Similar raw red marks on cats noses

faerielovely

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Less than a week or so ago, I noticed one of my cats had a scab on her nose. I didn't think much of it, as she is consistently getting into things and I assumed she'd scratched herself. I've been keeping an eye on it and it seemed to be healing I thought. Tonight I noticed one of my other cats with a nearly identical mark on his nose, and my 3rd cat has sores on his lower lips where his upper fangs/canines come in contact with his lower lips. Not sure if the 3rd cat is related but definitely concerned because it's all happening at once. They all seem fine, are eating and drinking normally. The cat with sores on his lip is uncomfortable and was very upset when I was looking at his mouth but is fine now sleeping on my feet. Obviously a vet visit is being scheduled tomorrow but since they are acting normally I'm reluctant to go to the emergency vet. I was hoping someone might recognize these marks on my cats noses and assuage some of my paranoia, I'm reading things that say it's likely cancer or a severe fungal issue so not sure how worried I need to be or how quickly I need to rush them to the vet. I have photos of the noses (they were not thrilled with me so forgive me holding their faces) but couldn't get the mouth sore cat to hold still for a picture and didn't want to force it. Any advice or information is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most unusual.  I have no idea, except to ask it is possible they were sniffing something that was caustic?  Someone recently posted about Hartz litter having something in it that was acidic that actually burned the inside of their cats' mouths when they licked their paws after having been in the litter box.  So...it would be hard to guess these days what might be caustic and what might not be.  Perhaps a new cleaner of some sort? 

Anyway, that's why it looks like to me...some sort of burn, like an acidic burn.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faerielovely

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know some people use apple cider vinegar in a cats water as a health regimen, is white vinegar strong enough to burn like this? Recently, I put vinegar in one of my little trainquility fountains to try and loosen some of the calcium/mineral buildup. I didnt put very much but I know the cats have occassionally tried to drink from the fountain. I was hoping the vinegar would do a double duty of repelling the cats but also not being harsh enough to hurt them if they were stubborn and tried to drink it anyways. Could that have hurt them this badly?? I would be mortified if I did this to them.

My vet said as long as they are behaving normally he wouldn't worry too much, and it wasn't bad enough for me to pay the "after hours" price for an emergency visit on the weekend. He scheduled me an appointment for Monday and said I should just bring all 3 cats in then just to be safe. So I'm still waiting for Monday and keeping a close eye on how they are healing.

dbljj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
really looks raw and I would suggest neosporin but knowing how cats lick off everything I would be afraid of that. Let us know what the vet says..

dbljj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a beautiful granite rock made into a  flame that uses lamp fuel, and my tortie stuck her whiskers to it. We smelled hair burning and pulled her away, do not know if she would ever pulled away on her own..something else I cannot use anymore cause cats are so darned curious..They are the same way with candles and I LOVE scented candles.I often say   " did you guys never hear that CURIOSITY killed the cat???"

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sort of looks like a burn, any way they all could have sniffed something hot? A light bulb for melting candle wax comes to mind.

Or it could be a mild case of calicivirus. Some strains aren't prevented by the vaccine. I had it run through my cats, and most just got minor nose lesions like that, though some had it worse. With the one cat having it spread to the inside of his upper lip, I'm kind of leaning toward this as a cause.

Let us know what the vet says!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

faerielovely

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had considered feline heroes but I hadn't thought about the calcivirus, that seems plausible. Hopefully if it is calcivirus it is a minor infection and it doesn't progress any further. Thanks for that suggestion!

Leelee118

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Morning all. My cat has this mark on her nose also. Did you get to the bottom of it ? I recently had a bunch of flowers that had Lilly in them. I always keep flowers out of reach but can not rule out she has stiffed the nectar dew as I went away for a night. She also went out for a night so could be something from outside . Ant advice ?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Morning all. My cat has this mark on her nose also. Did you get to the bottom of it ? I recently had a bunch of flowers that had Lilly in them. I always keep flowers out of reach but can not rule out she has stiffed the nectar dew as I went away for a night. She also went out for a night so could be something from outside . Ant advice ?
I would say just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, take her in to be seen. My guess is that she sniffed something caustic, same as I guessed with the above cats :wink:.

BTW, I never even keep Lily's in the house at all. If someone gives me flowers with Lily's in the bouquet, I politely thank them and then give them away because even if I place them on the fireplace mantle or somewhere the cats can't reach them, I figure a petal can fall or the pollen can blow into the air and trouble can brew. Better safe than sorry is my motto.

Kylie1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[QUOTE="Leelee118, Easter lilies are extremely poisonous to cats, and just 1-2 leaves (or even the pollen) can kill a cat! Even small ingestions can result in severe kidney failure. Sources of poisoning: Many plants of the Lilium and Hemerocallis species are very poisoning

And I took my baby Boda Boda to the vets they couldn't understand what it was but she had her antibiotics I had to give her for six days morning and night and her flu shot n needles she was due for coat around $170

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't have any photos, and it doesn't look quite as bad as your photo Kylie1234 Kylie1234 but my boy gets bitten very badly on his nose when he goes out into the enclosure (we have a lot of mosquitos) and has an allergy to the bite.
I know have an insect repellent from the vet.

Kylie1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[QUOTE="mani, post: 4374230, oooh I wonder if it was a spider bite that did it ????
Boda Boda is always bugging it around the house she loves catching flys

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I would say just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, take her in to be seen. My guess is that she sniffed something caustic, same as I guessed with the above cats :wink:.

BTW, I never even keep Lily's in the house at all. If someone gives me flowers with Lily's in the bouquet, I politely thank them and then give them away because even if I place them on the fireplace mantle or somewhere the cats can't reach them, I figure a petal can fall or the pollen can blow into the air and trouble can brew. Better safe than sorry is my motto.
I agree with Advisor mrsgreenjeens, Lilies are toxic to cats. Here are some species of Lilies and signs to watch out for if your cat had ingested them.

Kaffir lily | Pet Poison Helpline
Lily and Cat, Lilies and Cats - Are Lilies Poisonous to Cats
Lily of the Valley | Pet Poison Helpline

Leelee118

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Keeping an eye on her. It's started to heal over.
With the flowers your 100% right.
Thank you

Madeleinew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Less than a week or so ago, I noticed one of my cats had a scab on her nose. I didn't think much of it, as she is consistently getting into things and I assumed she'd scratched herself. I've been keeping an eye on it and it seemed to be healing I thought. Tonight I noticed one of my other cats with a nearly identical mark on his nose, and my 3rd cat has sores on his lower lips where his upper fangs/canines come in contact with his lower lips. Not sure if the 3rd cat is related but definitely concerned because it's all happening at once. They all seem fine, are eating and drinking normally. The cat with sores on his lip is uncomfortable and was very upset when I was looking at his mouth but is fine now sleeping on my feet. Obviously a vet visit is being scheduled tomorrow but since they are acting normally I'm reluctant to go to the emergency vet. I was hoping someone might recognize these marks on my cats noses and assuage some of my paranoia, I'm reading things that say it's likely cancer or a severe fungal issue so not sure how worried I need to be or how quickly I need to rush them to the vet. I have photos of the noses (they were not thrilled with me so forgive me holding their faces) but couldn't get the mouth sore cat to hold still for a picture and didn't want to force it. Any advice or information is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance.

Madeleinew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had this as well. It lasted a few weeks. It would seem to be healing, then get red again. The vet said it's part of an auto immune disease. She gave her a shot and it healed right up.

Miss_Shannon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat also has come home with this. The first thing I thought was he may have tried to smell a car exhaust that had just been turned off and was still hot? I'm booking him in the vets tomorrow but he seems himself.