Status
Not open for further replies.

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten that acts totally different from the rest of the litter
He dosen't acknowledge most things and stares into space a lot
They are only a few weeks old still on milk still growing teeth and just now walking around our living room occasionally.

When I take them out to walk around around the living room
He immediately walks away from his sisters and the momma cat
To sit alone and stare into space as always its odd I wave my finger in front of his face he still stares into space as if I wasent even there
I wave a kitty toy in front of his face same thing
His sisters on the other hand acknowledge but he prefers
To sit alone daily and stare into space
He had s seizure once before but he acted like this way before that

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can that kitten in the picture open its other eye, or is it staying closed? He/she may need to see a vet for eye ointment or other antibiotics. I'm not sure about the staring into space thing. Maybe @catwoman707 would know more about that.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Could he be blind?  That is what I suspect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He can open the other eye although I think in that eye he's cross eyed a bit because his eye opens half way and his eye goes to the corner a bit I don't think he's blind judging by the way he walks around the house when he does walk that is and he has a habit of grabbing my finger with his paw and licking it

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bless his little heart! Can you take him to the vet? That would be ideal. Then you could get a diagnosis.

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's often times WAY harder than you think to diagnose a blind puppy or kitten.  Lots of times something may seem "off" about them, but they're still able to get around pretty well.  They're all born without sight, and if the sight never comes in they will rely more heavily on their other senses to learn, explore, and get around their world.  I would bring this kitten to a vet experienced with dealing with kittens and have them evaluate his vision as well as address any other health issues that may be at hand.

I know a dog breeder that sent two puppies to live with a lady in another state.  Both puppies seemed perfectly fine and had been checked by the vet before they left, but one of them was a more low key, less active puppy.  The first real sign that anything was wrong with that puppy was when they opened the dogs' carriers to let them out after the trip.  One puppy was fine, and in her excitement at her new found freedom the other puppy came charging out of the carrier and ran straight into a wall.  This was when the puppy was about 10 weeks old I would guess, and shortly after they found out that there was some sort of head issue that caused the blindness, so they did opt to euthanize her.  Vet said that she had almost certainly been blind from birth and had been compensating using her other senses.  It was sort of a freak thing, and the terribly upset breeder refunded the lady's money and expenses.  Not trying to scare you by the ultimate outcome of that situation, but just pointing out that it can be way more difficult than you think to identify a blind kitten.  She got around just fine and played with her littermates, but the blindness didn't really show until she was really excited and in an unfamiliar environment.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, the vet can check the other eye for infection. The one that isn't opened. That's not normal. It needs to be checked.

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Him and his sister does that they both get this crust over their eyes that looks like the stuff you
Get in the corner in your eyes after you been asleep .. after I clean their eyes this light green goo comes out
And after I get the goo out and the crust off they can see well at least until their eyes does this again.. it happens everyday
I cean their eyes constantly althrought the day I find it odd only 2 of them is doing this and the other kittens eyes are perfectly fine

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
The two kittens need to be seen by a vet. The crusting and green goop is sign of an infection. Left untreated, it can get really bad and can lead to a more serious issue including blindness.

Best to get them in now and treat a simple bacterial infection (likely with just Terramycin) than to let it go and have a bigger issue at hand.

While you're there, explain the other concerns about the boy you have and discuss possible causes with the vet.

I agree, that he may very well be blind.

I'll be curious to hear what your vet says.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi! Yes, they both have eye infections that won't go away until treated. Like pink eye in a person. The others may get it because it is contagious & they will likely spread it as they play and sleep together. Hope you can get them to the vet. Please let us know how it's going. It's good you are wiping their eyes with a warm cloth. Keep up the good work!

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For now I'm using procside on their eyes temporarily until I can get them into a vet

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Warm cloth is no longer working the pro side seems to not be hurting them and keeps their eyes clear longer

mkat02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a blind cat  and he acts in much the same way. When he sits there and looks right at you it can seem unnerving. When he first started doing odd things and running into stuff. I kinda thought his was losing his mind from old age. I waited to have him seen because I was afraid the vet would want to put him down. Then one day I was giving him so shrimp as a treat . I keep watching him smell around the shrimp and just let the others take them. ( he is the only cat I give shrimp to. Because he is old shy and never trys to steal them as I peal them) I kinda hit me like a truck. He can't see . The vet said he was blind the next day. No cause could be found out side old age. Of course the vet still said we should think about putting him down. He has a great life even goes outside with me a few minutes a day. he just doesn't go more than a few feet away and we don't move things around the house if we can help it. 

No one believes me when they met him and I tell them he is blind. 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
@Callie37, do you mean you are using Hydrogen Peroxide on their eyes??? If so, please stop this immediately! Peroxide should never be used on, near or in the eyes.

You need to rinse their eyes off thoroughly ASAP.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was about to say the same thing! No peroxide! It is dangerous to their eyes! Just use the warm, damp rag please until you can get some antibiotic ointment. If you can't afford the vet, please call a shelter for cats & explain your situation & see if they can offer you a tube of ointment. Let us know what happens as soon as you can! Thanks!

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are using Peroxide, please stop as others said it dangerous and harm their eyes if not i sorry for the misunderstanding and what are you actually using?

callie37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens have died now there must have been something else wrong we could not see I say this because the only one without the eye infection died there is only one healthy and alive so far .. we are trying to keep it that way
The kitten in the photo above has passed away just a few minutes ago and so has his sister...

There is one left now

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry to hear this. That is sad. Maybe you can get the remaining kitten to the vet, and please do not put any more peroxide in its eyes. That may have contributed to the death of the other two. Is the remaining kitten nursing well? Do you know when they were born?

Status
Not open for further replies.