Sicky Kittens - Failure to Thrive

kdadkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

Let me say, thank you in advance for any help offered. We (my husband and I) run a small kitten rescue out of our home. We pay for all needs including vet bills for any bottle babies or kittens in need of emergent care such a surgeries or extreme medical cases, that other rescues in our area won't take.

Long story short, we have a litter of 5 that is baffling us. We've had our fair share of failure to thrive kittens, kittens that needed help well before they found us, and kittens that got improper care; and in a lot of cases, we can turn them around. I'm a vet tech, and am lucky enough that my veterinarian will see all of my kittens. That being said, this litter was found tied up in a garbage bag; upon intake they were all extremely thin, weak, and dehydrated. They were approximately 4 weeks old and refused KMR liquid. We feed them wet kitten food mixed with a small amount of KMR, they refuse it if it's too 'milky.'

It has been about 3 weeks and they have each only gained about 50 grams, up to this point there was never a loss in weight, but never a real gain like we see with our other kittens. They have been dewormed twice since intake with Strongid. They do not groom at all and need a lot of help keeping clean as they don't eat food, they suck at it like babies who are just figuring out food, they aren't active (only very occassional zoomies for about 5 steps), have chronic off and on diarrhea, and seem to constantly be eating. We are giving them Florastor probiotics as well. They literally always look like ticks, until the last couple of days. Now a couple of them are slacking off on eating, seeming a little more lethargic, and are overall more ADR than usual. They have had negative fecals, sent off a giardia panel yesterday (results TBD), and not anemic. I got some turkey baby food with a couple that are interested but the 'sickiest' are a no go on baby food too. They are now close to 6.5 weeks and my bottle babies that are at 4 weeks are surpassing them in weight and almost in development.

We did some subQ fluids to help rehydrate them and are keeping a watch, we have Clavamox on hand to treat a possible oncoming URI, is there anything that we are missing? We have no real history on them other than being found in a garbage bag. What else can we do to try and turn these kids around?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my goodness! Having been taken from their mom at such a young age it’s not surprising that they are not all weaning quickly. Poor babies!

It sounds like they need time and love since they clearly had a very poor start in life. How sad. Most kittens this young are still being cleaned by their moms and are very messy eaters. It does sound like you have a couple who are truly not feeling well. You’ll need to keep a close eye on them and syringe what you can into them.

At this young age they do need to eat frequently, so always being hungry is also not surprising. Most kittens are bottomless pits as they grow so quickly. Have you tried full fat goats milk? Which soft kitten wet food are you using?

It sounds like you are doing everything you can for them, and that they need to mature. As long as they continue to gain weight, however small amounts, that they have a chance.

I would spend as much time holding them and brushing them with a toothbrush as possible. They sound traumatized. Can you post pictures of them?

I will continue to think on this and perhaps others will have more suggestions. Thank you for the work you do with kittens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kdadkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my goodness! Having been taken from their mom at such a young age it’s not surprising that they are not all weaning quickly. Poor babies!

It sounds like they need time and love since they clearly had a very poor start in life. How sad. Most kittens this young are still being cleaned by their moms and are very messy eaters. It does sound like you have a couple who are truly not feeling well. You’ll need to keep a close eye on them and syringe what you can into them.

At this young age they do need to eat frequently, so always being hungry is also not surprising. Most kittens are bottomless pits as they grow so quickly.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can for them, and that they need to mature. As long as they continue to gain weight, however small amounts, that they have a chance.

I would spend as much time holding them and brushing them with a toothbrush as possible. They sound traumatized. Can you post pictures of them?

I will continue to think on this and perhaps others will have more suggestions. Thank you for the work you do with kittens!

Thank you! We spend as much time as we can with them; we've been bottle baby-ing for years so we have a lot of experience weaning and such, and I don't sleep often so we have a pretty round-the-clock feeding schedule which is why we take neonates. We have NEVER had a litter that literally doesn't groom at all by 7 weeks. They constantly have food caked to their faces which caused an eye infection in 2 of them; they, as a litter, just seem off if that makes sense! I'll try to get pictures of them all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kdadkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! We spend as much time as we can with them; we've been bottle baby-ing for years so we have a lot of experience weaning and such, and I don't sleep often so we have a pretty round-the-clock feeding schedule which is why we take neonates. We have NEVER had a litter that literally doesn't groom at all by 7 weeks. They constantly have food caked to their faces which caused an eye infection in 2 of them; they, as a litter, just seem off if that makes sense! I'll try to get pictures of them all!

We also are using Royal Canin kitten food, which usually works pretty well for our kittens but this litter just isn't growing!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they didn't get enough oxygen while tied up in the bag they may have suffered from hypoxia, which can lead to brain damage. That could explain their arrested development.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was wondering about the possible lack of oxygen as well. I’m hoping they are a little “off” simply because they got a poor start, and not because of brain damage. I think time will tell. They may end up being “special” kitties, but I’m reluctant to make that call yet.

It sounds like you are giving them plenty of quality food and care. Let’s hope they begin to catch up soon. I look forward to pictures!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Them being thin and emaciated already when found, hints they had difficulties already before they were dumped. Perhaps that is why they were dumped, when the ex owner lost his hope??

Anyway, you are a true rescuer, so rescue there shall be. :)

Goats milk, preferably raw goats milk, is always good to try. At least as a supplement. Raw goats milk isnt not remedy for everything, but sometimes it helps in unclear cases of disturbed digestion. And is good food by itself. So if you cant get raw goats milk, try with full fat goats milk, as mentioned earlier.

Give them some pedialyte as part of their drinking water. The glucose sugar in pedialyte will give them some extra calories for free. Also, as they do have occasionally diarrhea, it will help them with salts and electrolytes.

Do not use water from the taps, the city water. In the normal city water there are usually lots of chemicals.
Obviously it doesnt matter much with healthy kittens, but it may be problematic with fragile kittens.

Use water from a good well, or filtered water, or a good bottled water.

Can you get glucose sugar / dextrose proper? Its a great addition and help in many cases. Gives extra energhy and as mentioned, extra calories for free.
The problem is, this is difficult to find OTC in USA. Here in Sweden its aplenty in every food shop.
So rescuers in USA use white caro syrup or honey. This works too, but its a substitute for the real thing.
YOU being a half pro rescuer, would be wise to find a sure source of glucose sugar... Even if it takes you buy it online from abroads.

A nice source of extra warmth is IR-lamps. Such used for chickens are probably best, but such used for lizard terraries, or by rheumatic peoples, should be sufficient good too. You can surely borrow from a neighbour, you dont need to buy your own at once.
(I got aware of this, as we once had an amateur rescuer whom got a litter of 10 premature kittens. She had such IR heating lamp for chickens... And being vigorous, wise and taking help from our advices, she managed to raise all these 10 prematures)

K kdadkins

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps a drop or two of simethicone sometimes? If they have gasses and digesting disturbances, this may help some.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thyroid issues can cause stunted growth in kittens. We've have like 4 thyroid kittens this year and the "story" is always thr same. They eat they drink, they kinda seem OK but they don't develop and wind up still looking like 4 week olds at 7 weeks.

The first one I heard about they thought he was an add on to the litter. His litter mates were around 5 weeks he was aged at 2. Turns out he was actially 5 weeks as well but had thyroid issues. Started meds and he turned around QUICK.