Side effects to Buprenorphine post op

nixon18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had her hind leg amputated a week ago. She has been on Buprenorphine. The last 5 nights she has been waking up several times a night crying out, the high pitch sound cats make when they fight, then she thrashes around, sometimes moans a little and then she's done. The vet has never heard of this before. She put a Fentanyl patch on her yesterday hoping these behaviors do not continue. Has anyone ever experienced this or know of anyone who has? It's been really hard to watch. She is doing really well otherwise.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think she is waking up because she is pain before she falls back asleep. The Fentanyl is powerful and should help her. How old is she?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People with amputations often have phantom pain which seems to come from the missing part. I'm not an expert, but perhaps that's what your kitty is having.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She isn’t an old cat but not a youngster either so I am sure recovery is taking longer. May I ask what happened with her leg?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nixon18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got her on Gabapentin which has helped with the major episodes she was having at night. So I think it is phantom leg pain as well as just frustration with the cone and being kept in one room for the last 10 days.
She had a rabies vaccine related sarcoma, VERY frustrating that any cat should have to go through this because of that!!! This is from a vaccine given 5 1/2 years ago. Terrible!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. I did have one cat who had a tumor like thing from her rabies shot but fortunately it went away.