Sigmund has some Pee problems

smoore719

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. Please help I am out of options. My 3 year old male cat Sigmund (siggy) has completely stopped peeing in his litterbox. He is fixed and has never had this problem until about 2 months ago. We had recently moved in with my fiance who does have a dog about 3 months before this began. He was fine for those 3 months and has cohabitated with the dog very well. I took him to the vet who did say he has crystals in his urine and that we should begin medicated food (hills prescription urinary care) which we begin a bit over a month ago. It hasn't helped at all and he is still refusing to pee in his litterbox. He does still use them to poop, but he pees anywhere he feels like it. He has three uncovered litterboxes, one on each level of the house. I have tried different all different litters and am currently using a "cat attract" litter and it hasn't helped. I have also started using feliaway plug in stress relievers in cast he was doing it out of anxiety. He doesn't act like he is stressed out at all. He cuddles and plays and eats and drinks regularly. He isn't peeing in one specific spot either its all over our basement, on our clothes, on our bed it really doesn't matter. I don't know if this is still a problem with the medical issue he has or if it is behavioral at this point. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. I am so very frustrated because I truly have never met a better, more sweet boy in my life and I love him so much. I just don't know what to do.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Assuming the problem with crystals is solved, he could have some memories of the pain, or it could just be that a new habit has been formed. So I'd recommend a "boot camp" approach. Make a comfy nest in a bathroom, food/water in one corner and litter in another. The idea is that being in real proximity to the litter for a day or two might re-form the habit. If your lucky at least -- evidence this can work is thin, but its worth a try. I tried it with a cat having problems years ago, and maybe it helped, but it didn't solve the issue so I dunno.

Use an enzyme cleaner on the spots, and when he gets out of "boot camp" try to eliminate access to past problem sites to the extent you can, such as excluding from the bedroom, which might help break the bad habits. Once the proper habit is reformed, you can re-allow access to the bedroom.

And since your not sure if there are lingering medical issues, a follow-up vet visit would be good. If he is still in pain while peeing, probably nothing you'll try will work.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! Poor Sigmund probably had very painful urine, getting those crystals out and is associating litter boxes with pain upon peeing. Have you tried placing puppy pads and old towels out for him? And is all the litter unscented? Also, is he able to be in a dogfree area whenever he wants? Crystals are sometimes aggravated by stress. I would ask the vet for another urinalysis. Some cats (and humans) respond well to the probiotic S. boulardi (brand name is Florastor) in easing bladder problems. I use marshmallow root decoction (like a tea but simmered, not steeped) to soothe bladder and lung irritation in both cats & humans - you can consult a holistic vet on using that. Also, avoid fish and seafood -

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smoore719

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! Poor Sigmund probably had very painful urine, getting those crystals out and is associating litter boxes with pain upon peeing. Have you tried placing puppy pads and old towels out for him? And is all the litter unscented? Also, is he able to be in a dogfree area whenever he wants? Crystals are sometimes aggravated by stress. I would ask the vet for another urinalysis. Some cats (and humans) respond well to the probiotic S. boulardi (brand name is Florastor) in easing bladder problems. I use marshmallow root decoction (like a tea but simmered, not steeped) to soothe bladder and lung irritation in both cats & humans - you can consult a holistic vet on using that. Also, avoid fish and seafood -
thank you for your input! our basement is where he is peeing the most and it has a kitty door so he can go down there and the dog can't. I did put puppy pads down there but he seems to want to pee on the floor away from them. The litter is unscented. I will try out some holistic methods, thank you very much!