Simbadol (buprenorphine) Injection Bad Reaction

MyNeighborTotoro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Currently going through this as well. Took my Cookie to the ER vet as a precaution because of some vomiting. Xrays were clear, just a tummyache but she got an injection of Simbadol. I have no idea why they gave her such a powerful painkiller instead of sending me home with oral Buprenex (which she tolerates well). We'll be at the 72 hour mark in 8 hours and she seems to be slowly coming out of it. Her symptoms:

Pacing for first 24 hours
Not sleeping for the first 40 hours, hasn't gone back to a normal sleep schedule yet.
Pupils dilated
Has an appetite, but only wants "junk" food- treats, food toppers/appetizers.
Haven't seen her drink water so I've been sneaking it into her food.

They told me she "might" be loopy for 24 hours. Cookie is a 12 year old tuxedo chonk, not sure how much that affects this outcome. None of my other cats have weight issues.

If I sit alone with her in a dark room she will sleep now but the pacing is still there on and off.

romanianyuuko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty Ajax (11 y/o m) was bitten by some animal outside. There were two punctures/cuts on the back of one of his front legs, but no other injuries. Poor baby came home limping & in pain. Took him to the vet & she gave him a “long-lasting pain med” & gave me gabapentin for his pain & major anxiety. I’m just a teenager & have never dealt with a vet before, so I didn’t even question what the medication was, that was my lesson learned. He’s had a very similar reaction: pupils dilated, not sleeping, rolling around on the carpet, being all-around really weird. Since I had no clue what medication she gave him, I’ve been scrambling online trying to figure it out, & finally came across this forum. I’ve been breaking out into hives I’m so worried about him, not to mention it’s finals week at my uni. I will be sure to call the vet in the morning. Just wanted to thank you for sharing it has eased my anxiety so so much. I’m so glad to hear your baby is feeling better, I just can’t wait for mine to get there. I’m glad he’s experiencing relief from his pain, but opioids seem excessive for this injury & possibly made his anxiety worse?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi romanianyuuko romanianyuuko , sorry to read that yor cat has been bitten by some animal outside.
Have you figured it out what kind of animal could it be? Another cat? Is your cat up-to-date with all vaccines? If you think the other animal was a cat, it would be wise, in a few months, to have a FIV/FeLV test done, just to be sure!
Yes, I do think that the Gabapentin was excessive, given my past experience, but maybe your Ajax was feeling so much pain?
Hopefully he will be much better in a day or so.

romanianyuuko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi romanianyuuko romanianyuuko , sorry to read that yor cat has been bitten by some animal outside.
Have you figured it out what kind of animal could it be? Another cat? Is your cat up-to-date with all vaccines? If you think the other animal was a cat, it would be wise, in a few months, to have a FIV/FeLV test done, just to be sure!
Yes, I do think that the Gabapentin was excessive, given my past experience, but maybe your Ajax was feeling so much pain?
Hopefully he will be much better in a day or so.
We have raccoons & other cats he’s gotten in big yowling fights with in our neighborhood, but I’ve never seen another cat cause such a big injury. He’s up to date on all of his vaccines so I think we’re fine on that front. Also I woke up this morning & he was finally sleeping! He’s been napping all day. Still acting a bit strange & seems like he’s still in pain walking around with his tail down, but at least he can sleep through it & recover! Thank you for your advice!

Bully Kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Bully has UTI went to the Vet on 3/7/22. Bully weights 15.03 yes he is a bigger cat around 6-7 years old. The Vet gave him shot of Simbadol Buprenorphine 1.8 mg/ml inject. Took Bully home he ate a little than hid under the bed ALL night long. Thought nothing of that because he didn't feel good. Next morning tried to get him and his eyes were so dilated that I couldn't see his eye color! He wouldn't respond to me. He was freaked out! I googled all the meds the night before but didn't Google simbadol Buprenorphine! I wish I knew now what I know now because I would never have let the Vet inject him with this! Today is the 3/11/22 Bully's eyes still dilated and he still jumpy! He is scared, still disoriented, hallucinating and barely drinking ( don't think he is drinking) he does eat. Bowel movements are barely but he does have UTI.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for you cat Bully Kat Bully Kat , I hope you can see some improvements, and I wonder if you could help him by having a vet flushing the drug out of his system, with an IV line and saline solution. This would also help his hydration since he's drinking much less.

Bully Kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry for you cat Bully Kat Bully Kat , I hope you can see some improvements, and I wonder if you could help him by having a vet flushing the drug out of his system, with an IV line and saline solution. This would also help his hydration since he's drinking much less.
Thanks I'll call his vet and see if recommend it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that you need to let the vet know and see if he can do anything. If there is any liver or kidney issue that Bully Kat has, it slows down the elimination of this class of drugs from their system.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry you're going through this, it's awful, I went through the same thing with my cat. :( I also second letting your vet know and ask if you can bring Bully in for if not an IV flush, then SQ fluids at the very least (at least once or a couple of times) until the drugs wear off. They did this for me to keep her at least hydrated while we waited for it to wear off. They may also want to put a big red warning on his file not to give that drug again in the future, they did that for me.

