Sickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A little while ago I took in mama cat and her kittens. I had mama and son spayed/ neutered almost immediately and needed to save up for the girls.

Now Adam has not been well. He's always meowing at me and while most of my cats do his meow is pitiful. He's skinny and his fur is poofy, even under the heating lamp, his third eyelid is covering most of his eyes. His right eye is weird in the light, it's like its lighting up, like when you shine a light in the dark and cat eyes light up.
I've given him metacam, Prednisone and feeding him Nutrigel plus by virbac to keep his strength up but he's not getting better nor worse.

I plan to call the vet tomorrow but due to my research on FIP I am worried. Meds not working, the eyes, losing weight....

Can someone give me some consolation or ideas on what it might be, what I can ask the vet to look for?

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A little while ago I took in mama cat and her kittens. I had mama and son spayed/ neutered almost immediately and needed to save up for the girls.

Now Adam has not been well. He's always meowing at me and while most of my cats do his meow is pitiful. He's skinny and his fur is poofy, even under the heating lamp, his third eyelid is covering most of his eyes. His right eye is weird in the light, it's like its lighting up, like when you shine a light in the dark and cat eyes light up.
I've given him metacam, Prednisone and feeding him Nutrigel plus by virbac to keep his strength up but he's not getting better nor worse.

I plan to call the vet tomorrow but due to my research on FIP I am worried. Meds not working, the eyes, losing weight....

Can someone give me some consolation or ideas on what it might be, what I can ask the vet to look for?
How old is Adam? My cat was 8 months when she had FIP, there are 4 different types of FIP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's from around July I think. In 2017 I lost my 6 month old kitten to fip, she had just been spayed, which was the trigger...
Adam was neutered in October and his eyes started watering and third eyelid around end October.

So the age fits🥺

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's from around July I think. In 2017 I lost my 6 month old kitten to fip, she had just been spayed, which was the trigger...
Adam was neutered in October and his eyes started watering and third eyelid around end October.

So the age fits🥺
There's FIP treatment now. My cat is an FIP survivor. I don't believe spaying and neutering is a trigger. It's a mutation of the feline coronavirus. I would see what the vet says. Is there black stuff coming from the eye?

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had 6 confirmed FIP cats, one was 9 years and his FIP was triggered by a dental(bad teeth is also a sign).
I have absorbed every research and info I could on FIP and stress is a big trigger with FIP, be it from a regular vet visit or in Amara's case her spay.
I don't really believe in the cure when it has still not been approved and I first hand experienced the greed and indifference that goes around in that world when I tried to save one of my cats. Plus I do not have the money to torture Adam with painful injections for 84 days and hope it works. And if it doesn't work, he has to go through it again....
This may sound like I am not willing to help my cats but quite the opposite. I would go to the end of the earth to help them, if it provided them with a realistic chance.

I merely expressed my fear because the medication Adam's getting don't seem to be helping and in my experience that is a bad thing. He does not have black stuff from his eyes. At first I thought it was an URI.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you are seeing the vet, you know, you can research SO much you start worrying about every possible option! Poor little Adam…please let us know what happens. When you say you “took them in” you mean out of the wild? Were they adopted? Have they been dewormed?

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have an appointment this afternoon. They basically put me on the spot to pay immediately because I have some outstanding bills(which I pay off regularly)...yay for capitalism...anyway....

I took in Adam, his mom and 2 sisters from a farm I had TNR'd. The son couldn't get homes for the kittens so they dumped them all on his elderly mother but she realised that was not a good idea and contacted me. I have since dewormed, deflead and spayed mom and neutered Adam.

I had instances where a kitten was really ill and as soon as I dewormed them, they got better. I'm just wondering...could this be the case for Adam?

Last edited:

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had 6 confirmed FIP cats, one was 9 years and his FIP was triggered by a dental(bad teeth is also a sign).
I have absorbed every research and info I could on FIP and stress is a big trigger with FIP, be it from a regular vet visit or in Amara's case her spay.
I don't really believe in the cure when it has still not been approved and I first hand experienced the greed and indifference that goes around in that world when I tried to save one of my cats. Plus I do not have the money to torture Adam with painful injections for 84 days and hope it works. And if it doesn't work, he has to go through it again....
This may sound like I am not willing to help my cats but quite the opposite. I would go to the end of the earth to help them, if it provided them with a realistic chance.

I merely expressed my fear because the medication Adam's getting don't seem to be helping and in my experience that is a bad thing. He does not have black stuff from his eyes. At first I thought it was an URI.
There are pills.

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Plus I do not have the money to torture Adam with painful injections for 84 days and hope it works. And if it doesn't work, he has to go through it again....
Injections do not have to be painful. I give my cat two injections a day, and he is 100% indifferent to them.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My experiences with the so-called cure are horrible and it's not certain it is FIP.

I talked to a different vet because my vet's remark did not sit well with me and they gave some advice to try. I hope this works

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sadly it was FIP...I had a hunch, I've dealt with it so many times and I just didn't want to believe it. Adam has joined the rainbow today....

I comfort myself in knowing I gave him 3 months of comfort and love but it never stops hurting.... whether you have a cat for 10 years or just 3 months..they nestle in your heart...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry that you have lost Adam. It is absolutely true that you gave him what many cats never have, which is love and safety, and I hope that brings you some comfort.

When a cat passes, we close the thread out of respect. You are welcome to post a tribute to Adam in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Crossing the Bridge

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.