Signs, Omens and Superstitions...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just last week, I was at work and the palm of my hand was itchy, for no reason, and it would not stop. I mentioned it to one of my co-workers and she got all excited. She said that an itchy palm means you are going to come into some money. Sounds great....did not happen yet. She does not actually believe what she said but we had a laugh and talked about winning the lottery and what not...

So this got me thinking about other one's I know about...

If you kill a spider in the home it will rain.
If your nose gets itchy means you're going to kiss a fool.
It's bad luck...to open an umbrella indoors, if a black cat crosses your path, walk under a ladder....among many more...
7 years bad luck for breaking a mirror.
Wishing on shooting stars and birthday cake candles, but you can't tell anyone or your wish won't come true...

I really hope the itchy palm thing is real though....

So what signs, omens or "superstitions" did you grow up knowing about.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More spider superstitions and whatnots:
If a spider is found on your clothes, you will have a good day.
If a spider is found on your clothes, you will make money, especially if is a small spider. You cannot kill it.
Kill a spider and bad luck will come to you, especially money problems.
See a spider, expect a message.

Other stuff:
Owls bring messages from the dead.
Owls announce a death.
Sticking your chopsticks up in rice is a sign of death and bad luck,
If you get a knife as a gift, give the giver a penny to preserve your friendship.
If you whistle indoors, you are calling evil.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
An absolute ban in the family on opening an umbrellla indoors because if you do someone will die. My mother swore that as a kid she accidentally opened one indoors even though her mother told her not to and her sister died of pneumonia a week later.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Owls announce a death.
This one I grew up with. However, it was if you see an owl during the day, someone close to you will die. I think it's an old Indian superstition or something.

I personally don't believe in superstitions or omens. I think they were made up in the dark ages to explain what couldn't be explained at the time.
The only reason a black cat walking across your path would be bad luck is because he got under my feet and I tripped over him and broke something (most likely my neck).