Sick kitten

Momma1012

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted 13 week old kittens from a local animal sanctuary. They are sisters. Up until yesterday everything was going really well. They were very playful and seemed perfectly normal. Yesterday I came downstairs to a very lethargic kitten. She sort of wobbled when I placed her on the floor to see if she would come back to me. She walked stiffly and I noticed a slight cough. I was able to get her into the vet from where i adopted her. They did bloodwork which I won’t get back until Tues. its a holiday weekend. I have been giving her medication that vet gave to me. They found that she had an elevated temp. Gave her fluids and said call with any questions. I spoke to them twice yesterday but was told to continue medication and call an emergency vet if needed over the weekend. She has eaten some wet food which I added water to. Also some dry food. Today she is still walking stiffly and having some trouble jumping up onto the couch. Should I take her to emergency vet? It’s only Saturday.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It can take up to 72 hours for medications to reach therapeutic levels in the body, so she isn't there yet. She is eating, so that's an excellent sign. If she isn't better by tomorrow night or Monday morning, take her back to your vet, or if she gets significantly worse overnight tonight, then see an emergency vet. But the meds haven't yet had time to do much. I know how scary having a sick cat is. Hang in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Momma1012

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It can take up to 72 hours for medications to reach therapeutic levels in the body, so she isn't there yet. She is eating, so that's an excellent sign. If she isn't better by tomorrow night or Monday morning, take her back to your vet, or if she gets significantly worse overnight tonight, then see an emergency vet. But the meds haven't yet had time to do much. I know how scary having a sick cat is. Hang in there.
Thank you for that information. Her sister is now showing similar signs. I have enough medication until Tuesday if I have to start medication on sister kitty. Vets office is closed Monday so praying that we can get along until then.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH my. We're here, but this does change things a bit, given the amount of meds on hand. And since both now have it...DO plan on seeing the vet on Tuesday, even if both of them are improving. You'll need more medication, so that they BOTH get a full round.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep them well-hydrated. Unflavored Pedialyte with good fresh water at a 50/50 ratio is a good idea (there are homemade recipes online as well). If the water is tap water, it should be filtered to get rid of the harsh chemicals added by most municipalities.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so glad they are with you and getting lots of love. That helps and they might have missed getting that as shelter kitties where there are so many needing love. Just keep doing what you are doing, keep up the meds, wet food and make sure they take fluids and are going to the litter box. Give them a nice place to cuddle, like a cardboard box with a towel or blanket, to keep each other warm and comfy. Please do keep us updated. Sending get well purrs and love!
:vibes::heartshape:

Momma1012

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am happy to report that both kitties are much better today. Sheba is actually playing a little. Both kitties are eating well. Seem to be more normal. Will be reaching out to our vet on Tues to get more meds. Need to keep giving medication to both kittens.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Momma1012 and welcome to the forum !

I'm sure that's a great relief for you.

Exactly what is this medication ?

btw.........we'd love to see some pix !

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like distemper. My Siamese kitten had contacted distemper when he was 14 weeks old and it caused all the same symptoms that you described above: wobbly walk, high temp, and lethargy. The high temp, (my kitten's was 106) caused some mild brain damage which contribute to my cat not being able to jump accurately for a while. Eventually it did get better.

I agree with everything that has been said above in that it will take time and also that you must get the same amount of medication for your other kitten as well. I am so glad that you caught it in time and I am sure your kitties will become healthy again.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK M Momma1012 - here's something you really have to understand.......

Doxycycline can severely damage the lining of the upper GI tract - throat, esophagus, stomach....if it 'sticks' to them. And, this applies to solid or liquid forms of Doxy.

So - you must follow each dosing with either some wet foods or some liquid - water is fine, so long as you're extra careful that the cat doesn't "choke" on it (you know, when something "goes down the wrong way" kind of thing) - so, never straight down the throat but instead, just droplets into the side pocket of the mouth and allowing the kitten to swallow. Personally I would use a small amount of some slurry-style favourite of theirs. That would 'coat' and protect those linings.

If you need more info, post back.

So glad they're on the mend!

And, thanks for that pic...........so sweet!

Momma1012

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK M Momma1012 - here's something you really have to understand.......

Doxycycline can severely damage the lining of the upper GI tract - throat, esophagus, stomach....if it 'sticks' to them. And, this applies to solid or liquid forms of Doxy.

So - you must follow each dosing with either some wet foods or some liquid - water is fine, so long as you're extra careful that the cat doesn't "choke" on it (you know, when something "goes down the wrong way" kind of thing) - so, never straight down the throat but instead, just droplets into the side pocket of the mouth and allowing the kitten to swallow. Personally I would use a small amount of some slurry-style favourite of theirs. That would 'coat' and protect those linings.

If you need more info, post back.

So glad they're on the mend!

And, thanks for that pic...........so sweet!
I put the pill into a pill pocket for Sheba who ate it happily. Shadow wanted wet food wrap. I gave them both wet food with extra water in the food. They both love it. They are doing great. Thank you all for ideas and support