Sick Kitten --need Advice!--

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

We have another kitten that came into our lives last month. He's a spritely little ginger tabby about 3 months old. He had his calicivirus,felv and FVR vaccinations and 2 days later he started limping on different legs, was lethargic, wouldn't eat and had a fever. We're now 6 days after vaccinations, 4 days after symptoms and he's a lot better-- he's been eating a lot, his temperature is better but still a little hot, he moves around but still seems hunched and not himself. I feel like he's getting better slowly but I have no idea what has happened. Why did he have such a reaction and is this normal?

Any advice appreciated,

Meagan

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is considered a more extreme but not unheard of reaction to vaccines. You should contact your vet and make sure they know about the reaction. Likely the kitten still needs boosters so your vet will need to reevaluate the vaccine schedule or maybe even the brand. PureVax is usually seen as the best brand so you may want to find out which specific brand your vet used.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet has never experienced this reaction before and there's only one kind of vaccine here :( We currently live in central Vietnam. I just want to know he'll get over this eventually and this isn't permanent :"( Do they recover fully from the reaction?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think sounds like your kitten will recover fully, in my limited experience and I am not a vet. My cat had a bad reaction to a vaccine when he was a kitten and it was rather like he had a bad cold for a few days. Once his body adjusted and he started feeling better he was back to normal. Just keep him comfortable and make sure he is eating well. As long as you are seeing a little improvement and he isn't eating and using the litter box well he will recover in his own time. Think how long it take she you to recover from the flu as a comparison.

Does your kitten go outside any? If he won't be going outside you may want to not get the booster shots. If he will be going outside talk to your vet about which of the vaccines he absolutely must have in your area. Instead of giving him them all just do one at a time spaced out as much as possible. Since he got three it is really hard to know which specific causes the reaction or if it was a combination.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help. He's improving a lot, my main concern was the stiffness in his joints. He's sleeping a lot still but he wakes up to play, eat and use the toilet. Our other adult cat is showing no signs of illness bu
DSCN9617.JPG
t this was his second set of vaccinations. Both will be making there way to Australia soon and I will be able to get better vaccines when they arrive in Malaysia.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With the traveling I would just stick with what is expressly needed until you get where there are better options and try to space if out if you do have to do more. Sometimes the body handles the first dose fine but revolts at anything after that.

For the joints you could try ordering a product called Cosequin for cats. I would wait until you are in Australia and if he is still having problems at that point. It is a joint supplement and has worked wonders for my cat who was limping months after he broke his leg. It wouldn't hurt to give him a partial dose and would likely help with that aspect. Just read the label and err on the side of caution in giving less then recommended because of his age.

He is a little cutie. Good luck and I hope he feels better soon.