Singapura kitten with upper respiratory infection.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello. I am off to visit my vet tomorrow to Ask his advice but would love to hear what you guys out there think please.I have waited for months to bring home two kittens. A russian who I met the day after she was born. She is in perfect health and a singapura who has a upper respiratory infection. He is on antibiotics but was not given his final vac last week because the vet thought he was too unwell. The breeder assures me he is robust and eating well, just sniffly. The breeder is registered and has bred champion cats and won breeder of the year. I have read colds are common in breeding houses but that the kitten can carry the virus for life and infect other cats. I am worried about our other cats and the russian kitten. I am also worried about the ongoing health of the kitten. I have been so excited about bringing home our babies but now I am worried. The two main reasons I am buying pedigree kittens are for temperament and health. Am i panicking about nothing? Or should i be worried? Thanks for reading this thread. Any advice is welcome.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Colds and virus I presume they can meet everywhere.  it is also not uncommon the stress of moving to a new owner makes the cold /URI burst open.

What is a little peculiar here, is the singapura was send away, although not well already in his birth home. It even didnt got through OK the customary vet check up...  Serious breeders arent supposed to do so. They send the kitten first when everything is done and just so.  So was for example with our older resident, a RB who got a little scratch in his eye from his bro.

L-lysine is a trick used sometimes to boost up their immune system, and it also works some against some URI-virus. Not all, but some.

I know you are going to your own vet, who will surely give you good advices, but vets usually dont mention home remedies. Their assistent sometimes does.   :)

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your advice Stefan. I'm sorry I didn't make myself clearer here. I don't have the kitten yet. I wanted to pick him up this weekend but the breeder wants to keep him for another week. If he is well enough he will have his final vac this weekend and then I will pick him up the following weekend. The breeder doesn't want to put the russian and Singa together until the Singa is well. Thanks again Tamela.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, I see the breeder does not only has a serious reputation, heshe IS serious.   :)
 it is also not uncommon the stress of moving to a new owner makes the cold /URI burst open.
You can try and make the transition less stressful by having on a Feliway adapter on.  Possibly also on some of Flower essences, Rescue Remedy or similiar... 

Playing soft, relaxing music. Classical is good, harp is best, but almost any should do.

If you can get hold on raw goat milk, goat milk is good nourishment in itself, but raw should have some immune protecting.

Good luck!