Silent Meow ?

MishaLuv

*= Misha the Bengal =*
Kitten
Purraise
What are your thoughts on the silent meow ? Misha has been doing it quite a bit lately. I'm thinking it means she's super relaxed or bored and maybe wants to cuddle ?
:purr:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard that the Silent Meow is used when a cat wants something so badly, he or she can't even vocalize it. When Da-Pumpkin-Boy lived with us, he loved tuna. He dearly loved tuna. We couldn't even open the fridge door when he was around bc he'd be looking for his tuna. Always with a silent meow. He never vocally meowed for tuna, only went thru the motions. And it was only for tuna. Never any other time.

I don't know if there's any truth to that. Probably not.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Juno had a silent meow when she was younger (4-6 months or so). Pretty much always, except once when I knelt on her paw. She grew into her tiny squeaky meow later, but sometimes still does a silent meow, which I choose to interpret as Hello, I want attention, and I know you can see me right in front of you, so why do I need to vocalize.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I read on here that a silent meow is the highest form of adoration a cat shows. I think I saw it mentioned once before.

If the cat is new to you though maybe damaged vocal chords? Sopdet can't vocalize for that reason as a result of abuse when she was a kitten so she gives me the silent meow

Tropicalgreen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wonderful cat Tiger Lily who sadly passed away last June at great age of 16, she barely meowed. She made the open mouth as if she was going to meow but nothing ever came out. This is how she was with me.
The only times she meowed normally was if she was locked out of the room and wanted to get in or out.
So she was choosing when to use her voice.
I read once that a vet said that it could be an indication a cat has had a stroke.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat did not make a sound the first year of her life, only the silent meow. I asked the vet about it, and he said she just hadn’t found her voice yet. I remember reading that a kitten will meow out of range of human hearing, and eventually learn to bring it down to human level. She started making sound later, but it was several years before she really started to talk up a storm. Now I can’t get her to shut up. Lol