Singleton aggressive anti social behavior

Lemleylucinda

Singleton Kitten
Kitten
Purraise
My
1618298858442722823256153184263.jpg
cat had a single little male kitten,
I've read that due to them not socializing with other kittens that they become worthless brutal pets.
He definately bites and scratches way to hard. He attacks his mom and plays very rough. He is going to hurt my 8 yr old little pomeranian. He hisses and scratches everyone on contact mostly.
But me. He is the most affectionate cat I've ever had and cuddles up to me every nite.
I have done everything.
I'm starting to really see and think he is way to aggressive and will seriously hurt someone or another pet. If I can't change it. Anyone else would get rid of him and he would not pass the behavior test at a shelter and would be put down.
I love him so much... Help...

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is the kitten? What have you tried to resolve his behaviour?
Playing rough is pretty typical for kittens. I’m certain his mother would discipline him if he was actually out of line when playing with her.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't say that they become "worthless, brutal pets" in the least, but they do take a degree of working with, and patience. First, how old is he? That's going to make a difference in how you handle him. Second, make sure that everyone who comes around him knows to NEVER EVER use hands to play with him. Hands are for petting, toys are for playing. Wand toys are great to keep hands out of the line of fire. Learn, if you don't know how to yet, to hiss with real authority. They come in this world knowing what a hiss means. LOL, I've become such a good hisser that I can run raccoons off of my property by hissing at them! Once we know his age, we can better tailor an approach, but that gives you some rudiments to start with. Does his mom try to reprimand him at all? She should be swatting and hissing when he gets too rough. That's more mom's job than siblings.

Jesse James

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been watching the 2 kittens I have "rough play" with each other for 4+ months. At first I thought like you - they're playing way too rough and thought they would hurt each other. So, I googled "when kittens play rough" and learned that it's a natural instinctive way they learn and practice how to hunt and attack their prey in the wild. There was a video online of kittens play fighting as an example, and it was exactly what mine were and still are doing. I agree also that your kitten's mother will definitely let him know if he gets too rough with her. It is one of her jobs. I would also tend to think that your dog will also let the kitten know, in no uncertain terms, if the kitten's hurting him (or her).

BeaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When it comes to hissing and scratching other people - make sure he has time to get use to them. Sometimes people don't respect cat's privacy, and cats are not like dogs - "pet me, touch me, I don't mind". Cats need their space and sometimes simply don't like when people are insisting on petting them, coming too close etc. So tell people not to come to the cat, ignore him, leave him be - let cat come to them. Maybe have special treat that he will only get from other people - so new person=treat. Also make sure he has an escape route from the room where you sit with others, if he feels trapped, he is more likely to be aggressive. Maybe get him a cat tree (if you don't have one) so he can sit and watch from above what is happening.
When he gets aggressive during play - just turn around and walk away. And don't play with hands.
And make sure he is neutered when big enough.