Simply Nourish cat food , new for my cats

catmama21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is a bit of an older post, but I just happened to see it just now. Would like to say I have been feeding my cats who are both 2 years old the SN Chicken and Turkey recipe for about 9 months now, and we have had 0 issues! My male was very sensitive about what he ate and we played hell trying to find something that agreed with him and that he liked, and didn't break the bank...and this was it. My kitties love it, no skin issues, no UTI issues, nothing. They rip the bag open if I leave it out when they're bowl gets empty :) So it's a successful product for this kitty household:)

cccc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you catmama for your post. I will be trying the SN dry for my next store visit. Thats great news! Especially that they enjoy it that much and no  UTI  issues thats amazing!

Thank you for the post.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to add that I just spoke to customer service and they said Simply Nourish dry is made in the USA. Just thought that info might help someone. 

Also, they make a grain free formula:

Ingredients: 
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Dried Potatoes, Dried Peas, Canola Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flaxseed, Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Salt, Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pantothenic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Dried Chicory Root, Dried Cranberries, Dried Carrots, Dried Sweet Potatoes, Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite)

Guaranteed Analysis: 
Crude Protein (min.) 40.0%
Crude Fat (min.) 18.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 5.5%
Moisture (max.) 10.0%
Calcium (min.) 1.2%
Phosphorus (min.) 0.9%
Potassium (min) 0.4%
Magnesium (min.) 0.05%
Zinc (min) 175 mg/kg
Selenium (min) 0.3 mg/kg
Vitamin A (min) 30,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E (min) 350 IU/kg
Omega-6 Fatty Acids (min) 2.0%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min) 0.5%
Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C) (min.)*100 mg/kg
Methionine (min) 0.62%
Lysine (min) 1.2%
Taurine (min) 0.2%

Last edited:

catmama21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you catmama for your post. I will be trying the SN dry for my next store visit. Thats great news! Especially that they enjoy it that much and no  UTI  issues thats amazing!

Thank you for the post.
Your welcome! I think it's a good food for them, and I like it's grain free cause we have grain allergies in this house. I like its made in the USA! I have yet to try the wet food tho... My cat's don't really eat wet food hardly, but in anyone's opinion, do you think I should give them some once in a blue moon? Some people say yes and some say no. They are young and issue free for now so Im wondering about trying a little of the SN wet food. Opinions :)

cccc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes mine liked the SN canned chicken salmon flavor. i also had bought the canned halo and receipe brand  they are ok with all three. I think they like the SN the best they dont eat much canned food.

The assistant at banfield said if your cats dont get some canned food for moisture in there diet and drink enough fresh water daily they can get urinary problems.

MIne had one infection 5 years ago when i use to give them dry food only because canned is fattening and they are indoor. 

So when she got the UI issue they put her on a special ISO formula which can only be purchases with a prescription which the vets have to do an exam yearly to allow you to buy it . Bunch of BS just a way to waste your money at the vet office. 

So I am now on regular cat food and placed 2 water bowls out hoping we dont get any problems. Mine dont care for alot of canned food anyway they grew up on dry. I give them a spoonful of canned and sometimes it gets wasted and drys out they dont eat it all. Only time will tell.

tuddypuddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ha ha, I got an email back as well.  All they said was it was made in the USA, and if I still needed the other info, I should reply with the specific formula I'm interested in, my address, and the Petsmart location that I shop at, and that the questions would be submitted to another department or something.  This makes me feel like they're probably going to dance around the questions and just try to send me coupons or something.  So we'll see.....    I just feel like if they expect me to buy their product, then I have a right to know this info.

tuddypuddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Their cat food is horrible! Looks like cat puke. I have 3 cats and not one would eat it .

dohdeelicious

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So glad I found this thread. I had decent success with the wet form of this brand. Didn't realize it was Petsmart private label.

Can someone please tell me why Petsmart won't sell wet food online?!!

sottovoce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I am very thankful to have spotted Simply Nourish.  I've had a really difficult time changing my cats food from Fancy Feast and I have tried numerous brands with grain-free and SN is one of two she can eat without throwing up.  I also changed her dry food from Purina Indoor and of the 4 bags I purchased SN was the only one she would eat. It has all been a traumatic experience with very little sleep. 

diannab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Krysta,

As a wildlife rehabber i have seen many male animals develop severe urinary track infections which also affects cats and dogs.  In working with vets on this issue , as i understand, the problem is with the dry kibbled foods rather then the wet.  The problem arises when dry food is the main food source which in itself requires extra water for digestion.  The second problem arises from high protein which requires even more water for digestion so the animal's water requirement is much higher then they will normally drink.  When they don't or won't drink enough water the PH of their urine raises which allows bacteria to grow and sand ( crystals) begin to form... this sand will eventually fill their urinary track and many times requires a very painful procedure of reaming the sand out of the penis and a long stint of antibiotics.  If you don't get the crystals out they will not be able to urinate and will die a very painful death.  Ash also creates problems and is much higher in dry food.    