If Bully isn't eating, try offering literally any food (wet food especially for hydration, tuna, baby food, cooked meat, etc.) just to get him to eat. Wish you and Bully the best, I hope he recovers soon!

Bully Kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I told my Vet about the side effects and how I want noted in his chart not to give him Simbadol Buprenorphine. The Vet said well that is common and any pain meds they give will have the same side effects. This was 3/15/2022 the Vet said he doesn't have UTI or Crystals not sure if the antibiotics cured the UTI. The Vet did want to put him on Meloxicam at 0.9mls for three days and off for three days and on for three days. Got home and google Meloxicam for cats. I am currently looking for a new Vet! Bully is doing find without the drugs and using the bathroom just fine. He is eating and drinking back to normal. I am not a vet and I understand google is not a vet but I know my cat and when I feel something isn't right I am trust my gut. The FDA has put the warning on the box of Meloxicam and the vet did not give a box just a contain of liquid to give my cat but this what FDA put on the box of Meloxicam
WARNING
Repeated use of meloxicam in cats has been associated with acute renal failure and death. Do not administer additional injectable or oral meloxicam to cats. See Contraindications, Warnings, and Precautions for detailed information.

I guess I should clear something up on 3/7/2022 the Vet gave Bully Kat shot of Simbadol Buprenorphine and oral Meloxicam (which I had to give him for two days after 3/8 and 3/9) and he also gave him oral Betacillin that I had to give him till it was all on gone. For the record the Buprenorphine and/or the Meloxicam not sure what gave my cat the bad reaction that lasted till Friday night 3/11/2022.
I am now looking for a new Vet, I was new to area when Bully got sick this was only available Vet that could treat him. We are looking for Vet that I can trust and Bully will like.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even as a person, even when you know something is a side effect and may soon pass, the effects, like being dizzy when lying down, are frightening. I can well imagine how terrifying beyond dealing with some pain they might be for an animal.

Good decision on getting a new vet.

obsessedfelinelover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Currently going through this as well. Took my Cookie to the ER vet as a precaution because of some vomiting. Xrays were clear, just a tummyache but she got an injection of Simbadol. I have no idea why they gave her such a powerful painkiller instead of sending me home with oral Buprenex (which she tolerates well). We'll be at the 72 hour mark in 8 hours and she seems to be slowly coming out of it. Her symptoms:

Pacing for first 24 hours
Not sleeping for the first 40 hours, hasn't gone back to a normal sleep schedule yet.
Pupils dilated
Has an appetite, but only wants "junk" food- treats, food toppers/appetizers.
Haven't seen her drink water so I've been sneaking it into her food.

They told me she "might" be loopy for 24 hours. Cookie is a 12 year old tuxedo chonk, not sure how much that affects this outcome. None of my other cats have weight issues.

If I sit alone with her in a dark room she will sleep now but the pacing is still there on and off.
I am so glad I found this posting!! I have been so worried about my cat. He got a UTI and was started on Clavamox 6/24. He was acting fine within a few days and we gave him 7 days worth of it, then off for a few days and then started him back on 7/3 because symptoms were coming back on Sunday and then I left for out of town for a week on 7/4 for work. Well he gets stressed real easy which causes these UTI symptoms so my hubby took him back to vet on Tuesday for a check and more round of clavamox thinking it just wasn't clear that we should have did the full 10 days and not stop at 7 (we stopped b/c he is HORRIBLE w/ pills and he seemed completely over it, great urine stream too). So he was getting Clavamox twice a day Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri (I came home that evening) and on Sat he still wasn't acting any better. I thought for sure he would b/c normally he's fine within a few days it typically works fast. So Sunday morning I get up to feed and he goes right to the sink and pees and it's bloody so I scooped him up and took him to ER Vet I knew something wasn't right. ER Vet said that he has either stress induced cystitis or he has antibiotic resistant strain of infection and of course they couldn't get any urine out of it him test. So they gave him some cerenia for inflammation, SQ fluids, sent us home with Prazosin and gave him a shot of Buprenorphine SR, said it was a 72 hour pain relief. Said side effects would most likely be drowsiness. Nope! Complete opposite. We are now hour 48 after returning home and he hasn't slept at all, eyes still dilated, pacing back and forth, will sit and stare into nothingness, does not want to be held (not normal) and he refuses to rest in any of his sleeping beds or with his blankets. His eating is weird, seems to be constantly hungry but only wants to nibble at a time and keeps going consistently to treat jar. I have not seen him drink a bit of water nor pee. He has pooped twice and that's it. The whole reason I took him to ER Vet was so he could pee and not be in pain but he isn't even peeing. I did call my vet yesterday morning and he said unfortunately this does happen to some cats and said if I was real worried to bring him in Wednesday (tomorrow) for a flush if it hasn't worn off yet. He wants to see him on Thursday because they have got to get a urine out of him somehow to test (he's off Wed and he wants to personally see him and get the urine). His labs are completely normal, great values, so I know it's not happening due to liver or kidney issues. I'm just concerned at his lack of sleep what harm that may do - and the not peeing.

