Side effects of first vaccinations

lilina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I am a newbie kitten owner and I have just come from the vets with my little 10.5 week old. He has just had his first vaccinations and a microchip - he seemed to actually like the vet (although not the carrier box).

I know that vaccinations can sometimes have side effects (in both humans and animals) and I thought it might be wise to make sure that I know what they are instead of getting too worried (in case the kitten starts to act weirdly).

The vaccinations he had today are Nobivac Tricat Trio (Rhinotracheitis, Calcivirus, Panleukopaenia) and Nobivac FeLV (Feline Leukaemia).

Has anyone ever encountered any side effects with these and if yes, what to do if there are any side effects? At what point do the side effects become major - when should I contact a vet?

Thank you very much,

Lina

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some loss of energy and sleeping more is pretty common.  It shouldn't last longer than the rest of the day that the shot was given.  I had a kitty that had an allergic reaction to a vaccination and that was very obvious.  Shortly after I got him home he vomited several times.  I took him back to the vet.  By the time I got him there he was red around his eyes and had a fever.  Usually a bad reaction happens quickly and is pretty dramatic.

We have had a few kitties here with a delayed reaction.  That was also vomiting and loss of appetite but not as dramatic as the quicker reaction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, thank you for the info!

My little one has slept a lot since coming home from vets, but he has been eating and drinking and even playing (although it's like slow-mode at the moment). He seems happy(purring), but tired. No signs of vomiting/feeling sick or redness, so I think it's all good, but I will keep monitoring him just in case.

alexandrawild

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last year on 24th April my 8 year old cat had her annual boosters ( tricat/leuco) She was fine until about 10 days later, when suddenly she stopped eating, was listless and lost quite a lot of weight. I took her back to the vets where she had extensive tests and tooth extractions but nothing showed up abnormally. After about 4 months and a great deal of worry on my part and TLC, her appetite gradually returned. As none of this showed up immediately following her booster, I had not connected it at all - until this year when as a healthy 9 year old cat she had her booster - and again - to the exact date, she started the same symptoms - so now i can see a direct connection to the booster and this delayed reaction. It is devastating to see my adorable kitty going through such a dreadful experience. Of course I will not be taking her to the vets for tests etc, but neither will I ever be taking her back for a booster - I just hope she will recover from this. Has anyone else ever experienced this delayed reaction?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guys have not had anything serious from vaccinations. Hopefully they never will. Normally they are a bit sleepy, and off their food a bit, for 24 to 48 hours. Then back to normal behavior. Hopefully your guy will not have any issues. But i would say if the cat is not back to normal within 48 hours i will see the vet.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep an eye on the spot where the vaccinations were injected for any lumps. I had a cat develop a cancerous tumor from a Feline Leukemia vaccination. It cost $5000 to surgically remove it and he was lucky to survive the procedure.

I don't give leukemia vaccinations anymore unless the cat is going outside. The three-way one is a core vaccine that every kitten should get, but other than that, don't feel like you have to get a vaccine just because your vet recommended it. Do some research and assess your circumstance to make sure it's necessary.