Sick Or Upset About Moving?

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

We're moving to a new home just 30 minutes away and need your help! This is our first cat and oir first move with him. He's a 1.5 year old nutered happy boy!

For the last 2 says he has been acting really tired and sleepy. He'd play if you encourage him but overall veey tired/depressed ish. I should mention that we have been packing and he had been curious for the most part in the beginning. Is it something I should be worried about? Is he upset because of the packing? Or do we need to go to the vet? It breaks my heart seeing him curl up in his bed and not come running to me like he usually does...

We're going to keep him away from all the movers and as it's just 30 minutes away it shouldn't be too too bad. But is there anything else I can do to cut down his stress? Do you think it's the packing that's making him "lethargic" ish or is he sick? He's eating normal and using his box as usual.

Thank you for your help!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So long as he is eating, drinking and "pottying" normally, I'm inclined to think that this is stress, a little depression. Cats are EXTREMELY territorial, and preternaturally aware of their surroundings. Even moving furniture in a room can set off a very sensitive cat.

Be sure that EVERY ROOM in the new house has SOMETHING in it that carries his scent. I took an old sheet, spread it over Hek's favorite lounging spot, and let her shed all over it. I then cut the sheet into squares, and placed several squares of fur-covered sheet in each room of my new apartment, so that no matter where she went, her scent was there. There was still an adjustment period, but it was far shorter than it might have otherwise been.

Now, SHOULD he stop eating, or you have a litter box issue, take him in, just to be on the safe side! Best of luck to ALL of you in your new home!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 about the vet thing. Btw I used a feliway plugin for my last move and it really helped to calm down my cats. Maybe you can get one and plug it in the main area he likes to stay at before and after the move?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats can be very sensitive to changes, so it could be that all the packing and moving preparations that is stressing him out.

Here's the TCS articles on stress, in case they might be helpful:
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress | TheCatSite
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist | TheCatSite
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats | TheCatSite

Plus one one moving with cats:
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way | TheCatSite

And as the others have mentioned, do make a vet appointment, or just call them, if you feel something isn't right with him. It's always best to err on the side of caution.