Oh - i've only been giving him wet food and adding water to it so he is getting some form of water/hydration.

Last edited by a moderator:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If your cat is not improving....I realize you only posted a couple of hours ago....you might consider bringing him in on Wednesday rather than waiting for Thursday. Please let us know what happens. We are not vets, but this definitely sounds like a reaction; the fact that he may not be peeing is very worrisome.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buprenorphine is known for these side effects.
My cat, and other cats I was told of, looked like stoned after their injection, and in my case it took about 48 hours to clear off. She would just stand in a sitting position, or lying in a meatoaf position, quite motionless, staring at nothing with her eyes completely dilated, with no interaction at all with us or the surrounding world.

I could presume that giving your cat some fluids might flush the drug out of his body.

Mango’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like many others, I’m glad I found this thread. Mango received Simbadol yesterday for some rear leg pain to help relax him for an X-ray. Ok. No big deal. At the vet he seemed ok, just big pupils. But like everyone else has mentioned, 32 hours later, hiding under the bed and jumping at every noise. He seems miserable. I’m so worried. Called the vet, they said might last 72 hours. I think this is ridiculous. There has to be a better choice of med. Plus, I think it’s relatively new, what did they use before. Anyway, I just want Mango to be ok and back to his normal self. Btw, the X-ray was fine.

emiliemeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is old, but what ended up happening obsessedfelinelover obsessedfelinelover ? My cat is doing the same right now and I’m worried!

I am so glad I found this posting!! I have been so worried about my cat. He got a UTI and was started on Clavamox 6/24. He was acting fine within a few days and we gave him 7 days worth of it, then off for a few days and then started him back on 7/3 because symptoms were coming back on Sunday and then I left for out of town for a week on 7/4 for work. Well he gets stressed real easy which causes these UTI symptoms so my hubby took him back to vet on Tuesday for a check and more round of clavamox thinking it just wasn't clear that we should have did the full 10 days and not stop at 7 (we stopped b/c he is HORRIBLE w/ pills and he seemed completely over it, great urine stream too). So he was getting Clavamox twice a day Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri (I came home that evening) and on Sat he still wasn't acting any better. I thought for sure he would b/c normally he's fine within a few days it typically works fast. So Sunday morning I get up to feed and he goes right to the sink and pees and it's bloody so I scooped him up and took him to ER Vet I knew something wasn't right. ER Vet said that he has either stress induced cystitis or he has antibiotic resistant strain of infection and of course they couldn't get any urine out of it him test. So they gave him some cerenia for inflammation, SQ fluids, sent us home with Prazosin and gave him a shot of Buprenorphine SR, said it was a 72 hour pain relief. Said side effects would most likely be drowsiness. Nope! Complete opposite. We are now hour 48 after returning home and he hasn't slept at all, eyes still dilated, pacing back and forth, will sit and stare into nothingness, does not want to be held (not normal) and he refuses to rest in any of his sleeping beds or with his blankets. His eating is weird, seems to be constantly hungry but only wants to nibble at a time and keeps going consistently to treat jar. I have not seen him drink a bit of water nor pee. He has pooped twice and that's it. The whole reason I took him to ER Vet was so he could pee and not be in pain but he isn't even peeing. I did call my vet yesterday morning and he said unfortunately this does happen to some cats and said if I was real worried to bring him in Wednesday (tomorrow) for a flush if it hasn't worn off yet. He wants to see him on Thursday because they have got to get a urine out of him somehow to test (he's off Wed and he wants to personally see him and get the urine). His labs are completely normal, great values, so I know it's not happening due to liver or kidney issues. I'm just concerned at his lack of sleep what harm that may do - and the not peeing.

Oh - i've only been giving him wet food and adding water to it so he is getting some form of water/hydration.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is old, but what ended up happening obsessedfelinelover obsessedfelinelover ? My cat is doing the same right now and I’m worried!
If you're worried, call the vet. Likely there's nothing to do but ride it out as every other cat on this thread has had to do. Your vet can tell you if these are expected side effects or something you should bring him/her back into the office for.