Sick Kitten

Becca0833

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a kitten 2 weeks ago tomorrow. She has an RI and infected eyes when I got her. We took her to the vet they tested for fiv/flv and it was negative. They gave her some fluids, some Clavamox for the infection, and did a fecal. She had coccidia. They gave her Albon for this. She’s been on Albon 3 days and Clavamox 5. Her eyes are completely better as well as her sneezing/cold symptoms. She’s still pooping, but it seems like a lot at one time. Last night she pooped a fair amount, but not much so far today. She’s eating SO MUCH. She is extremely playful and gets the zoomies. She appears to be feeling fine. However I have one main concern, she is very round and ballooned. Last night as I mentioned she pooped a fair bit and this morning the bloating was very reduced. After giving her her med rounds and feeding she’s back to a really bloated again. I’m not sure if she is having trouble with the meds or if it’s something worse. Her anus is puffy but not red at all. She’s not drinking standing water however she’s eating 90% wet food and I’m putting water in her food and occasionally after her meds I will syringe her some water. I spoke with the vet about the bloating and she recommended to wait it out till she’s off the medication. I am just reaching out for insight as I have never had a kitten before nonetheless one so small. She’s about 6 weeks and around a pound

Attachments

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome! Wow. 6 weeks? She's awfully young to be away from her mama. Have you tried giving her some KMR or some raw goat's milk if you can find it? That would be a good way to get fluids into her. I'm going to tag some of our kitten experts to give you some more insight. StefanZ StefanZ Sarthur2 Sarthur2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Becca0833

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The woman who gave her to me said the mom died, it was just someone nearby trying to find homes for a litter she found, so I don’t know if this is true but I do know that she was separated from her mom before she became mine, and they were going to take them to a shelter if they didn’t find homes. I did try KMR and she won’t take it from the bottle or a plate. She really will only eat the wet food and occasionally dry. I can try goats milk, I have not tried that yet. The main issue is that she’s bloated

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The woman who gave her to me said the mom died, it was just someone nearby trying to find homes for a litter she found, so I don’t know if this is true but I do know that she was separated from her mom before she became mine, and they were going to take them to a shelter if they didn’t find homes. I did try KMR and she won’t take it from the bottle or a plate. She really will only eat the wet food and occasionally dry. I can try goats milk, I have not tried that yet. The main issue is that she’s bloated
She could be constipated. Giving her fluids could help with that.

Becca0833

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update she went poop right now. Not hard but not soft right in the middle. I will keep giving her fluids as much as I can. Is it safe to give her water in a syringe?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good she found a home / rescuer with you. Giving to a shelter MAY be dangerous. If its kittens whom arent selfgoing, ie they are needing care, and the shelter doesnt have resources at hand, they are typically pts. In some bad shelters a majority of admitted cats are put down....

I see its no grand alarm here, as she does in fact eats wet food... Its good. So you really dont need kmr any more. Even if kmr wont hurt.

BUT you can always give her some goats milk, its always a good supplement. And if you can get raw goats milk, its excellent, and may help her with this bloating. Raw goats milk has some properties helping soothing intestinal problems.

A little mild unsweetened youghurt, or some other probiotic, may help too. Antibiotics are nasty for the bad bacteria, but they harm also the useful, friendly bacteria in the intestines... Supplementing with youghurt / probiotics are a common counter measure.

You can also give her a three-four drops of simethicone now and then. The same as is given for human babies with colic belly. Cant hurt, may help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds good to me. She eats loads and poops loads. This is typical growing kitten behavior. In between their bellies are round and bloated looking. As they grow those cute little pot bellies elongate and are not so noticeable.

Has the kitten been wormed yet? After she finishes her current meds you can have her wormed. Worms can cause bloating also, though I suspect it’s just from eating and drinking well.

She’s a cutie! :lovecat2:

Becca0833

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello sorry for being so late on this. She has not been dewormed but I was told that she was tested for the following per vet: coccidia, hookworm, roundworm, wetworm, and giardia. She’s doing really really well now. Eyes cleared up and less bloated. Playful as heck. Pooping prob 2x every 24 hrs on average. I would like to know what you think of the gender

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
its apparently a tortie, so probably a girl...

Ps. I do not dare to deem and guess myself. Its not unusual people take wrongly, even experienced cat people.