Sinking Fast - Tired Of Fighting

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Labyrinth1119

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 : The location shift is really not that significant, just more 'behind' my house that I can be more covert with as I start my new life as an evil feral cat feeder that operates under the cover of darkness and ruins the very community she is trying to help. Also, this removes them from my main tattle-tail neighbor's (yes, I am being bitchy...or dare I say CATTY) immediate line of site.

Oh, and do they love that stinky canned food! Usually, they get a mixture of both canned and kibble, but you have an excellent suggestion of making it mostly their favorite so they flock to it. Thank you for that!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess: I am so glad that you are remaining proactive in your case. You are truly made of "strong stuff"!! Keep on putting out those "fires" and we will be here for you every step of the way.:fire:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 : The location shift is really not that significant, just more 'behind' my house that I can be more covert with as I start my new life as an evil feral cat feeder that operates under the cover of darkness and ruins the very community she is trying to help. Also, this removes them from my main tattle-tail neighbor's (yes, I am being bitchy...or dare I say CATTY) immediate line of site.

Oh, and do they love that stinky canned food! Usually, they get a mixture of both canned and kibble, but you have an excellent suggestion of making it mostly their favorite so they flock to it. Thank you for that!
It's crazy they're targeting you like this. Like there aren't enough drug dealers, murderers and rapists at large not to mention typical "community issues" that arise...they have to go after someone feeding some stray cats, like the feeder is some prison break out criminal threatening the very lives of the children. Dear God the children! :rolleyes: :dizzy:
It's ridiculous that not one person has offered any word of encouragement, compassion or God forbid dare lift a finger to help do something for them. Are they all intact? Not meaning to be nosy but if not is TNR a possibility to help keep the population at bay, so you don't get more overwhelmed?

Happy flocking to that stinky canned food!

Labyrinth1119

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:yess: I am so glad that you are remaining proactive in your case. You are truly made of "strong stuff"!! Keep on putting out those "fires" and we will be here for you every step of the way.:fire:
Thank you thank you thank you! You may or may not understand (and I say 'may' as so many of you have been through these same fights) how much strength each of YOU have given to me. Every little bit on encouragement strengthens my resolve more and more. All of you are wonderful!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you thank you thank you! You may or may not understand (and I say 'may' as so many of you have been through these same fights) how much strength each of YOU have given to me. Every little bit on encouragement strengthens my resolve more and more. All of you are wonderful!
This site is amazing when it comes to support. Really the best =)

Labyrinth1119

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's crazy they're targeting you like this. Like there aren't enough drug dealers, murderers and rapists at large not to mention typical "community issues" that arise...they have to go after someone feeding some stray cats, like the feeder is some prison break out criminal threatening the very lives of the children. Dear God the children! :rolleyes: :dizzy:
It's ridiculous that not one person has offered any word of encouragement, compassion or God forbid dare lift a finger to help do something for them. Are they all intact? Not meaning to be nosy but if not is TNR a possibility to help keep the population at bay, so you don't get more overwhelmed?

Happy flocking to that stinky canned food!
I am glad that you mentioned being targeted, as my colony is not the only one on this property. This was admitted by the community manager himself. I am just the one that is lucky enough to have a neighbor make so many complaints, that this is the result. She put me on the radar, hence the target.

From this last kitten season, I have (I think) 3 more females that are already putting it our there for all the male cats to enough (they are SHAMELESS). I got most of the kittens. There are a few left that I am working on each day. That particular momma had them way far away, and only recently brought them over, so I am a little late in the socialization game. One more month, and those females will be pregnant. Since the community has already shown lack of follow through, more time goes by and we've got a whole new batch of kittens. Wait longer with no one doing anything, bigger mess on your hands.

I have gotten the encouragement, right here, on this very website. Friends and organizations I have been working with over the years, are also being supportive and looking for answers and solutions. Getting wheels in motion today has helped me immensely. Yesterday, I was too overwhelmed to think about anything logically.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad that you mentioned being targeted, as my colony is not the only one on this property. This was admitted by the community manager himself. I am just the one that is lucky enough to have a neighbor make so many complaints, that this is the result. She put me on the radar, hence the target.

From this last kitten season, I have (I think) 3 more females that are already putting it our there for all the male cats to enough (they are SHAMELESS). I got most of the kittens. There are a few left that I am working on each day. That particular momma had them way far away, and only recently brought them over, so I am a little late in the socialization game. One more month, and those females will be pregnant. Since the community has already shown lack of follow through, more time goes by and we've got a whole new batch of kittens. Wait longer with no one doing anything, bigger mess on your hands.

I have gotten the encouragement, right here, on this very website. Friends and organizations I have been working with over the years, are also being supportive and looking for answers and solutions. Getting wheels in motion today has helped me immensely. Yesterday, I was too overwhelmed to think about anything logically.
We cannot think logically when we are over whelmed.
It sounds like you're doing all you can. As I said, this community is THE most supportive ever!
We had the kitten surprise thing happen. We had a litter from an unfixed feral mom. Handled them, adopted them out. We were totally happy (and eventually TNR'ed this girl).
After the last adopter got the last kitten, we walked towards the house and saw a similar aged kitten peeping at us in the brush. Uh...who are you? They darted back into the brush, and the taming of the feral 8-12ish week old surprise kittens began (the mother was hell to TNR, but we got her.)
It's exhausting work, but it's our way of caring for our own little corner of the world. Shame that most of your idiot neighbors are too self absorbed to see that, isn't it? =)

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't believe someone so heartless as to report you for feeding innocent little cats. I don't understand people.

