Single serving? Not!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I would try something different and my cat loved it..the Fancy Feast single serving petites.She actually ate every morsel as well as the gravy. Ha! I thought I was doing something good..until I read the label....as for daily nutrition the label says to feed 1 serving pack for every lb of the cat's weight.
So my cat weighs in at 10 lbs.That means I would have to give her 10 packs of the food daily.
I ended up mixing it in with a bit of her old Purina Essentials wet. I feel ripped off.What am I missing here?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know the FF petite single serving pates are around 45 calories and 1.4 oz per packet. Giving a 10-pound cat 10 of those packets a day would equate to around 450 calories and 14 ounces of food - uh, I don't think so. Base the amount and calories against what you normally feed your cat, rather than pay attention to those directions.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
According to Google;

Calorie Content (calculated)(ME): 784 kcal/kg, 31 kcal/serving for the grilled chicken variety.

No, that sounds like way too much. Like Feebysowner said, it would come to around 300-450 calories a day and a 10lb cat only needs around 200 calories daily.

Pet food companies always over estimate the amount of calories you should feed your cat because they want to sell more of their product. Also, with those single serving meals you're paying a lot for all that fancy packaging.

Maybe feed her one serving a day as a treat and stick to her regular food the rest of the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the FF petite single serving pates are around 45 calories and 1.4 oz per packet. Giving a 10-pound cat 10 of those packets a day would equate to around 450 calories and 14 ounces of food - uh, I don't think so. Base the amount and calories against what you normally feed your cat, rather than pay attention to those directions.
When my cat came from the shelter she was so skinny.The vet said to let her eat. It has been tough even getting her to do that. But now that her teeth are fixed she is beginning to chow down and look healthy. Her coat colors are so bright now and she is starting to fill out. She lost a great amount of muscle as a stray and that will never be replaced, but I make sure her tummy is full. So I take the vet's word until she regains health and just let her eat!She is still boney in places though...most likely lost muscle mass.😥

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Trust me they'll put the weight on faster than you realize it. When I adopted Fancy, she was 4.5 pounds. Now she's 9 pounds (though probably a pound of that is fur! lol )

I give Delilah a full can of Fancy Feast in the morning when I leave for work, a petite when I get home from work, and a full can for bedtime. There is also a kibble drop feeder (which is probably why Delilah's nickname is Miss Chunkybutt). Ironically Fancy is on a restricted diet and can't eat Fancy Feast.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give Daisy the Petites sometimes. I’m trying to get her onto all wet food, but she’s not keen. She’ll only eat half one of these packs, even at breakfast, and may eat the rest later. She still much prefers her Fussy Cat dry atm - isn’t even that keen on the Applaws dry she used to like. This is why I started the Petites: less food to have left over. She’s not keen on food that’s been in the fridge, much less reheated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am now giving a bit of the FF pate senior 7+ and a bit of the Petites for each meal. She started to like that 'buffet".
She was off her food for a few days and after a trip to the Vet today(what an ordeal getting her into the crate) she is eating a bit now.
After all that, while waiting to see the Vet I took her out of the crate, she explored the exam room and then hopped right back up into the despised crate and wouldn;t come out!! Go figure.:dunno: