Simply Nourish cat food , new for my cats

mybrownsie1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to stay away from high protein which one is it that has 40% protein!

michalann65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I  felt like I should weigh in since in an earlier post I had been an advocate for Simply Nourish.  My cats have eaten it for about 3 years now and it seemed to agree with them and they liked it.  Then I started to notice a great deal of "powder" or very finely crumbled food at the bottom of the bag, and then all thru the food.  In fact so bad that they would get it in their noses and throats and choke while trying to eat it.  It only got worse from there to where a bag of food that lasted me about 8-9 days only lasted me about 5 due to the extremely high amount of inedible food in the bag.  I called their corporate offices and spoke with someone who finally admitted they had a problem and would get back with me.  I waited and waited and even called back again and was told they have no answerers yet and I could tell from the tone of the conversation they were not really interested in finding out either.  I have finally given up and gone back to Blue Wilderness but wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem with the food.

This is much more than a normal amount of crumbled food would be just from shaking the bag during shipment.....this was up to several inches in the bottom and thru out the bag.

jkwomack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've actually just switched off Blue Buffalo after hearing from a number of sources that it's causing major crystals in urine. I've been feeding it for a while, even back when I had my dog, but I have a cat prone to UTIs and I'm wondering if it isn't from his food. Just something to be aware of if you're feeding Blue Buffalo.

tonya joy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys n gals! 

All of these mentioned below are dry cat foods:

My Sweetie (a all white stray approx. 8 yrs. old) liked Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck ..but would gag on the nuggets and spit out the "Life Source Bits"  It was high in protein, about 48% , didn't have to feed much for him to feel full, and his poop didn't smell much and I really liked that. 

I changed to Precise Natural Light because of his gagging and spitting out the Life Source Bits as that was wasting nearly half the food.  Precise had a cheerio's type shape, so not as hard a crunch to it-and he eats it ok, but not with the enthusiasm he showed with Blue Buffalo Wilderness, and it is only min. 28% crude protein.

So now I come to Simply Nourish Sweet Potato & Salmon Limited Ingredients dry cat food. 

First ingredient is sweet potatoes, 2nd Salmon meal, 3rd Salmon, 4th Canola Oil. 

" It is a formula with added vitamins, and minerals for cats with unique dietary needs.  Only contains one primary protein, one primary carbohydrate source, with no fillers or artificial flavors, colors or preservatives,  to limit the number of ingredients your pet consumes."

This is what interested me in the cat food, a simple diet, With deboned salmon. didn't know it was a Pet Smart brand ..shows it is not less than 32% crude protein, wishing it were more.  Metabolizable energy 3,309 kcal/kg (Calculated) 

My red flag was up upon reading that people were having a hard time getting info on this cat food.  Sooo, on the bottom of the bag it says for more information about Simply Nourish products please call 1-888-299-PETS.  Dist. by/par: Simply Nourish Pet Food Company, 19601 N. 27th Ave., Phoenix, Az. USA 85027

When I place a small 1/8 scoop of Simply Nourish beside his Precise Cat food, he goes to the Simply Nourish first. 

Wishing Blue Buffalo made a softer/ thinner easier to chew Wilderness dry cat food .  I'd buy it in a heartbeat!  I like the higher protein and he likes the flavor but my Sweetie has a hard time chewing those nuggets.

And P.S:  He also has wet cat food 3-4 times a week.

Thanks for reading.  I enjoyed reading yours, very much/

Tonya

7marvels

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm looking into Simply Nourish as well, would you be able to share your research about the manufacturer with me as well?

