Sign petition to stop NJ cat hunt please!

megans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG. that's horrendous!! I'm embarrassed to live here!!

We should be catching and fixing these cats...not killing them!!

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
signed

They really aren't thinking to well about this. You know that you reduce the population by S/N much much better (and much kinder) than shooting the cats

megans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm also concerned that they are going to wind up shooting peoples' pets. This just has disaster written all over it.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Signed!
I included a nice little rant, but that did not make it to the page, oh well.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How 'bout a petition asking these legislators when they will be ready to give up their green, insect-/weed-free, pesticide laden-lawns, cell phones and/or TVs enabled by power lines that destroy up to 60 million birds a year ?

Seems to me, it is man that has thrown nature out of balance, and now to fix it so we can have a clear conscience using our modern day, high tech conveniences, they say, eradicate the cats - too many of them, they kill birds. Well, if we added up all the wildlife killed by human engineered technical advances and insatiable need to ravage the environment, who would the number one killer be?

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by elayman

How 'bout a petition asking these legislators when they will be ready to give up their green, insect-/weed-free, pesticide laden-lawns, cell phones and/or TVs enabled by power lines that destroy up to 60 million birds a year ?

Seems to me, it is man that has thrown nature out of balance, and now to fix it so we can have a clear conscience using our modern day, high tech conveniences, they say, eradicate the cats - too many of them, they kill birds. Well, if we added up all the wildlife killed by human engineered technical advances and insatiable need to ravage the environment, who would the number one killer be?
Mankind always screws things up.
Kill the big cats, and the wolves, now deer are overpoulated, no problem kill the deer!
Introduce a new animal! There is the ticket to win. I think of Hawaii, they brought in mongooses (mongeese?) to kill rats. Well, they dont hunt rats, but they have decimated the native bird population.
A bit of a rant, but jeeze, nature knows what to do, why can't humans acept that?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

I think of Hawaii, they brought in mongooses (mongeese?) to kill rats. Well, they dont hunt rats, but they have decimated the native bird population.
I know this is off topic, but the Mongoose does eat rodents including rats. The problem is that Mongoose hunt and forgage during the day and rats are mostly active at night when the Mongoose is sleeping.
Those folks didn't think about that before they imported the Mongoose to Hawaii.
They also didn't consider that the Mongoose will eat just about anything they can kill.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Mankind always screws things up.
Kill the big cats, and the wolves, now deer are overpoulated, no problem kill the deer!
There is no simple answer for sure. If I shared a living space with bobcats, mountain lions, fox, coyotes and/or feral dogs and didn't believe shooting was the answer, I would definitely be concerned about them preying on outdoor cats as well as any feed I left out for the ferals being an attractant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well we keep our cats indoors for a reason. If there were predators about, it'd just be another reason for me to want to keep them inside.

Re: feral cats, fortunately in New Jersey, the biggest problem with cat food and TNR is attracting skunks, raccoons and bears. Elevated feeding stations with skirts (meaning they're raccoon-proof) and picking up food at night eliminates the problem.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by elayman

There is no simple answer for sure. If I shared a living space with bobcats, mountain lions, fox, coyotes and/or feral dogs and didn't believe shooting was the answer, I would definitely be concerned about them preying on outdoor cats as well as any feed I left out for the ferals being an attractant.
Keep the cats inside!
I did live in a rural area in the woods, I heard the cry of the coyotes, quite lound you little pups, the shrill sound of wild turkeys, they make quite a racket in the trees roosting, deer everywhere, racoons, possumn, ducks, geese, lots of muskrats, and once a cougar. It tracked me! My footsteps in the snow followed by big paw prints. That will make going outside for a smoke that much more intresting! Unfortunaly someone shot it.
I have lost track of where I was going with this,
carry on with the thread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

One last thought for elayman... No, there is no simple answer. But banning TNR by reclassifying cats as exotic animals is not it.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laurie, THANK YOU for taking this to the next level! That's why I contacted you about this travesty in the first place. I sent my letter with recommendations on what to do about their feral cat problem directly via mail.

Some years back, I read an article about a small island somewhere in Europe, can't remember where now, where they had a huge feral cat problem. Many "options" were discussed about how to handle it, but a rescue group from Greece became victorious when the community voted to TNR. It was a large undertaking, and vets came from all over to volunteer their time. All the cats were neutered and then years later, the island folk had to recruit more cats that weren't because the rodent population had exploded. The few cats left couldn't keep up with the population- so they recruited cats from the mainland. It's a vicious cycle that PEOPLE have created. It is not the cats fault that the owners haven't been responsible cat caregivers- yet the cats become the blame.

Let's hope that all this letter-writing and petition signing will make a difference for the cats on death row now.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

One last thought for elayman... No, there is no simple answer. But banning TNR by reclassifying cats as exotic animals is not it.
Oh, I couldn't agree more that TNR is vital, especially when coupled with vaccination for rabies and distemper. It eliminates a source of food for mostly carnivorous coyotes and all other top-of-the-foodchain predators. If these super predators can then be reduced through whatever means (poisoning, shooting and trapping....) red foxes, skunks AND managed feral cat colonies can more easily move in. Feral cats are a reality (for now) and from everything I've read culling, relocating or doing nothing is not nearly as effective as dedicated management, not to mention EXTREMELY INHUMANE.
. Although in cases where there is no other choice, relocation may be a viable option.

"In areas with coyotes, the cats stand a better chance if they have access to a shed or similar structure with several small openings that they can run in for safety. You may also consider building a fenced area for the cats."

http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=334

I think this all started because the coyote population is increasing steadily in the Midwest (where I live) and also across the country moving scarily closer to suburban edges and cities. Depending on prey availability, they take up residence scouring the neighborhood in search of food. I've personally known several well-meaning but uneducated owners who have "allowed" their cats (even declawed) to get out only to meet such an end. It's that combination of ignorance, heartlessness and cruelty that makes me so sick.

Sorry if a previous post was taken the wrong way or for any other misunderstandings.