Cats are especially difficult to get them to drink....  i personally have never had any uti problems with any of my pets or wildlife rescues.  I leave dry food out for free feeding but give them all wet food and home cooked chicken or a high quality wet food. as their main meal in the evening.  If you are feeding them simply nourish dry food... it is recommended that you soak all dry food in a little water or chicken broth before feeding.  This moisture will help keep their ph at a normal to low reading.   

You asked specifically about Simply Nourish.  I feed the wet stews frequently to my finicky cats and they love it... all the flavors.  I did not know it was made it Thailand... but as i said i haven't had any problems..... i have been using it for about a year.  Canned tuna is a good choice also... i get the water packed and leave about half the water in it for them.   

tonya joy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi peeps with fur babies:

Updating my comments since last time.  I have Sweetie on Orijen Chicken Cat & Kitten dry now.  He loves this stuff!  This and Orijen Six Fish. (first 6 ingredients are different species of fish).  Let's talk Chicken.  Whole prey diet-cage free chicken & cage free turkey, herring among other great ingredients.80% chicken, turkey, eggs, & fish ingredients- 20% fruits, veg., and botanicals-0% grain, potato or GMO.  Crude protein is min 42%!

He now gets apprx. 2 cans of Dave's 95% Meat canned cat food and about 1/4 cup of dry.  I'm finding that he dislikes gravy type wet food, loves pate' and changed his wet food tastes to canned fish from chicken .   Turns his nose up at human food like roast chik & even bringing him home med. porterhouse steak tidbits was a wasted effort.  Not complaining though!  If he prefers his Orijen to human food that's fine!   You won't find Orijen at Petsmart.  Look for it online or at small(er) box stores like Tailspin, which is where I shop.  I love their customer service and the free samples they have.  I use them for treats, and can experiment with his changing tastes.  Blue Buffalo is still his least liked among dry food.

Love your posts cat lovers!

heart4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently changed to Simply Nourish Grain Free cat food. My cats love it. We were looking for something that would promote urinary health in particular. I have several cats, one with allergies to wheat and two others who do not do well with anything containing corn. After spending about an hour in Petsmart reading labels and comparing ingredients of all the different 'urinary tract health' specific foods and others with no grains I found Simply Nourish to have all of the ingredients specified as for urinary tract health, along with no meat by products, so no crushed bones etc. My cats love it. All of them.

Heart4Cats

seaturtleswims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like the Simply Nourish- we use the turkey and oatmeal formula and kitten formula and mix em together haha :) I work at petsmart though so I get it discounted. It's supposed to be on par with nature's recipe or nutro. I like it better than nutro because nutro has a lot of recalls when you look up it's reliability online however simply nourish is a newer brand I imagine and so maybe hasn't had time to goof up any ingredients yet. It's college student budget friendly unlike blue or natural instinct or innova so I like it :)

avance

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have four cats (all 7-8 years old) and I feel like I'm putting out a buffet at each feeding.  I have tried all the big name brands as well as store brands and they're not crazy about any of them.   BUT my husband brought home a sample of Simply Nourish one night and I tried it and it's a miracle-- they all like it--the Chicken & Duck Stew.  There was absolutely no problem in changing foods and they're all licking their dish clean when finished.  Do try it and let me know if you have the same results.

jano437

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding mine simply nourish for a few months now, and he loves it. Licks the bowl clean. I do want to keep a rotation on other foods though to give him different flavors and textures. But simply nourish is his favorite

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi peeps with fur babies:

Updating my comments since last time.  I have Sweetie on Orijen Chicken Cat & Kitten dry now.  He loves this stuff!  This and Orijen Six Fish. (first 6 ingredients are different species of fish).  Let's talk Chicken.  Whole prey diet-cage free chicken & cage free turkey, herring among other great ingredients.80% chicken, turkey, eggs, & fish ingredients- 20% fruits, veg., and botanicals-0% grain, potato or GMO.  Crude protein is min 42%!

