Simbadol (buprenorphine) Injection Bad Reaction

Jack’s mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In case this happens to your cat: the cat did not seem in pain, he had a bruised leg. However, vet gave him this injection. The cat came home and sat upright and stared for hours then he was hyper active moving from one place to another looking out the window, sometimes rolling around on the floor as if on a hallucinagenic drug. He did NOT sleep for 68 hours. I know this sounds crazy (we stayed up with him around the clock as we were so worried about him). He did not defecate for 3 1/2 days. He ate pretty normally. He used the litter (urine) twice in 3 1/2 days. The vet didn’t offer feedback. Eyes were largely dilated the whole time. The cat came back to normal 68 hours after the injection (started sleeping, woke up a few hours later). This is a cat that usually sleeps six hours straight twice a day. He is 6 years old and healthy, perfect weight. Just FYI if this happens to your cat. We love this cat so much!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That was quite a reaction I am glad he came out of it. I think vets will often give something for pain with anything that is probably painful because cats are so good at hiding pain. Both of my cats have been on it for various things usually after having teeth pulled and they didn't have a bad reaction to it. A cat, just like humans, can have a bad reaction to any medication though. If a pain killer is needed again for your cat probably should try something else or a much lower than normal dose of this medication.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jack’s mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That was quite a reaction I am glad he came out of it. I think vets will often give something for pain with anything that is probably painful because cats are so good at hiding pain. Both of my cats have been on it for various things usually after having teeth pulled and they didn't have a bad reaction to it. A cat, just like humans, can have a bad reaction to any medication though. If a pain killer is needed again for your cat probably should try something else or a much lower than normal dose of this medication.
Thank you. I agree it must be unusual but in case anyone else looks for this scenerio, I wanted them to know what happened to my cat. Blessings to you and yours.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd personally like a little more help from the vet after the medicine caused that significant a reaction. Just saying.
Exactly. No one can see the future and tell if an animal (or person) is going to have a bad reaction to a drug, but the vet should be there to offer some help. This wasn't a "minor" reaction at all, I'd be finding a new vet asap.
I'm so glad your kitty is alright. That sounds very scary.

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is horrible. I am not sure how common it is. When Moo had his dental and extractions last year you described his three days after to the letter. He was euphoric. He was antsy and couldn't sit still or sleep. He rolled and flopped in the floor so much he started rubbing hair off his body on the carpet. I called the vet and they wouldn't tell me anything but 'bring him in.' It's a relief to hear he's not the only one that has suffered this reaction to that drug. Thank you for sharing this. Now I am sure it was the pain medicine and not the anesthesia. It's very scary indeed! I am glad to hear your cat is back to normal now.

Jack’s mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is horrible. I am not sure how common it is. When Moo had his dental and extractions last year you described his three days after to the letter. He was euphoric. He was antsy and couldn't sit still or sleep. He rolled and flopped in the floor so much he started rubbing hair off his body on the carpet. I called the vet and they wouldn't tell me anything but 'bring him in.' It's a relief to hear he's not the only one that has suffered this reaction to that drug. Thank you for sharing this. Now I am sure it was the pain medicine and not the anesthesia. It's very scary indeed! I am glad to hear your cat is back to normal now.
Thank you! I hope we can help others if they see this - I thought my cat would never be the same again. He is now the same, wonderful cat as before!

Persian Kitty Lover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In case this happens to your cat: the cat did not seem in pain, he had a bruised leg. However, vet gave him this injection. The cat came home and sat upright and stared for hours then he was hyper active moving from one place to another looking out the window, sometimes rolling around on the floor as if on a hallucinagenic drug. He did NOT sleep for 68 hours. I know this sounds crazy (we stayed up with him around the clock as we were so worried about him). He did not defecate for 3 1/2 days. He ate pretty normally. He used the litter (urine) twice in 3 1/2 days. The vet didn’t offer feedback. Eyes were largely dilated the whole time. The cat came back to normal 68 hours after the injection (started sleeping, woke up a few hours later). This is a cat that usually sleeps six hours straight twice a day. He is 6 years old and healthy, perfect weight. Just FYI if this happens to your cat. We love this cat so much!

Hi, my cat is going through this right now!! Thank you for posting this, we were totally in a panic thinking she had a seizure or a stroke. She is at the 36 hour mark. I hope she will be ok.

Jack’s mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat is going through this right now!! Thank you for posting this, we were totally in a panic thinking she had a seizure or a stroke. She is at the 36 hour mark. I hope she will be ok.
I am hoping your cat came out of it okay - let me know. My Jack is still fine...

Cpeterson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks you for posting. Our boy is going through this right now. He had this injection about 30 hours ago and is acting much the same way you described. He'll be "normal" then will sit staring at the wall, hides and acts scared when someone comes up the stairs (never before), eyes dilated, won't sleep, barely eats and acts like he's going to be jumped from behind. I thought it would have worn off by now. We've been through a lot with our cats and I've never seen a reaction to pain meds like this, and many have been given buprenorphine. Side note: He was also given Onsior injection and Cerenia. I think it's way too much on board.

Jack’s mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for finding these similar posts. I asked the vet who injected my cat for pain he probably did not have about it and she was so non-caring, saying humans have bad reactions and so do animals. He had previously had a reaction when he had the regular injections for feline leukemia, rabies and something else - all “well-visit” preventative meds - and he was basically out of it for 48 hours straight. At that point, He was newly adopted and four years old and healthy. Let me know if your cat comes out of it, etc.

Cpeterson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for finding these similar posts. I asked the vet who injected my cat for pain he probably did not have about it and she was so non-caring, saying humans have bad reactions and so do animals. He had previously had a reaction when he had the regular injections for feline leukemia, rabies and something else - all “well-visit” preventative meds - and he was basically out of it for 48 hours straight. At that point, He was newly adopted and four years old and healthy. Let me know if your cat comes out of it, etc.
It's been about 72 hours and he is finally mostly back to normal...phew. The fog lifted at about 60-65 hours. We were so worried. I seem to recall him also having a reaction to a vaccine - nothing allergic but he was out of it for the rest of the day. Thanks for checking up on him and posting your experience. It truly did give me peace of mind though this!

Jack’s mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been about 72 hours and he is finally mostly back to normal...phew. The fog lifted at about 60-65 hours. We were so worried. I seem to recall him also having a reaction to a vaccine - nothing allergic but he was out of it for the rest of the day. Thanks for checking up on him and posting your experience. It truly did give me peace of mind though this!
I am so happy your kitty is better. Thanks for letting us know.

Jack’s mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any luck finding a decent vet yet, @jack's mom?
It is hard since I have been to so many over the years. I am glad for this site. The vet I go to has about 5 vets so it can be a crapshoot. if I go to them on a desperately needed visit I can get her but if I have a well visit appointment I can avoid her shift. I live and learn. Best of everything to you!

Crazygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are dealing with this situation currently. I have a rescue, 1 year 10 months, was give simbadol yesterday morning and rolling around on the floor, pacing in circles, cannot sit for a second and large dilated eyes. He is still like now 24 hours later. It is helpful to see others have been through this. I am so upset.

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hang in there, Crazygirl, he will come out of it. I know it’s scary. Make sure at your next vet visit you have them clearly mark NO OPIOIDS in his file since he has a reaction to them.

Crazygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hang in there, Crazygirl, he will come out of it. I know it’s scary. Make sure at your next vet visit you have them clearly mark NO OPIOIDS in his file since he has a reaction to them.
Thank you. I will definitely do this.