Simply Nourish cat food , new for my cats

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the company acts shady when you ask for general information, and tomatoes are the SECOND ingredient ( shouldn't be there at all) I would not feed it. I'm not loving the synthetic vitamin k either.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
krysta & Nutro Mike
I got a reply email from simply nourish and it said that their department (customer service ) does not have that kind of information and some mention of Utah , and they don't know about Natural flavor , all they know is their food passes the FDA . Really poor customer service ? This makes me a little nervous , what company is unable to verify information that their customers are entitled to???
Nutro mike, any luck? I mean I am trying to provide a healthy ,natural food for my cats so I think this kind of Info is important. Not sure what Im going to do, maybe another call.
Okay, I just saw this.  Been a really busy week.  Let me see if I can find more information for you and I'll PM you if that is okay.  There has to be a place that manufactures it.  I'll do some digging for you and get back to you over the weekend.

mamabear0106

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm new to this board and was reading your comments. I was just in PetSmart tonight and saw Simply Nourish. It is a product exclusive to PetSmart and thought I'd give it a try. My cat is a very picky eater: only likes Fancy Feast Savory Feast and Iams Regular Dry Cat Food. I bought a bag of the SN Chicken and Rice dry cat food and one can of the Chicken and Salmon wet food. I opened the dry food and gave him a few to try them out: he loved it and wanted more! I gave him a half can of the wet food, and he seemed to love it, but it's too soon to tell. If he didn't like it, he would use the "digging motion" to dismiss it completely! But I like the ingredients in both choices and will try him on that for a while.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simply Nourish is really good if you need a LID diet for your cat. I think it has a bit too much potato, but that Could be picked out if you wanted. I used to feed it, but it's kind of expensive.

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd update everyone--I got an email from Petsmart today.  It basically said that all the info is on their website, that if I'd just type in "simply nourish" I would find it.  As if all that info we've been discussing is right there, we're just too dumb to find it.  The info I was asking for is definitely NOT on the website.  The only info they were willing to volunteer IF I replied to them that I wanted it, was calories per cup.  Oh well, moving on.......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nutro mike,
I can not remember if I replied to you re the food info, my brain is tired today! Anyway THANKS so very much for looking into this matter. I am thinking of trying the California Natural ( krysta uses for her kitty crew) dry food next. The responds I got from Petsmart were pretty poor and did not answer my question at all. Krysta got the same type emails from them.
Three cat night

mkbpcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I picked up a can of the Chicken Stew last night. Liked the ingredients and low ash count. This morning I checked to see where it is made and the label says product of Thailand. That's a little disconcerting so I'll be curious what answers come back from the government inquiry someone has submitted.

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mkbpcats, I've heard that being manufactured in Thailand is not a cause for concern, that they don't have the shady business practices China does.  There are several really high quality foods made there--Tiki Cat, Weruva, BFF (made by Weruva),  and Petco's Soulistic (which Weruva also makes for them).  In fact, the Simply Nourish canned is soooo similar to these foods that I wonder if they are also manufactured by one of those foods' facility.  It's the dry that has us wondering, cause no one seems to know or want to tell anything about it.

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mkbpcats, I've heard that being manufactured in Thailand is not a cause for concern, that they don't have the shady business practices China does.  There are several really high quality foods made there--Tiki Cat, Weruva, BFF (made by Weruva),  and Petco's Soulistic (which Weruva also makes for them).  In fact, the Simply Nourish canned is soooo similar to these foods that I wonder if they are also manufactured by one of those foods' facility.  It's the dry that has us wondering, cause no one seems to know or want to tell anything about it.
I am still waiting for the promised info that Petsmart promised would be sent directly from the corporate office. Two requests, one email and one phone call. Since this is so hard for them I am going to choose another brand for my cats. Going to shop Monday and I will try California natural and
innova( which is produced from the co that EVO comes from. So I'm told) and will be checking out lots of brand until my head spins! We all want what s best for our kitties and they are worth the trouble and then some.

rescuemomto5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been feeding the Simply Nourish stews to my furbabies lately and they absolutely LOVE it.  It really does look like a stew I would make and it's something that all 4 of them will lick their bowls clean.  They get very little dry food because they are all indoor and I don't want them to develop kidney or UTI issues.  They also like Natural Balance Platefuls but they were starting to get finicky with that so I switched them.  As for dry food they get Blue Buffalo Wilderness because it's higher in protein and is grain free.

I'd be interested to know where the Simply Nourish line is manufactured as well.  I won't give them anything that comes from China.

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 Going to shop Monday and I will try California natural and innova( which is produced from the co that EVO comes from. So I'm told) and will be checking out lots of brand until my head spins! We all want what s best for our kitties and they are worth the trouble and then some.
Three Cat Night,  all those brands you mentioned are made by Natura Pet (which is now owned by Proctor and Gamble).  My local shops participate in their frequent buyer's club for all those (buy 10 bags, or cases of cans, get 1 free).   And just FYI, as you know, I had been using the Cal. Natural (along with canned and raw), and on Fri. one of my kitties was diagnosed with UTI.  He did not have crystals, and the vet recommended no diet change at this point, unless it happens again.  I think it was a true bacterial infection, so I don't know that the diet had anything to do with it, but I just thought I'd pass that info along to you!  The EVO's ash/mineral content is REALLY high, that's what's always made me steer away from it-- I have 2 males.  

