundMe page when you set it up. You sound a lot more hopeful now, thanks for your update :)

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is wonderful news, and rehoming 12 cats is incredible! I am so glad everything is going to be okay.

Sorry to hear that lady never came through. But it sounds like you are doing fine without her!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry everyone! Between running an underground cat railroad, having my AC go out, car troubles, and a 'summer' cold...I haven't had much time left for anything. Wanted to provide some quick updates:
1. I am still in my home! No further notices or action has taken place. This is still my top priority - not getting evicted.
2. The management still has done nothing in regards to the cats. While this is good news, it also means that he is happy to sit by while cats are (supposedly) being denied food and water. This actually disgusts me even more. I am making my way through the chain of command within the Property Management company itself as Pet Alliance of Orlando in partnership with Orange County Animal Services just got the greenlight for 'mass trap events' starting in August. This is what I had originally arranged back in February that the manager never gave his approval for. This time, I am going over his head.
3. Sadly, I never heard more from the lady that offered to take my colony. Well, to be fair, she responded to a few messages, but to my knowledge no one came to speak to the the CM and she did not provide details or even directions to her location in Osteen. So, using the resources I have, I managed to re-home about 12 cats. They are doing well and so far seem to be acclimating to their new environments nicely. Some of the cats had their favorite buddy, so I tried to keep them together.
4. I have a plan to shift the feeding location, but need to visually check the area and see if it will be a good spot or not. There is a huge cell tower about 500-600 feet from my house (if you were to draw a line in mid air), and I discovered that where it sits is NOT owned by my neighborhood! Removing ANY colony from land owned by a business or person is ideal. I'll reserve judgement until I can take a look myself, but immediate concerns are other people/kids messing with anything I might set up. There is a walking path that is frequented a lot by kids going to and from school.
5. There are already MORE cats.

Yes, there is tons more, but this is most of it. As it has been recommended, I will be starting a go-fund me page to help with the financial impact of relocation, food, and continuing care and management. We (myself and TNR groups I am working with) decided to use the opportunity to get as many cats out of the neighborhood as possible, so this new colony could end up being HUGE, but it will make the mass trap effort easier and the cats should be safe from being exterminated.

Please let me know your thoughts about any/all of this. The wealth of insight and knowledge you have given me is what got me moving in the right direction. Not to mention the support alone has kept me going. Thank you all again, so very very much.
You're a fighter for these cats, it's not like you're asking to keep a gang known for blood sport in the community! You just want these cats to be given a life and help them.
I wish you were my neighbor, seriously. We would get along so, so very well and have a great time. Your current neighbors apparently don't know what they're missing in terms of pure, raw compassion.
:rock::rock::rock:

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just caught up with this thread and just want to say that I am so proud of all you've done and want to offer financial support as well. You're truly an inspiration to all cat lovers everywhere. Bravo!!