Silver vine / catnip: how often is too often

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Juno only ever seemed mildly amused by catnip (unless she was literally ingesting it, which happened once when I turned my back), but she's digging the silver vine. I'm into it too, because it means she plays with whatever toy I rub it on--even the ones she exiled to the island of misfit toys-- so it makes me feel less bad about wasting money on a bunch of Etsy toys. And then she tires herself out without any physical exertion on my part 😜

So to my question: if all I'm doing is rubbing a pinch or two on a toy, how often is too often? Does it differ between catnip and silver vine? Thanks!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Juno only ever seemed mildly amused by catnip (unless she was literally ingesting it, which happened once when I turned my back), but she's digging the silver vine. I'm into it too, because it means she plays with whatever toy I rub it on--even the ones she exiled to the island of misfit toys-- so it makes me feel less bad about wasting money on a bunch of Etsy toys. And then she tires herself out without any physical exertion on my part 😜

So to my question: if all I'm doing is rubbing a pinch or two on a toy, how often is too often? Does it differ between catnip and silver vine? Thanks!
Well, I have never read or heard anything to the effect that either of these are harmful in any amount, so I would be generous and free with both. We have toys scattered all about the house; and every Caturday morning I spray catnip spray on upright scratchers and cat furniture throughout, and sprinkle dried catnip or catnip-and-silvervine blend on horizontal scratchers and some toys.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, it's too much when Juno gets bored with it and not before. If that happens, take off of it for a week or two and she should discover that it's not as boring as she thought.

Margret

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is a good question that I've also been researching, have wondered because my kitty always prefers to eat dried catnip rather than roll around in it.

Maybe if there's a scientist on this forum, they could help explain! I've been reading about differences of "phenol" which is in pine cleansers that can lead to a cat's death, and "phenolic acid" which exists in catnip. I wondered how the two compounds can sound similar but have such different effects on a cat.

The research shows they are different compounds and am still reading about it, some medical publications say catnip has antioxidant benefits. Haven't come across anything saying it's dangerous, beyond how eating too much has potential to cause nausea---and then what's considered too much is individual to each cat's weight and system. Luckily mine seems to know when to stop eating the catnip in a play session, in years he hasn't gotten sick from it yet.

This is enough to put my mind at ease :winkcat:

Some of the links for reference (if it helps)

Phenol vs Phenolic - What's the difference?
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.1068.9299&rep=rep1&type=pdf
Feline Fine: The Benefits of Catnip

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a good question that I've also been researching, have wondered because my kitty always prefers to eat dried catnip rather than roll around in it.

Maybe if there's a scientist on this forum, they could help explain! I've been reading about differences of "phenol" which is in pine cleansers that can lead to a cat's death, and "phenolic acid" which exists in catnip. I wondered how the two compounds can sound similar but have such different effects on a cat.

The research shows they are different compounds and am still reading about it, some medical publications say catnip has antioxidant benefits. Haven't come across anything saying it's dangerous, beyond how eating too much has potential to cause nausea---and then what's considered too much is individual to each cat's weight and system. Luckily mine seems to know when to stop eating the catnip in a play session, in years he hasn't gotten sick from it yet.

This is enough to put my mind at ease :winkcat:

Some of the links for reference (if it helps)

Phenol vs Phenolic - What's the difference?
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.1068.9299&rep=rep1&type=pdf
Feline Fine: The Benefits of Catnip
Thanking you bigtime, misterginja misterginja , for sharing these links and this important information. Words can often sound similar but mean very different things. After all, humans created them.