I am glad you are feeling better - keep us posted. :grouphug2:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe someone so heartless as to report you for feeding innocent little cats. I don't understand people.

I am glad you are feeling better - keep us posted. :grouphug2:
I am sure that God our Creator agrees with you - I know that I certainly do! I know several sweet, caring disable and/or elderly people who are unjustly targeted for their love and kindness towards cats.
I have a saying for my area: "Have 10 dogs and you are a rescuer; have 5 cats and you are a crazy cat person/hoarder." :headshake: :argh:
But fortunately we have our TCS family and awesome resources:vibes::cheerleader::salam::heartshape::hugs::rbheart::think::fallsmiley::soldier::soldier:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure that God our Creator agrees with you - I know that I certainly do! I know several sweet, caring disable and/or elderly people who are unjustly targeted for their love and kindness towards cats.
I have a saying for my area: "Have 10 dogs and you are a rescuer; have 5 cats and you are a crazy cat person/hoarder." :headshake: :argh:
But fortunately we have our TCS family and awesome resources:vibes::cheerleader::salam::heartshape::hugs::rbheart::think::fallsmiley::soldier::soldier:
Very good point about the dog/cat numbers!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree - definitely a double-standard. Anyways, it is 100x harder in a situation where you don't own your home and/or land. I believe OP does not own the land in this case (correct me if that is wrong). If it were a house, you can just give the complainer the Heave Ho. But it gets complicated when that is not the case. It is an incredibly tough situation and OP is a very strong person to have gotten a handle on all this in so short a time. :rock:

Labyrinth1119

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Denver is a little bit better, I'm constantly reading/ hearing that animals needing help/adoption are being rescued and brought to town out of high kill shelters from all over the country, including a lot of cats.
That thought made me wonder, --and it is just wondering since I don't know what works and doesn't, but once you have the eviction situation squared away, would moving the colony be something to consider, for their safety as well as yours?
Yes, it most certainly is something to consider. I've been reading posts from others about relocating, mainly to take my mind off the more unpleasant situation I am facing, just to get an idea of what it entails. I think I am going to start looking for some land, then look at moving my house (and colony). Just have to get through this rough patch, and hope my colony makes it through as well.

Labyrinth1119

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree - definitely a double-standard. Anyways, it is 100x harder in a situation where you don't own your home and/or land. I believe OP does not own the land in this case (correct me if that is wrong). If it were a house, you can just give the complainer the Heave Ho. But it gets complicated when that is not the case. It is an incredibly tough situation and OP is a very strong person to have gotten a handle on all this in so short a time. :rock:
Oh, I think I am being given far too much credit, but you made me smile nonetheless.

Correct, I do not own the land. As with many HOA's, there are a lot of restrictions in my neighborhood as well. For example, no fences. This would have been a remedy, but no can do. Heck, I remember getting 'cited' a few years ago when I made a 'litter box' thingie outside; just some 2x4's and that pine pellet litter. Just doing what I could to minimize neighbor complaints (not that anyone was complaining then...)I was not allowed to have 'structures' on my property, so I had to tear it down. :sigh:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am no fan of HOAs. I have attended meetings with friends and family and they seem too cliqueish for my tastes. It was with great satisfaction that I was to rebut my sister's HOA letter regarding barking dogs with proof that I had brought my sister's pups to the family homestead over 300 miles north the previous month while my sister was on an out of state assignment.
I hope and pray to read about fellow cat lovers buying their own land and living independently with their kitties, just as the Founding Fathers intended! My dream would be a compound that offered affordable housing for a few fellow cat lovers and a cat sanctuary.

Fuzziebutt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have been allowed to see to these cats all these years, especially before the management company took over, then you and "your" cats are Grandfathered in. That means the previous management collected your rent while you were doing this, so the new company bought you, your rent, your cats and all. Check into it and good luck!

Labyrinth1119

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How did it go last night with the new feeding station?
LORD! This is probably the most stressful thing so far! I am trying to tell myself, 'they'll catch on, they'll find it'. I also read that feral colonies can become creatures of habit, so even though they may have already eaten in the new location, they will still meow at the back door. AND THEY ARE STILL MEOWING AT THE BACK DOOR! I am driving myself nuts NOT to give in! They need to learn! Also, it's only been for 4 meals (started Wednesday night), and I watch for them all. They were all waiting for breakfast this morning, in the right spot. (still meowed at the back door though)
So, this weekend, I need to work out the logistics for my super-sneaky feeding. I've got some good ideas, so hoping to nail down a few techniques so I can change it up.

Labyrinth1119

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have been allowed to see to these cats all these years, especially before the management company took over, then you and "your" cats are Grandfathered in. That means the previous management collected your rent while you were doing this, so the new company bought you, your rent, your cats and all. Check into it and good luck!
Yes! Thank you! This is something that I had considered as well! I have my consultation appointment with a Tenants' Rights Attorney on Monday, and this is the kind of thing that I am hoping they will give me direction/legality/clarification on.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please don't give in - do not feed them at the back door. they will get used to the new location, you know how smart they are. But yes, they are creatures of habit.

That nosy neighbor probably has eyes on you.