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found this and thought it might be helpful about pet foods manufactured in Thailand.  http://petshops.about.com/od/petfood/f/Pet-Foods-Made-In-Thailand.htm
Articles that make you go hmmmm...  I had to laugh at this statement.  

"The Myth that Pet Foods Made in Thailand are Less Expensive to Produce

Forman set the record straight about this. “It certainly is not cheaper. The labor is cheaper. But the cost of making and running equipment is the same.”

Another excerpt explaining who Foreman is - "So I spoke with David Forman, owner of Massachusetts-based Weruva, one of the most respected natural pet food brands on the market, which happens to be produced in Thailand."

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Articles that make you go hmmmm...  I had to laugh at this statement.  

"The Myth that Pet Foods Made in Thailand are Less Expensive to Produce

Forman set the record straight about this. “It certainly is not cheaper. The labor is cheaper. But the cost of making and running equipment is the same.”

Another excerpt explaining who Foreman is - "So I spoke with David Forman, owner of Massachusetts-based Weruva, one of the most respected natural pet food brands on the market, which happens to be produced in Thailand."

Statements like that do make me chuckle as well!

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Three Cat Night,  all those brands you mentioned are made by Natura Pet (which is now owned by Proctor and Gamble).  My local shops participate in their frequent buyer's club for all those (buy 10 bags, or cases of cans, get 1 free).   And just FYI, as you know, I had been using the Cal. Natural (along with canned and raw), and on Fri. one of my kitties was diagnosed with UTI.  He did not have crystals, and the vet recommended no diet change at this point, unless it happens again.  I think it was a true bacterial infection, so I don't know that the diet had anything to do with it, but I just thought I'd pass that info along to you!  The EVO's ash/mineral content is REALLY high, that's what's always made me steer away from it-- I have 2 males.  
Krysta, I read up on the Manuf of pet food in Thailand and it sure sounds ok but I decided to try a couple of other brands aside of Ca Natural ( because petsmart doesn't carry it) I am trying Innova Prime, grain free ( not as high in protein as evo ) and buffalo blue " sensitive stomach" . My cats mysterious illness led me to the vet and for only a mere $ 950.00 he is back home & acting normal, almost. He had the works done from senior blood panels to complete xrays of every inch , sonogram,
Two teeth extracted and lots of meds. They still don't know why he was walking so weird, but it seems much better and his heart murmur is low level also. Things we had to know about and I would be happy to pay (okay maybe not happy) whatever costs are needed to make him healthy. Sorry to hear your boy had UTI. Hope he is better . All three boys like the new food so far. Thanks for the info!
3 cat night

gigigenie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My five-month old kitten has only eaten dry SN.  She loves it!  I tried to switch her to Evolve, which is available locally, but she only took a mouthful and spit it out next to her bowl.  I am being very cautious about having wheat products in any foods because I had to put down another cat who developed complications from diabetes.  Most feline diabetes is caused by having products in foods which cats would not normally eat.  I will only buy wheat-free products for any animal I have.  Allie is sleek, full of energy, has a healthy appetite, and is growing as she should!

michalann65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had my kitties on EVO dry & wet for about a year and they gained a tremendous amount of weight.  I have not ever had much luck with the weight reduction foods of any brand, seems like they only eat more.  I switched to Simply Nourish and my cats love it.  They have d  Severa; one really well on it and I feed them a mixture of the dry and the stew.  Several months ago I had several of them with tummy upsets and was concerned with the food.  My local Petsmart gave me a number to call and the people I talked with were very responsive.  In fact one of the reps I spoke with was a lady who had lost her dog in the food debacle a few years ago with the Melamine from China so she was very atuned to the pain & suffering involved with that.

If you still are looking for info I can talk with the Petsmart people here and see if I can possibly get the same people for you.  I am sorry that I did not keep their names.  Just to be on the safe side they had the local Petsmart here pull all the bags with a certain SKU #, the one that mine had eaten and told Petsmart to replace the food for me and included a couple of extra bags.  I thought that was very customer friendly.

Just let me know if you would like a name & I will see what I can do for you.

sadiemaekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would be very interested in the information as to where the dry food is manufactured also.
About 6 months ago I found SN in my local petsmart and decided to try some of the canned food. And amazingly ALL 7 of my babies loved it. I have been feeding them Cat Chow Naturals for the past year and canned food only every few weeks... I was always told by my vet that dry food was best for their teeth because when my first 2 were kittens i fed them wet everyday and they had dental problems. But I have seen so much on here and other sites recently that I am looking into changing their diet. And since they LOVE the SN canned food It would be cool if I could give them the dry too.
I'm still new to the diet thing and unsure of what is the best for my babies, especially since I cannot afford the most expensive brands. So any info on SN would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!