Simon's FIP results are in

simon's mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet just called me Simon is negative for FIP. I am so happy.
I have to take him back in 10 days to see if his gingivits has cleared up. At that time he will be getting a vaccine for FeLV and FIP. Thank you for your support everyone.
Simon and I are very happy that he is not sick.

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Simon's Mommy
The vet just called me Simon is negative for FIP. I am so happy.
I have to take him back in 10 days to see if his gingivitis has cleared up. At that time he will be getting a vaccine for FeLV and FIP. Thank you for your support everyone.
Simon and I are very happy that he is not sick.
Out of curiosity, why are you vaccinating Simon for these diseases? Do you have a multiple cat household with cats in and out or do they board somewhere regularly, coming in contact with unknown cats? While it may seem to be safe than sorry, there is a potential sarcoma problem to consider with the FeLV vaccine and since FIP is contagious and transmitted from cat to cat, unless this is the situation you are wasting money, in my humble opinion. Please don't misunderstand as I am all for taking proper care of pets but these two vaccines are definitely on the optional list rather than the necessary list.

Pete

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simon's mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats in my home. They are indoor cats but I sometimes cat sit for family. Also someday I would like to become a breeder. I would not want any of my cats to be infected. And what if one would happen to get out of my home now and get into a fight with a stray. I would just rather not have to worry about this sort of thing and the test is more money than the vaccine. My cat has been tested and has now been proven to be negative for both so why take the risk? I have the money for the 2 vaccines now. I would not want to have to go throught the worry that I went through last night. I was also told I had to wait 5 days to get the test back and I got the call today. Nextime I may not get it back that quick. If it can be prevented why not prevent it? I would not want to let my cat get something I can prevent them from getting.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are concerned with cats coming to visit and such, then yes I would recomend the FELV vaccine. However I do not recomend ANY cat getting the FIP vaccine. It has not been proven effective and has caused the virus in some cases. FIP is a big unknown and it is taking a risk just by giving them the vaccine.
As a breeder, I will test any new cat for FELV but I will NOT vaccinate for it. Most reactions are induced by the FELV vaccine. Also as a breeder, it is not wise to let cats into the house that have not been quarantined or tested. Do some more research on the different vaccines before you let the vet give them to your cats.

simon's mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So you do not think he should have FeLV vaccine eaither? Why may I ask do you not give this to your cats? I have been reading about the FIP vaccine and do not think I am going to get it now. So you also think he should not have the FeLV vaccine? Are there risks like him getting the virus with this vaccine too?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The FELV is less likley to cause the virus. It does tend to cause more reactions though. By reactions I mean they get really ill and need to get back to the vet for treatment.
My reason for not giving them the vaccine is because I feel no need to over vaccinate for something I have a slim to none chance on my cats getting. Like I said, all cats in the house are tested. I am very cautious about this. The only way it is contracted is through bodily fluids. FELV is a personal choice and I just don't feel it is necessary for my cats.
I am glad you are doing research on the FIP. I am glad you are steering away from it.

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Simon's Mommy
So you do not think he should have FeLV vaccine either? Why may I ask do you not give this to your cats? I have been reading about the FIP vaccine and do not think I am going to get it now. So you also think he should not have the FeLV vaccine? Are there risks like him getting the virus with this vaccine too?
The main risk with FeLV is whether the vaccine contains live or dead culture of the disease. The purpose of a vaccine is to trigger the immune system to create antibodies against it, thus creating a resistance and immunity to the disease. Using the live culture there is a slight chance the cat will actually become infected with the disease if it's immune system cannot create the antibodies to combat it. Kind of a Catch-22 situation. There have been vast improvements in vaccines over the last several years, but my experience has been you will find few breeders who vaccinate regularly for these two problems. It is not a cost thing, certainly not for us as either one of these diseases can wipe out a cattery, but rather a decision based on education of the diseases, how they are transmitted and the effectiveness of the vaccine, as well as the conditions we use to control our cats and cattery. The bottom line is how you feel about this. These are your cats, your house and your beliefs. We, as breeders, are offering our opinion based on our experience and what we have found works for us; you must make the final decision and I hope you will make it based on your own research rather than feel you are being pushed in one direction or another by one of us. Regardless of your decision you must believe what you are doing is in the best interests of your cats and stick to that decision.

Pete

billie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dearest, does this mean that if a cat is strictly indoors it needs not to get a vaccine?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In most cases an indoor only cat does not need the FELV. Of course there are exceptions. If you were a person who brings unkown cats in the house or your cat sneaks out, then yes you would want to vaccinate for the FELV. I personally will not vaccinate any indoor or outdoor cats with the FIP. All cats should get the rabies and the feline distemper vaccine though.

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Billie
Dearest, does this mean that if a cat is strictly indoors it needs not to get a vaccine?
Billie,
That is not what I said or implied and neither did Sandie. I do, however, disagree with Sandie on the rabies. I will only vaccinate for that if they are to be shipped or if they are show cats. As our cattery is closed, there is no possibility of outside cats causing problems. However, should a judge mishandle a cat (which can happen more than you would believe) and the cat bites him/her at least the cat is vaccinated and there will be no need for quarantine, etc. I do agree with Sandie that all cats are vaccinated with what is required for kittens as well as the annual boosters.

Pete

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, Hattcats you don't actually disagree with me. I feel in is not necessary but I do it because it is required by the law. You have to remember I work for a vet and I can never tell someone to break a law. I also do it because if the state ever decided to drop in for some unknown reason, I would have to show proof of current rabies. I am just glad I live in a 3 year state

simon's mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know I must make the decision on what to do with my cats I was just wondering what all of you sugested. I do not as of now vaccinate my cats for rabies but I may when I move. As I have said they could get out not that I would let them out. I do think I will get the vaccine for FeLV because it is a killed virus. On the other hand I do not think I will get the FIP because it is a live virus and it is not proven to protect the cat enough. I have read that it may cause FIP to develop. And I would not want to harm my babies in any way. I thank all of you for your input. If you have anything else I should know regarding this issue plese let me know.

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Sandie
Well, Hattcats you don't actually disagree with me. I feel in is not necessary but I do it because it is required by the law. You have to remember I work for a vet and I can never tell someone to break a law. I also do it because if the state ever decided to drop in for some unknown reason, I would have to show proof of current rabies. I am just glad I live in a 3 year state
Hi Sandie,
It's the law here in Florida, too, but ours is an annual state which is ridicules. Studies have proven we are over vaccinating our pets but as it makes up a large amount of most Vet's income they have been fighting any change that would reduce the vaccination schedule. One of my concerns with the rabies is that the city and state then have a record of the animals you have vaccinated. With the crazy breeder laws different states are trying to pass, Florida included, I don't want to provide any more information than necessary. I give my animals their shots myself, rabies included. The only time it would not suffice would be to ship as the airlines require a health certificate from a Vet and none I know of will validate unless they have given the rabies shot themselves. My Vet's office has instituted a policy of not treating any animal not vaccinated for rabies; the kicker is that it must be done by a Vet! They won't even bathe an animal without it. The Vet I usually see is terrific and she will spend a lot more time than necessary just to talk; we have learned a lot from each other in these conversations. I told her with the new policy her boss has instituted she will be seeing a lot less of me, which I hate. She is excellent and less that 10 minutes away.

Pete

ttapestry1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hooray that he doesn't have FIP!!!!!! What great news!!!!

I agree with you guys. The vets do impliment weird policies just so they can pad their pockets. What kills me is they require proof of vaccination but don't require any kind of testing like leuk/FIV. It seems ridiculous to me. Our nonprofit test for both these diseases and they encourage us to but they don't!