Signs of Affection?

Kvla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I've posted many times about my cat. We've so far mostly nipped her nipping in the butt thanks to all the help I've recieved from you guys! Thank you so much!

Anyway, I was doing research on cats who don't cuddle and why they do it, how you can encourage the behavior if possible, etc. I ran into somebody who posted this link and I thought it would be interesting to see how many of these my cat does, and it comes down to a whopping 4 out of 25.

2. She approaches me for interaction. This is especially true when I'm feeding her. When I'm sitting on the ground she will come up to me and be near me. If I reach over to her she often tries to bite me.

10. "helping" you work or study: I live in a studio apartment near my college campus and I have my laptop out for homework a lot. She usually comes by and sits on my laptop or my notebooks. Sometimes she tries to bite the corner of my laptop. I will usually try to pet her because I knew this was a way they told you they liked you, but she doesn't want to be pet, so lately I've just been putting her back on the ground.

19. "Yawning and stretching when she sees you" She does this sometimes, mostly when she gets up from a nap, but most times she stays laying on my roommate's bed and doesn't come up to me.

22. and 23. Following you everywhere: This is kind of true, I live in a studio apartment and she will wait outside the bathroom for me, but in the room itself she usually stays on my roommates side.

Does this really mean my cat hates me? Is there a way to get her to like me more? Or be more affectionate in general? She will be super friendly and show more signs on that list when someone new comes in the house, but after about 15 minutes she'll treat them how she treats me.

TIA

KittyCat Angel

A lover of cats ❤
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah cats can be aloof and moody. They like us. Especially when it's time to eat ! 😽💕

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Biting isn’t always a sign that they don’t like you. My cat will often play with my hands and bite them and then to sit there with my hand in her mouth. If I try to pull my hand away she’ll stick her claws in and pull me towards her. She just kind of wants to sit with my hand in her mouth.
The point is don’t overthink your interactions. Most of what I read from your post sounds like your cat likes your company. Do a bit of reading on this site about that behaviour and try not to judge them by human behaviour.
I think you guys will be alright

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
have you tried hand feeding her ? Like put the food in your palm and let her eat from your hand, so she associates food = good = you = good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kvla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol I realized I never posted the link: 25 Signs That Your Cat Loves You

have you tried hand feeding her ? Like put the food in your palm and let her eat from your hand, so she associates food = good = you = good.
I don’t try to hand feed her her meals for a couple reasons: 1. Part of her meal is wet food lol 2. She usually doesn’t eat the whole meal in one sitting. Sometimes she’ll come up to me when Im feeding her but then won’t touch her bowls for a little bit and 3. Im a college student, so my schedule is really busy and if I don’t make it back in time for her dinner, I feel better knowing she has some food to feed off from the morning versus having to wait for me.
I also heard hand-feeding can potentially cause bad habits and should only be used when they aren’t eating as a way to get them to eat.

Yeah cats can be aloof and moody. They like us. Especially when it's time to eat ! 😽💕
Don’t get me wrong, I would die for my cat and love her so much. But after owning a cat I feel like I’m more of a dog person lol I love having that constant love and loyalty and my cat is so distant! It makes me sad sometimes

Biting isn’t always a sign that they don’t like you. My cat will often play with my hands and bite them and then to sit there with my hand in her mouth. If I try to pull my hand away she’ll stick her claws in and pull me towards her. She just kind of wants to sit with my hand in her mouth.
The point is don’t overthink your interactions. Most of what I read from your post sounds like your cat likes your company. Do a bit of reading on this site about that behaviour and try not to judge them by human behaviour.
I think you guys will be alright
Wow I never thought about it like that. Your kitty sounds like she has a cute habit. My cat bites to draw blood, so I’ve been trying to discourage any and all biting as it is. But thank you for the advice, I’ll look around

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
If I reach over to her she often tries to bite me.
There are cats who don't like to be approached in certain manners. Sometimes it can be as simple as reaching over their head that apparently must intimidate them and then they react defensively. Try different approaches in terms of how you go to pet her and see if she reacts defensively to some and not others. If so, stop the approaches that cause her to try and bite.
Sometimes she tries to bite the corner of my laptop. I will usually try to pet her because I knew this was a way they told you they liked you, but she doesn't want to be pet, so lately I've just been putting her back on the ground.
I realize you can't do it every time, but it sounds to me like she wants you to give her attention through play not petting, so try playing with her instead.

It doesn't seem to me that your cat doesn't like you - some of what you describe simply correlates to her personality, her mood at that particular moment, etc. However, here is a TCS article about getting a cat to like you, just in case there are some ideas you haven't tried yet.

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kvla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies! Would your answers change if my cat did more of these ways to show affection to my roommate? She cuddles with her at night and purrs with her