Singleton kitten and mother care

satax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a street cat in Feb 2022,
She recently gave birth to 2 kittens (her first time), one died on day 3nd, the most possible reason is that she sat on it, cause I found him in the corner of the nest, cold dead in the morning, and the other one on top of it, maybe he was trying to keep itself warm,
The other one is now 5 day old, and my cat sometimes ignore him, like she yesterday she left her for 1 hour, and she takes frequent breaks from of 5-15 minutes, i've to sit near where her nest is and make her go back.
Its my first time with raising a kitten, she doesn't cry at all which worries me, everything else seems fine, she is warm to touch but when the mother cat leaves i use rice heat pads to keep her warm.

Today morning she felt extremely lethargic to me do i have her warm sugar water, she seemed fine after it.
The nest is in my cupboard, (mother cat choose it) it has two doors so i keel the other one half opened for ventilation.
Whenever mother cat leaves i keep it 1/3rd opened

Any advice? Cause idk what to do, i haven't slept for more than an hour in the last 3 days

The problem is she isn't feeling warm to touch even when she is with her mother.

Also the mother cat grooms her too much

16646329444327277911055775630421.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
Do you have a means of weighing it? You're doing many right things for it.

Is the mother eating ?
Measuring her weight? No i don't have the equipment.
Mother is eating yes, kitten food

satax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is biting him now

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry for the double post, but alternatively, while the kitten still has strength to latch and nurse you might try and find another mother cat who is nursing and put this kitten with hers (if there aren't too many of her own).

Last edited:

satax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
N
Sorry for the double post, but alternatively, while the kitten still has strength to latch and nurse you might try and find another mother cat who is nursing and out this kitten with hers (if there aren't too many of her own).
It's ok, no, the place I live in, people don't like cats, i wanted to adopt other cat after this one, i called every animal shelter, but didn't had any cat

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is the mama still allowing the kitten to nurse? 4-5 days is a long time for the kitten. If you decide to supplement feed the kitten, be sure that you do not use cow milk.

Last edited:

satax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is the mama still allowing the kitten to nurse? 4-5 days is a long time for the kitten. If you decide to supplement feed the kitten, be sure that you do not use cow milk.
Yes, i saw many articles about cow milk, it is a long time in what way?
Sometimes she just keeps licking her tits or the kitten and doesn't let the kitten nurse and i have to intervene,
Sometimes she suprises me and lay in the correct position so that the kitten can nurse

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

satax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks she is gone again and it's been 40 minutes, i hate her so much

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry. She looked to me like she's too young, and she doesn't really know any better. Hang in there with her, she's doing the best she can.

Here are a couple more sources for making kitten milk replacer, I don't know how different the recipes are from the link I posted above;

Search Results

satax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also do you know why the kitten doesn't cry at all? Today when I woke up she was kinda cool but she wasn't crying at all.
She only cries if mother cat licks her too much or if she sits on her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know, but perhaps she's getting enough milk. Usually kittens cry and are restless when they aren't getting enough. You're right, it needs to be kept warm so you're an enormous help to it for that.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have a clean, thin cotton towel, you could try cutting a couple of small squares, make one of the recipes, dip the square of material in the liquid, twist it so it's shaped kind of like a cat or bottle nipple and see if the kitten will suckle.

satax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have a clean, thin cotton towel, you could try cutting a couple of small squares, make one of the recipes, dip the square of material in the liquid, twist it so it's shaped kind of like a cat or bottle nipple and see if the kitten will suckle.
That's a great idea, i was thinking of using a q tip..
What would be better?
Ps. Should I feed it to her when she wakes up, or wake her up to feed?
1664643128382703454265369066840.jpg