He now gets apprx. 2 cans of Dave's 95% Meat canned cat food and about 1/4 cup of dry.  I'm finding that he dislikes gravy type wet food, loves pate' and changed his wet food tastes to canned fish from chicken .   Turns his nose up at human food like roast chik & even bringing him home med. porterhouse steak tidbits was a wasted effort.  Not complaining though!  If he prefers his Orijen to human food that's fine!   You won't find Orijen at Petsmart.  Look for it online or at small(er) box stores like Tailspin, which is where I shop.  I love their customer service and the free samples they have.  I use them for treats, and can experiment with his changing tastes.  Blue Buffalo is still his least liked among dry food.

Love your posts cat lovers!
Be careful too much fish is NOT good, especially for male cats.

litehearted

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently purchased the Simply Nourish Duck & Oatmeal kibble from Petsmart, after asking an employee to recommend something with "limited ingredients".   Our two cats seem to like it well enough, or at least they were neutral about it.  Have been feeding it to them for about a month now.  This morning I noticed that our 9.5 year old cat had spit up 3 spots of bile on his sleeping mat.  This is unusual.  I went online to find out more about Simply Nourish, as I need to buy some fresh cat food on Friday.  This thread indicates that Simply Nourish is made in the USA.  However, another site got the answer that the food is made in China.  http://www.dogforums.com/dog-food-forum/129802-never-assume-anything.html

Not sure what to think?   I like Orijen, but it is only available in Canada at Global Pet Foods so I have to make a special trip (Pet Valu and Petsmart are on my usual route).  It's made by http://www.championpetfoods.com, which also makes Acana.  I have tried the 6-fish formula and the cats liked it, but recently read that too much fish is not great and they already get fish in their wet food.  So I'm going to try the Cat & Kitten Whole Prey formula and see how it goes.  And I think I might try Canidae, as I like to mix the kibble to get some variety.  http://petvalu.com/cat/food/product/18756/all-life-stages-canidae.  I also like to buy a small package of NOW to mix in.

Note: “Made in Canada” doesn't mean that all processing happened in Canada and it certainly doesn't ensure that all ingredients are sourced within Canada. “Made in Canada” merely means that a significant product change, say the processing of chicken breasts into dehydrated jerky, happened at a facility in Canada. For truly Canadian pet  food, and products, look for “Product of Canada”, which signifies that 98% of the ingredient base and processing is Canadian.  Written about dog food, but applies to cat food as well:  http://www.homesalive.ca/learning-centre/ways-pet-food-companies-trick-you.html.  I don't think there is any perfect food available on the market for our pets, and it is mind-boggling reading the complicated ingredients. :(

tonya joy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Cat Lovers!

Thanks for the input, Bonepicker.     He will be done with Orijen 6 Fish in about 2 wks and will be eating Orijen  Chicken.   Sweetie is a neutered male cat, and the vet said it is fine to feed him Orijen Six Fish as he is fairly young:  about 3 yrs. old. 

You rock, cat lovers!

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Cat Lovers!

Thanks for the input, Bonepicker.     He will be done with Orijen 6 Fish in about 2 wks and will be eating Orijen  Chicken.   Sweetie is a neutered male cat, and the vet said it is fine to feed him Orijen Six Fish as he is fairly young:  about 3 yrs. old. 

You rock, cat lovers!
. My cats eat canned food but I feed them a few regional red orijen kibble or Purebites freeze dried chicken for treats (both dog versions) same stuff though!

Last edited:

shawna smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just wanted to add, I sometimes buy the pork meatloaf version of S.nourish  (no chicken, fish, dairy, only oatmeal and barley for grains) carrageenan may still be a factor though.. they use egg whites instead of egg product ( not sure if that's better for allergies hmm..) but it's pretty affordable..

also wanted to point out for those who dry simply nourish has a a grain free cat food that you can get for  about $15.00  (on sale ) I think 18.00 otherwise  for a  6lb bag of either chicken (no fish or eggs in that one)  or salmon (chicken or eggs  for those with poultry allergies).. also wanted to point out authority has a grain free dry cat food  4lbs for $12.00 ( beet pulp might be an issue and salmon oil for those with allergies note) but good for a limited diet..

and finally about Regional red ..  how's that going for ya bonepicker? I'm surprised to see Wild Boar finally make into cat food I might consider buying the treats which I believe are just Beef, Lamb, and Boar ( no fish in that one)..