Silica Packets For Moisture Control

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a slightly weird question and wonder if anyone has input for me.

Background: I use the following for training treats for my cat:
Rabbit Bites Freeze-Dried Treats | Vital Essentials

I actually hate the "zipper-type" resealable packets that most treats like these seem to come in these days, as it always seems that --even though I try to seal these things properly-- I never fully close the packet along the zipper so that the bag is airtight once again. This leads to a decrease in the quality and freshness of the rabbit bites (although the bag never lasts more than a month or so in our house, with Milly around-- she loves these).

Now, I often cut the treats in half to make the whole bag last longer, and put them in a small lidded glass jar.

I was thinking of putting a small food-safe packet of moisture-control silica inside the little jar, to decrease any potential moisture from ruining the freshness of her freeze-dried treats.

The packet resembles these:
Pillow Paks | Desiccare, Inc.

My question is: Since the little Pillow Pak has the phrase "Contains a harmless adsorbent for humidity and odor control" on it, I am wondering if you think that this would ruin the scent or flavor of the freeze-dried Rabbit bites in any way? That is, will they still smell marvelous to Milly?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Those packets are in my Big Guy's absolute most favorite-est Bonito Flakes, and he didn't go for a different brand of tuna flakes that didn't have a packet, so from his perspective :blackcat: to Milly, I think you'll be ok :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, those little packets are in lots of our freeze-dried foods, too, and they don't seem to ruin the flavor of the food for the cats.

I have the same problem with those silly zip packs: I always seem to think I've fully zipped them. But haven't. I think tiny crumbs of food get into the zipper and prevent it from fully locking. We use Oxo containers (cheap at Home Goods!) to store a lot of our food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you lisahe lisahe and Furballsmom Furballsmom . You've eased my mind.
We all know how picky and finicky kitties can be! :rolleyes3:
I just didn't want to put the silica in and have the chance be high that she'd stop liking these rabbit bites & I'd waste money on them. It's hard enough finding things she loves in the first place.