Simbadol (buprenorphine) Injection Bad Reaction

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems, after reading the Zoetis insert, that a special long acting, 24 hr formula has been created, named Simbadol.
This has had the after effects that you all have described.

The original formula of buprenorphine which can be given orally is NOT the same drug. So those that currently use it ORALLY for their kitties pain should not be alarmed.
I just thought that I would throw that info out
there....
Of course, hearing about adverse reactions of any drug is good to know. The prescribing veterinarian should report it to the FDA.

Thank you for listening to my public service anouncement...

:paperbag::paperbag::paperbag:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hang in there, Crazygirl, he will come out of it. I know it’s scary. Make sure at your next vet visit you have them clearly mark NO OPIOIDS in his file since he has a reaction to them.
It could be that particular formulation vs all opioids. My Krista has reacted to bupe-SR before and sometimes she hasn’t. But the oral and transdermal have been literally life-savers for her as there were times before or between dentals that she wouldn’t eat without them. I have a refillable prescription for the transdermal just so I can keep her comfortable until her next dental if it looks like one of her last few remaining teeth (or gums) start acting up again. You could say to put “no simbadol” in his file as the oral and transdermal forms may still be useful (non-reactive) to him.

Crazygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has been about 52 hours since the Simbadol injection and Dallas is finally returning to his normal state for the most part. I talked to the vet yesterday and they noted not to give him Opioids in his file but did mention this is their go to medicine for UTIs. There are a few cats that do have these negative reactions to this injection. As an owner we try to research what is given to our cats but I guess you just never know the reaction that might happen. Never-racking experience to say the least. Thankful I found this forum while going through this. Helped tremendously.

jillys kats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Louie received the injection 32 hours ago for a UTI and I am so glad I found this post. I came home from work and expected him to be fine. He is not. When I pet him he rubs everywhere and purs like crazy, but when I try to pick him up he is terrified. He is staring at the walls and even stood up like he was batting something. I turned off the tv so the shadows would not stimulate him. He walks to the water bowl and then moves his paw seeming to stable himself before lowering his head to the bowl. I was searching on the internet to see how long the effects lasted and was shocked to see 6 hours. Definitely calling the vet tomorrow.... we want no more of this... ever!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Louie received the injection 32 hours ago for a UTI and I am so glad I found this post. I came home from work and expected him to be fine. He is not. When I pet him he rubs everywhere and purs like crazy, but when I try to pick him up he is terrified. He is staring at the walls and even stood up like he was batting something. I turned off the tv so the shadows would not stimulate him. He walks to the water bowl and then moves his paw seeming to stable himself before lowering his head to the bowl. I was searching on the internet to see how long the effects lasted and was shocked to see 6 hours. Definitely calling the vet tomorrow.... we want no more of this... ever!
Talk with the vet about this. There is a shorter acting one that is only 6 hours. And there’s the sustained release shot which can last 72 hours. Depending on the procedure performed, the expected pain, and whether the guardian will be able to effectively keep to a medicine schedule, sometimes the sustained release is the best option. Cat gets stoned, maybe freaked out, restless, but it’s not in pain. And it wears off. The buccal (in the cheek) form given for home use only lasts six hours. Can you wake in the middle of the night and come home during the day to keep your cat comfortably on his medicine schedule? And is he pliable enough for you to administer the liquid medicine in his cheek and not done his throat? Maybe it was overkill in your situation. But sometimes it’s the easiest and best option to keep the cat comfortable (pain-wise) for three days.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
^yeah I was going to say, regular buprenorphine is generally a liquid formulation that can be absorbed through the gums and doesn’t last very long. It’s very easy to give to cats and helps a lot with urinary tract inflammation, so if anyone is hesitant after reading about reactions but their vet wants to prescribe bupe ask about the oral formulation. It has a short half life so if a cat doesn’t tolerate it well, it leaves the body quickly. Downside is you have to give it more frequently.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meant to share this earlier.

I asked that Krista get the shorter acting bupe after dental extractions because she was stoned, restless, and awake for 3 days when she got the SR the time before. I figured I'd pick up the medicine schedule where they left off at home.

We won't be skipping the SR again. I'd rather have a restless, insomniac weirdo for three days than have her angry and in pain.

jillys kats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Talk with the vet about this. There is a shorter acting one that is only 6 hours. And there’s the sustained release shot which can last 72 hours. Depending on the procedure performed, the expected pain, and whether the guardian will be able to effectively keep to a medicine schedule, sometimes the sustained release is the best option. Cat gets stoned, maybe freaked out, restless, but it’s not in pain. And it wears off. The buccal (in the cheek) form given for home use only lasts six hours. Can you wake in the middle of the night and come home during the day to keep your cat comfortably on his medicine schedule? And is he pliable enough for you to administer the liquid medicine in his cheek and not done his throat? Maybe it was overkill in your situation. But sometimes it’s the easiest and best option to keep the cat comfortable (pain-wise) for three days.
Thanks... I will call the vet this morning. He is doing a little better this morning but still wiggy! Louie has a UTI and this was a new vet at the practice. My regular vet has never prescribed anything for pain. Louie is stage 1 CKD and gets frequent UTI’s and thickened bladder walls, presumably from stress. Thing is he is such a chill cat... I have no idea what his stressor is. I am at the vet once every month for urinating inappropriately. Ideas??

