Side of cat's face is swollen

meg trema

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neighbour had an old cat with absess and she managed to drain it herself, i wonder if you can try and drain it with someone comforting her. Maybe use a clean needle like the kind they sell for diabetics called lancettes. Or if there is a video on how to drain an absess.
If all fails, try dabbing Iodine on it, since this will at least disinfect the area and dry it out.
Good luck!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really not recommend cleaning it yourself.
VERY good advice !
 i wonder if you can try and drain it with someone comforting her. Maybe use a clean needle like the kind they sell for diabetics called lancettes. Or if there is a video on how to drain an absess.
If all fails, try dabbing Iodine on it, since this will at least disinfect the area and dry it out.

NOT such good advice.....fine for a Vet.....not for you or me. (IF you have had an abscess drained.....you'll know ALL about the "why not"!) - (and, you'll also understand ALL about the LOCAL ANESTHETIC part)

A needle won't do it...the resulting opening won't be large enough, extra pressure would be needed and, that may well spread the infection beyond where it's presently confined....very dangerous, considering its current location. And, iodine??? NEVER use iodine on any open/broken skin - it will do damage to the skin cells, retarding healing and causing further damage (in humans and animals) - that can be Googled.

MissMitzi.....it looks like you're in California. Try Googling this: "spca hospitals in california"

Many SPCAs have part/full service hospitals and many have no/low cost fee schedules.

I think I'd also be contacting local rescue groups - these organizations have been known to lend 'helping hands'....most have veterinary care contacts, some have volunteers who are veterinary technicians.

I'll also send you a message.

Hoping something there helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmitzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE-

Gremlin's abscess popped, he's bleeding and I called the vet to see if there's anything they can do...currently waiting..hope something can be done soon.

On the bright side , he's acting fine and his left eye is opening up a little more, he was trying to eat prior to this so here is hoping all goes well from here.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Since it ruptured, he'll need the area irrigated and thoroughly cleaned. Vet may or may not want to put in a drainage tube, just depends on the severity of the infection.

If Gremlin isn't on an antibiotic yet, he will very likely need one.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I could not understand why the Vet didn't start antibiotics [emoji]128558[/emoji]in the frist place or give the option of local freezing in order to bring the price down[emoji]128533[/emoji] as shown in the video meg terma sent link to ( clearly a vet [emoji]128567[/emoji]setting scalpel and all)
Irrigation might be best ,but antibiotics are a must!!!!!!

missmitzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since it ruptured, he'll need the area irrigated and thoroughly cleaned. Vet may or may not want to put in a drainage tube, just depends on the severity of the infection.

If Gremlin isn't on an antibiotic yet, he will very likely need one.
Yeah, they said they were gonna put a drain on him and give antibiotics :/

missmitzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update !

Vet called, said gremlin's about to go into surgery and they offered to neuter him for free as well...I said yes. I feel really bad for him, I heard cats change after that and it hurts them too :(

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
That's great of the vet! Neutering won't change him and won't hurt!
Totally agree! Males bounce back very quickly from a neuter. If anything, it will make him a much happier and content Kitty. No more raging hormones which means he will be much less likely to get into fights! (Also keeps him from procreating and making more kittens!)

If he hasn't been tested for FIV/Leukemia now would be a good time to do that as well.

He will be good as new before you know it!

missmitzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update-

Gremlin is back home. Everything is fine, he has a drain and stitches and is freshly neutered! though I am concerned about one thing. He never liked using litter boxes and i have to keep him indoors so I bought him a litter box with pine litter as suggested by a pet smart employee...but of course he doesn't like it he's scared of the litter box and the litter and he's trying to go outside but I think it is cause he wants to use the bathroom...what could I do?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try putting some dirt in a litter box for him. Or sand. Something that feels more like he's used to.

Last edited:

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When he asks at the door put him gentaly in the box if he does have an accident put the poo or paper towel with pee on it in the litter box hopefully he will get the hint ; try not to leave important papers or piles of clothing on floor this is sometimes where the untrained will go smal space like a bathroom over night might help

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In response to your message, it dirt or sand shouldn't cause an infection because he shouldn't be putting his suture in it.  Ideally he'll just feel it under his toes and that will feel more normal to him.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I've never had the issue with the litter box you are (even with our strays/ferals); however, if I were, I'd likely give this litter a try:

https://www.chewy.com/dr-elseys-precious-cat-touch/dp/102654

I've seen it at both Petco and Petsmart, but, it's cheaper on Chewy.

I will say that my cats are particular about their litter and will only use clay litter. The will urinate outside the box if I use anything else.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey how is Gremlin feeling! My eight month old was just neutered he slept all day but is back to his own self, takes a while for the hormone drop to clam them down the do change a bit but for the better. My husband always feels bad for them[emoji]128549[/emoji].