We feed our cats Natures Valley grain free wet and dry and mix is up with others to keep things new. But they love Simply Nourish shrimp and tilapia treats. I'd like to know who makes them and where. thank you!

blitzen2cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Three Cat Night (love the nick btw)...I've been feeding my cats Iams for a long time and since my older cat turned 8, needed to find a mature food for them. Oddly enough, the Mature Iams line has 'chicken by-product meal' as the first ingredient, and chicken is like 5 or 6 down on the list after some other dubious ingredients. Chicken is the first ingredient in the rest of the Iams line, however, so I realized I needed to change to a better food. Plus, I heard bad things about how Iams treats the animals at their facilities, so that was more motivation to find a better food and stop giving them my money so they can house poor animals in deplorable conditions :( 

Which brings me to Simply Nourish. I bought a bag of the Salmon and Sweet Potato and thought the girls liked it, so after a day or so I mixed the bag in with the rest of the Iams so I could introduce them to the new food. Now my older cat is leaving the SN in the bowl and coming to me for more food, so she's picking it out. It's pretty clear she doesn't like it, so I'm tempted to pick it out, let them finish the rest of the Iams and just throw the SN away, since I of course threw away the bag and can't return it.

After reading all the posts in this thread, I've come to the conclusion that it might be best to move on and find something better. Will look into the California brand and Nutro...need to find a relatively inexpensive source for good-quality cat food! LOL. The expensive route would be a prescription food like Science Diet, but they don't need that (and I've seen for myself that the 'weight control' doesn't help take the weight off).

Thanks for all the interesting info! It's a real shame the makers of SN (whoever they are) aren't willing to get back to you...it's crazy how difficult they make taking care of our babies!

Thanks,

Blitzen2Cats

blitzen2cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I noticed some folks asking about Simply Nourish and was compelled to reply. PetSmart's brands of dog and cat food is manufactured by Simmons Pet Food, Inc. (formerly known as Menu Foods). Here is the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menu_Foods

On another note, if folks don't already know, there is a FDA pet food recall list that is updated fairly regularly. I use it to check the track record of different pet food companies. The link is: http://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/safetyhealth/recallswithdrawals/default.htm

Just thought I'd pass the info along for those who didn't already know.
Thank you SO much for posting this link...I saw that Diamon Kitten formula was recalled just at the end of September due to a low Thiamine level, and I had *just* ordered the Diamond Indoor Cat formula, so I panicked a bit...after less than a minute on hold, a nice woman came on and informed me that no, it did not include the Indoor formula or any of the other formulas, just the Kitten...plus, it was for bags that had an expiration date of April of this year, so what I ordered was just fine...phew! Thank you for sharing this link, that's a load off :) Hopefully they will like it...it might not be for mature cats but it seems healthy and they sure don't like the Simply Natural.

Blitzen2Cats

katie vance

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed my cat Simply Nourish quite often, the indoor turkey and oatmeal one and my cat loves it and she can be picky. She seems much more lively when she eats this food too. I think the ingredients are great. I've also tried the grain free one too and that is fantastic as well.

gummifuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats love the Simply Nourish Limited Ingredient and the "Source" grain-free high protein dry food.  I work for PetSmart and after my discount I'm pretty much paying only $4-5 dollars for a bag of the stuff. The only thing I don't like about it is the only source of fat for most of the formulas being a plant oil. I wish they'd change that.

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed Simply Nourish to my dog and hes been doing great on it. I feed the lamb/Oatmeal version. Not sure if they make a cat formula in that but the canned foods were a hit here for the cats. Nutro, I have no faith in that company anymore. I fed their food years ago to my German Shepherd and Rottie both did great on it. Changed my large dog to Nutro a year ago immediately started to bile vomit twice a day every day even when being fed 3 meals a day. Then I put my smaller old dog on it, she to started to bile vomit every day. Did blood work on my previously healthy small dog....liver enzymes were elevated. Changed both over to Simply Nourish, the larger dog stopped bile vomiting and hasnt vomited since and the smaller dogs liver went back to normal. Do I believe Nutro is the cause? Yep, absolutely. Will I ever let them touch their canned or kibble (cats included)? Nope. Sad part is I googled it and I wasnt the only one having issues with Nutro and bile vomiting as well as liver enzymes but the company still refuses to do anything about it.

cheshiresmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have both my cats on simply nourish dry and wet they love it and are doing well . The one thing I noticed was that they started getting stinky gas but at least their digestive systems are working well haha .
*Edit*
I recently switched my big guy over to Canidae and have noticed a great difference. I would try canidae before simply nourish.