jillys kats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks... I will call the vet this morning. He is doing a little better this morning but still wiggy! Louie has a UTI and this was a new vet at the practice. My regular vet has never prescribed anything for pain. Louie is stage 1 CKD and gets frequent UTI’s and thickened bladder walls, presumably from stress. Thing is he is such a chill cat... I have no idea what his stressor is. I am at the vet once every month for urinating inappropriately. Ideas??
I also wanted to mention that this vet put him on Dasuquin also. He said it is for joint pain, but can help with bladder inflammation also. Have you heard of this?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to mention that this vet put him on Dasuquin also. He said it is for joint pain, but can help with bladder inflammation also. Have you heard of this?
No idea. I have no experience with Ckd or UTIs. (Knock on wood.)

Leosmama03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My leo is going on 36 hours and he doesn’t wanna leave my room and the only time he’s normal is if it’s dark and he’s laying close to me on my bed. Other than that he hasn’t used the litter box, has barely drank any water, and is eating fine but he still has dilated pupils and won’t walk around or move. I see that everyone else has an energetic kitty on some occasions but my baby’s not moving at all. I’ve already had about 4 breakdowns since we got home yesterday😅 idk what I’m asking, I’m just worried about him and I’m a little relieved other kitties have felt what Leo’s feeling but to be honest Leo just had minor back leg pain, the vets should warn us about these side effects and that the drug is kinda serious.

Crazygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My leo is going on 36 hours and he doesn’t wanna leave my room and the only time he’s normal is if it’s dark and he’s laying close to me on my bed. Other than that he hasn’t used the litter box, has barely drank any water, and is eating fine but he still has dilated pupils and won’t walk around or move. I see that everyone else has an energetic kitty on some occasions but my baby’s not moving at all. I’ve already had about 4 breakdowns since we got home yesterday😅 idk what I’m asking, I’m just worried about him and I’m a little relieved other kitties have felt what Leo’s feeling but to be honest Leo just had minor back leg pain, the vets should warn us about these side effects and that the drug is kinda serious.
Hi, I was very upset also when the side effects kicked in. Did you call the vet and explain what was happening? If my cat wasn't bouncing off the walls he would sit like a breadbox and just stare. Within 3 days Dallas did return to his normal self. Everything I read from other postings said about 72 hours and they were right. Make sure that your vet notes this in Leo's file not to give opioids!!

jillys kats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Louie is now fine... took 72 hours. I called the vet and they had not heard of this reaction. Clearly it happens. He was never bouncing off the walls either. He hid under the bed and when he came out he acted like he was on a hallucinogenic drug. This was very frightening for us both.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my cat the effects lasted about 48 hours, she was like stoned, she didn't recognize the place and us, I was scared!
The course of therapy would have been of 4 injections, one each day.
Needless to say that one was more than enough!

Glad that Louie is fine now.

jillys kats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my cat the effects lasted about 48 hours, she was like stoned, she didn't recognize the place and us, I was scared!
The course of therapy would have been of 4 injections, one each day.
Needless to say that one was more than enough!

Glad that Louie is fine now.
Thank you... I was scared also! It was heartbreaking to see Louie like this.

Leosmama03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I was very upset also when the side effects kicked in. Did you call the vet and explain what was happening? If my cat wasn't bouncing off the walls he would sit like a breadbox and just stare. Within 3 days Dallas did return to his normal self. Everything I read from other postings said about 72 hours and they were right. Make sure that your vet notes this in Leo's file not to give opioids!!
I emailed her because they don’t take direct calls but they have yet to get back to me. 😤 my boyfriend added that leo didn’t necessarily need the shot because he started walking around the office fine I just wanted a check up to make sure nothing was broken, which there wasn’t any breaks. (It may be just overthinking) but they tried pushing a lot of stuff he didn’t need and they even said that he didn’t need it and they may have given it to him and not told us the side effects so we can take him back in (due to bad reaction) and rack up another $500 bill. Again it could just be us overthinking but our vet was more worried about the bill than Leo. We are planning to take him to a new vet though for second opinions before we start assuming😅

NLK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everyone who has experienced these adverse reactions needs to file a complaint with the FDA. Go to their website to do so or call to get information on complaint process. Also call the pharma company and complain. They are required to report these issues to the FDA too. The more complaints the more likely this drug is investigated or pulled.

My cat was given this post dental work and lived in a state of extreme fear for close to 24 hours, plus did not urninate for at least 36 hours. As I told the FDA and the Zoestis this medication is cruel and dangerous and needs to be taken off the market. No more cats should be subjected to the effects of this drug to alleveate minor to moderate pain.

Crazygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would 100% agree that this drug should be removed from ever being used on an animal!

Bubie's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our Chloe had the simbadol on Monday for uti and has been in a state since. I am grateful for the posts here, it has kept me from losing my mind! Just counting down until the drug wears off and my kitty returns to normal. All similar symptoms as posted here, restlessness, staring out the window, head rubbing, not sleeping or going potty. He is eating wet food, which I was told was hydrating but still concerned for his lack of interest in drinking water. Our didn't seem overly concerned about the side effects but I would never agreed to giving an opioid to my cat! Lesson learned.