'Side Effects' from Jarrow B-Right or Now Taurine Powder?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've ordered both for Feeby, and probably will first start her on the B-complex and later the taurine. But, I was wondering if there were any 'side effects' (stomach upset, bloating, diarrhea, etc.) when any of you added either of these to your cat's diet.

Thanks!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Funny you should ask. I have just started to use the NOW formula for Kate, who is 13. I used it several years ago for an outdoor feral who was elderly, unmanageable, and was subsisting on baby food until I finally realized that she had gone as far as she could. In neither case did I see any side effects at all. Kate is absolutely her normal self.

How much are you using per day or meal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The H-T forum suggested 5mg per day of the Jarrow B-Right (1/10th of a 50mg capsule). The taurine I am still trying to figure out - because they said to give about 250 mg twice a day - but when they refer to the tiny teaspoons they recommended I buy, it doesn't add up. They said one 'smidgen' a day for the Jarrow and two 'smidgens' a day for the taurine. In some of the teaspoons a 'smidgen' is 1/64 of a tsp. and others say a 'drop' is 1/64.

Tanya's crf web site when talking about Jarrow using the exact same tiny teaspoons I bought, says a drop is 1/64 and comes out to 1/10th of a 50mg capsule, but if they address taurine, I have yet to find it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
fionasmom fionasmom - you might find this article (embedded in Tanya's web site) to be of interest regarding taurine. Nothing to do with the proper amount, but just about taurine in general.
Taurine Deficiency in Cats | PetMD

Still have not found anything on recommended dosage, but will probably go back to the H-T and CKD forums and ask. However, I am tempted to hold off on the taurine until Feeby's has her upcoming vet visits.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve used the NOW Taurine in my cats’ food batches although not to single servings. They’ve never had any reaction to it. My understanding is that since taurine is water soluble, any excess is excreted in their urine. I think I read that on feline-nutrition.org.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’ve used the NOW Taurine in my cats’ food batches although not to single servings. They’ve never had any reaction to it. My understanding is that since taurine is water soluble, any excess is excreted in their urine. I think I read that on feline-nutrition.org.
I believe that excreting it only becomes a bigger issue with cats whose kidneys are compromised. That's based on what I remember reading on the felinecrf web site. It all begins to blur together after a while!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
fionasmom fionasmom - went back into the H-T web site. One of the members there, who does a homemade diet, gives her cats 200 mg of taurine daily. She said she did this dosage even on her worst 'heart/CKD' cat; the cardiologist was very happy with it and felt it elongated the life of that precious soul.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bumping up my own thread - and added more questions but am now focused on the Jarrow B-Complex. So....

I bought Jarrow B-Right for Feeby, who has H-T, appears to be heading into CKD and a possible heart issue that has yet to be diagnosed (vet visits upcoming, as I have lost my regular vet). I wanted to ask those of you who use this product some questions:
1.) how much do you give your cat daily?
2.) is niacin flush common in cats and how do you know if/when it has happened to your cat?
3.) are there any other 'side effects' that I should look for?
4.) any issues with the taste or smell?
5.) what measuring devise do you use?
6.) any reason not to start giving her this B-complex before the vet visits?
7.) anything else I should be aware of?

From what I understand based on the information on the felinecrf web site, the typical dosage is 1/10th of a capsule, which I guess is 50 mg in total. So, each dose is 5 mg. The measuring tool that was recommended is what I bought (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009X1P9S/?tag=thecatsite), and the 'drop' measurement is supposed to be the equivalent to 1/64 tsp. Does this all sound correct to you?

Thanks!