Sick Kitten Found

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! This morning she's up to 422 grams!

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! but sigh... I wish people would stop dumping their animals here.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my, I am in love - she is gorgeous! And you're wonderful for taking care of her. :redheartpump:

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sure is unfair how communities rely on a few good souls to handle the problems for everybody. And we do it for the kitties, not for the humans.
I try to do my best for all creatures.

lovely baby=I have a weakness for tiger cats with white on their faces-any updates?
Thanks, she is really sweet.

Oh my, I am in love - she is gorgeous! And you're wonderful for taking care of her. :redheartpump:
Thanks!

Update - She uses the litter box, eats, and is gaining weight. Still has gooey eyes and I'm debating whether or not to start her on some Clavamox. :dunno:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet has me use L-lysine to start, in case the cause is a virus. If eyes are still goopy, she gives me antibiotic eye ointment and that usually clears it up. If the kitten gets diarrhea or respiratory problems, then we go to full-system antibiotic such as clavamox or biomoxx. I have also purchased pet probiotics but my vet, a practical country vet, tells me to just feed plain, whole milk yogurt. I am sure that you will get all sorts of opinions and advice, but this is pretty much my routine minus the herbs that i use. (I was raised using herbs as was my vet - they work great but you should ask your vet or consult a holistic vet, even if online).
Thank you for the updates!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
beautiful kitten!!

Thank you for taking her in to take care of her. She looks better in that second photo already!

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet has me use L-lysine to start, in case the cause is a virus. If eyes are still goopy, she gives me antibiotic eye ointment and that usually clears it up. If the kitten gets diarrhea or respiratory problems, then we go to full-system antibiotic such as clavamox or biomoxx. I have also purchased pet probiotics but my vet, a practical country vet, tells me to just feed plain, whole milk yogurt. I am sure that you will get all sorts of opinions and advice, but this is pretty much my routine minus the herbs that i use. (I was raised using herbs as was my vet - they work great but you should ask your vet or consult a holistic vet, even if online).
Thank you for the updates!
We do have some lysine already, so maybe I'll give that a go first. Also have various antibiotic drops and ointment, as well as steroid drops. Also have tons of Clavamox.

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
beautiful kitten!!

Thank you for taking her in to take care of her. She looks better in that second photo already!
Thanks! She does looks better, but still looks sick. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the goop green or yellow? If so, that indicates infection.

Has the kitten had a round of clavamox yet? If she has an upper respiratory infection (URI), it might be a good idea to start the kitten on the clavamox.

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the goop green or yellow? If so, that indicates infection.

Has the kitten had a round of clavamox yet? If she has an upper respiratory infection (URI), it might be a good idea to start the kitten on the clavamox.
The goop is not clear, it has a slight yellow tint. If the kitten were one of my peachicks I would start it on antibiotics, but I know so little about cat diseases that I wanted to give it some time to see if it got better.

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Had a bit of a scare, but I think we're back on track. Yesterday she was looking quite depressed and off her feed a little, plus she hadn't made much of a weigh gain. Then she pooped a nasty, bloody pile of diarrhea that looked similar to poultry coccidiosis poop, so I did a little research on coccidiosis in kittens and decided to give her toltrazuril (Generic Baycox).

It's been about 18 hours since I dosed her, and wow, what a difference! Haven't seen her poop yet today, but she is back to her normal self running around and chasing her tail. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's good! It may take more than one dose, but she clearly has most likely had parasites.

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Yeah, Plumb's Vet Drug Handbook says 2-3 days, so I was planning on 3. Interestingly, the cat dose is quite a bit more (3 to 4.3 x) than the bird dose, which surprised me because so many other drugs it's the other way around.
duno.gif