Last edited:

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have both my cats on simply nourish dry and wet they love it and are doing well . The one thing I noticed was that they started getting stinky gas but at least their digestive systems are working well haha .
The gas is probably due to an ingredient they are having a hard time digesting.

petsitter25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Although your post is not a recent one, I just read it, and I was so disappointed in your decision to give the bad cat food to a shelter.  Shelter pets are just as precious and deserve good food too.  You should have thrown it away or returned it to the store for a refund, but never given to another pet.

pezkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just found this thread as well.  Beware marketing terms, lol!  Most "Weight loss" dry food makes cats gain weight because it is higher carb - the fats aren't as important as carbs in determining weight gain or loss.  In *general* wet food is lower carb than dry (one of many reasons wet is better).  Also "mature" foods are often higher carb.  The main thing to look for for older cats is low phosphorous (not on most labels except Hill's).

I've found 5 dry foods that are grain and fish free & though they vary in carb content all are under 30% - Wellness CORE (Turkey/Duck is 26% carb), California Natural which has been mentioned (24%), Innova Prime Chicken & Turkey (19%), Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingred. (chicken variety is only 9% carb), and Wysong Epigen 90 (8%).  NV & Wellness have ground flaxseed but otherwise I haven't seen questionable ingredients in any of these.  (With canned food you also need to look for & avoid carrageenan, but it's not used in dry foods.)

I've only tried the canned Simply Nourish & to me seems to be a lot of liquid & small amount of meat for the price.  My husband said "but you water canned food down anyway" - yes, but I don't pay for the water, lol! 

Good luck to those searching, there is no perfect food.  There are quite a few other threads & articles here about cat nutrition though! :)

Last edited:

cccc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I purchased 3 cans since they were on sale for 99 cents. Both my cats would not eat the potatoes on the tuna potato flavor. The tuna part was nice it was exactly like a regular can of tuna. I have not given them the other 2 flavors yet. I do know now that they don't like potatoes!

Cant say anything for the dry I have not tried it. We will see how they like the duck and chicken maybe next week.

I then bought the HALO chicken stew pate which was ranked number 1 on reviews and both my cats ate it all up. I found a winner.

For my picky cat to finally find a can food she liked was amazing.

I now purchased the dry HALO the healthy weight which is the latest on the line and we will see how they do.

pezkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I  think the canned Spot's Stew has garlic; it's pretty low on the list but still no reason to put a potentially harmful ingredient in cat food at all.  I was disappointed as I had read good reviews as well.  I'm sure it's fine to give her once in a while but I would avoid it in quantity.

And an update on dry - since we opened the bag of California Natural, our Maine Coon has gained a bit of weight compared to when she was eating NV Instinct & Wysong.  Gotta be the carbs!

cccc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I remember spot stew many years back. This one is called spots choice. After reading your post i checked for garlic it doesn't list any. It is also grain free which is nice. So maybe they made improvements since then.

Glad you mentioned it i didnt know the dangerous of garlic thought it was good for everyone.

Back to simply nourish think i may have made a mistake buying duck flavor. Or duck anything. I have a huge bag of natural balance which the ingredients sound amazing and my cats will not touch it.

Well its duck so maybe thats the issue. I purchased simply nourish duck and i think my cats are going to hate it as well. Anyone else have this problem? 

cccc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update my cats had the simply nourish chicken salmon stew this morning and luved it! Im glad cuz the price is much better than other canned food out there. I want to try and buy there dry food since its had good reviews on here as well. I didn't notice the prices for the dry formulas although I don't think it will cost more than the royal canine we are on now?