Sick kitten after neutering

KlaudiaDominika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

i’m new here. Two days ago, my kitten Wlad got neutered. He’s been sleeping more than usual but seemed fine. Was eating and drinking normally. Today in the afternoon he vomited his food up and about 20 minutes later vomited just liquid. He hasnt vomited since, but hes been hiding and just crawled under the covers completely. His temperature seems normal, but he stopped eating since vomiting and his incision sight looks fine.
I called an animal hospital, she told me to keep an eye on him. Any advice? Is this normal?

this is my first time having to neuter a pet, I’m not entirely sure if this is reason to panic or not.
Thank you in advance
19DB60AA-F85F-476C-A429-2287942F57D3.jpeg

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. Your kitty is very cute! Do you know how old he is?

Wlad should be lazy after having invasive surgery. Activity an cause the stitches to rip apart.

Vomiting that soon after eating means he ate too fast. Maybe Wlad was starving after he had to fast all night before the surgery. There is nothing to worry about if it was just the food he ate 20 minutes earlier.

Stargirl0623

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, he's adorable! Congratulations on the kitten!

At this point, I also wouldn't panic! He's just had a surgery, anesthetic, medications, and a lot of stress--throwing up after eating in that situation isn't necessarily cause for alarm, especially if his incision looks good! Chances are, he ate too fast or was already a bit queasy when the food hit him.

(I'm also dealing with a cat right now who's got some GI distress after a surgery--it's alarming, but it happens!)

At this point it sounds like you got great advice. I'd keep watching him, keep food and water available, restrict his movements to keep him from injury, and give the little guy a bit of time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KlaudiaDominika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Wlad should be lazy after having invasive surgery. Activity an cause the stitches to rip apart.

Vomiting that soon after eating means he ate too fast. Maybe Wlad was starving after he had to fast all night before the surgery. There is nothing to worry about if it was just the food he ate 20 minutes earlier.

He is 5 months old, I believe
just a bit paranoid I suppose

KlaudiaDominika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, he's adorable! Congratulations on the kitten!

At this point, I also wouldn't panic! He's just had a surgery, anesthetic, medications, and a lot of stress--throwing up after eating in that situation isn't necessarily cause for alarm, especially if his incision looks good! Chances are, he ate too fast or was already a bit queasy when the food hit him.

(I'm also dealing with a cat right now who's got some GI distress after a surgery--it's alarming, but it happens!)

At this point it sounds like you got great advice. I'd keep watching him, keep food and water available, restrict his movements to keep him from injury, and give the little guy a bit of time.
Thank you so much! I appreciate the advice, certainly calmed the nerves a bit

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are right to be concerned. Vomiting 2 days after neutering is not normal. I would keep an eye on him. If he continues vomiting or stops eating or using the box or he's extremely lethargic, get him back to the vet. He could've picked up a little upper respiratory infection from the stress of going to the vet for the surgery. It's very common.

KlaudiaDominika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He ate just now and has been using the litter box just fine, but he has been extremely lethargic. I did suspect he had a respiratory infection prior to the neutering actually due to eye discharge and he had antibiotics for it a few weeks ago.

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're describing exactly what happened to my Gus. I kept fed Gus in small amounts and offered small amounts of water. I also wrapped him up in a warm blanket when he rested. Eventually Gus got better. Don't worry it'll be just fine!

KlaudiaDominika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Wlad got onisor at 7pm with food yesterday and vomited right now at 5:30am. Is it possible that the medication is making him sick or is that too long of a span after for it to be onisor?
He’s drinking a lot more than normal and refusing to eat this morning, but he is playing like normal.
Should I take him to the vet when they open up?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call first and explain his symptoms. It is VERY normal for a cat to be lethargic and vomit after surgery and anesthesia. It should not however take longer than three days to resolve. He should be fine by now, it could be the pain med making him feel queasy now. I have had MANY ferals get absolutely nothing after their surgeries and they acted fine. I would monitor him, if he starts eating, uses the litter box, and drinks, he is fine. If any of these stop for longer than a day, take him in, especially if he starts hiding, a real sign of distress in a cat.

KlaudiaDominika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it’s time for a vet visit now. He’s stopped eating and has diarreah. Drinking a lot more water than usual. I’m concerned as my other kitten also has diarreah now, he had antibiotics for it and it stopped for a little while and now its back. I’m not sure what’s going on. thank you everyone for your advice, I appreciate it.

Stargirl0623

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it’s time for a vet visit now. He’s stopped eating and has diarreah. Drinking a lot more water than usual. I’m concerned as my other kitten also has diarreah now, he had antibiotics for it and it stopped for a little while and now its back. I’m not sure what’s going on. thank you everyone for your advice, I appreciate it.
I would 100% agree! Sending love to you and the little guy, and keeping fingers crossed it's something very easy to treat!

KlaudiaDominika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, everything sorted itself out. Wlad ended up eating some plants from the garden that upset his tummy but he is now fully recovered and happy! Thank you for all the advice 🖤