Sick kitten. Advice please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE ON KITTEN

hi everyone. Thank you so much for the kind messages and advice. It’s really a big help. An update on the kitten,

So the clinic I took her to gave me antibiotics and dewormer for 3 days. And gave me the okay to give her 3 ML of pedialyte twice a day for dehydration and diarrhea. Since then she has improved.

She has a good appetite. She’ll eat dry kitten food and wet food. She was really bloated for a few days. Turns out I was over feeding her so now I’m trying to give her only dry food so the boating can subside (doctor recommended) but sometimes when it seems like she won’t eat dry food I’ll give her the gravy in kitten wet food mixed with some pedialyte and then that seems to spake her interest in eating. But her bloating still isn’t 100% gone. And her diarrhea is no longer liquidy. It is now either a very soft log or like oatmeal.

her energy is up.She’s more playful and eager to play with the toys I’ve given her but she mainly just naps. I’ve read that’s normal for her but even though she’s showing improvement, there still some things I’m concerned about.

So I noticed a raw spot on her paw like 2 days after I took her to the clinic (I will attach a photo) I’m gonna be honest. I have no idea if that spot was already there when I captured her or if this is something new. I was so stuck on making sure she ate (in the beginning she didn’t want to eat anything) that I didn’t check her body for wounds. As you can see she’s missing a patch of fur and the skin is red. I’ve kept an eye on it for the past week and it doesn’t really look any bigger and the skin in no longer red. It looks like a pale red and dry. Any idea on what this could be?

when I got home from work today I did my usual thing where I let her out of her enclosure and let her Rome my room like she normally does. She fell asleep on my chest and when she woke upI noticed she suddenly had a third eyelid on her eye. Should I be worried about this? She was literally fine just 20 mins ago. She’s not acting different than usual. I did offer her alittle wet food and she didn’t really go for it like she usually does. But I’m also taking into account that she’s eaten about 2/3 of the dry food I left her before I went to work. So that could be why she isn’t as hungry now.

and finally, is there any way you guys could help me find a rescue group in my area (Hyattsville Maryland) or near it to take her. I’m asking around to see if anyone would like a kitten and I keep getting these empty responses like “ohh she’s so cute I’ll ask but I can’t” type of stuff. I don’t want to leave her at a shelter cause those are already overcrowded as it is. What if she doesn’t get adopted? What if she gets sicker and they put her down? 😞😞 I’ve read these horrible stories on the tough decisions that shelter have to make due to limited resources and I don’t want her to end up being one of them. I’m also worried that I’m not equipped to handle this. Even though she’s shown improvement she pops up with other stuff. Maybe I’m not doing enough. I don’t have a lot of money. Taking her to the clinic was an expense I had no business spending but I felt so bad for her. I just want to make sure she lives and goes to someone who will really take care of her. And I’m assuming rescues would have better resources and or connections than me. I know this is a lot. Im doing my best here. I just want the best for her.

Attachments

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
order some Nutri-Cal its not expensive and will help her et perkier and put n a lil weight my vet gave it to me for y ignon 7 years ago when at 8 weeks he stopped eating drinking and playing and had to be force fed KMR and water every 4-6 hours dont ak how much because i dont remember but afew syringes then affter a week of that we made a slurry useing wet kitten food and by 10 week he was much improved and is now a healthy happy 7 y/o but Nutri-Cal cat hurt only help i'm supprsed the vet didnt recomend it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think the kitten’s paw needs to be looked at by a vet. I can’t tell from the photo if it’s an injury that is healing or if it is a dermatology hot spot that might need a topical cream.

I think a good place to begin your inquiries is with the Prince George County SPCA. Here is the link:
Re-homing a Pet | PGSPCA

Another local rescue to check out in Hyattsville, MD, is A Cat’s Life Rescue. They work with PetSmart. Here is the link:
Cat Adoption Event at Unleashed by Petco Hyattsville — A Cat's Life Rescue

You will be asking about surrendering the kitten so she can get the medical care she needs, eventually followed by getting placed in a proper forever home.

Thank you for caring for this kitten! Please keep us posted!

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have much to add to the excellent advice you've recieved. If the paw isn't looking worse it could just be that the scab fell off, taking fur with it and leaving a bald spot; which would be a good sign of healing. Of course, a vet visit would be best to confirm.

Thank you for taking care of this kitten and good luck in your search for a long term solution. I've found animals before a few I found owners, a few I took to the shelter and hope they found their owners, a few I found homes for (we had someone dump kittens a few years back pretty obvious dump and did follow regulations, but shelter didn't have room), and I did keep one (my rabbit, he was in bad shape and no one claimed him, the no kill rescue had a 6 month waiting list and by the time they reached out I decided to keep him). I wish I had more tips, but reaching out to rescues for someone with space for a medical rescue is the safest option for her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for continuing to work with this poor little kitten. You have given her from becoming another kitten statistic. I cannot advise much about the eye or the paw but both should be monitored. If the paw seems dry and closed, it certainly could be a scab which fell off; it is seems moist or sore it might be another condition. Same for the eyelid which I am hoping is from the fact that she has had a little bit of a rough time and is still recovering from it.

I know that you don't want her to be a TNRed feral, but Alley Cat Allies also has some resources.

Feral Friends Network® Connect

It is quick enough to complete the form. If anyone responds, they may have some rescue resources which may help you. You don't actually need anything substantial from them, like someone coming to your house to trap a cat, so make it clear that you just need advice at this point.

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
KITTEN UPDATE

Issues I’m concerned about

- Diarrhea has not really improved
- Third eyelid is still present (it went away at first but has returned and comes and goes now)
- I’m noticing that even if she eats dry food she still gets bloated. (Before me and the vet assumed it may have been because I was giving her too much

Improvements I’m noticing
- very playful
- loves attention
- confident kitten chow eater
- Always drinking water
- very active (tries to sneak out my room constantly and she’s very fast about it)
- gaining wait

So I got paid last week. I think I’m gonna take her back to the clinic for the vet to take another look at her. I’m concerned about the 3rd eyelid and diarrhea. Hopefully it won’t cost me too much. I hope it’s not anything serious since other than these issues she’s acting fine and happy. She’s playing right now and has found my acrylics to be fascinating.

again I’m more than welcome to any tips or if you’ve seen this before? (The third eyelid part)

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like your kitten needs a round of metronidazole for the diarrhea.

Do you give her any wet food? It’s very good for kittens.

She’s adorable! So glad she is gaining weight and doing well overall.

Has her paw healed?

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I give her 1 can of fancy feast a day. It’s the kind that’s for adults and kittens. I tried the the kitten pate ones (the only kitten food I could find in my area) and she doesn’t like it. I’ll mix it with some pedialyte. Half in the morning and half before I go to bed. She has access to kitten chow dry food all day and fresh water mixed with alittle more pedialyte

the patch of skin looks the same. It has not gonna any bigger or appears worse. But I’ll bring it up to the vet when I take her in.

Have you ever seen this third eyelid on a kitten before. I’m so worried it’s a neurological issue /: cause of it is I can’t afford to help her 😞😞 and I’m scared no one will put in the effort to help her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The third eyelid usually appears when a kitten or cat does not feel well. Definitely ask the vet about her paw, her diarrhea, and the eyelid.

I’m thinking once the diarrhea and bloating issue is resolved she will feel better. It’s likely either worms or parasites. The vet will give meds for that. There does not seem to be anything neurological going on.

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FINAL UPDATE

Soooooo…..

The sum up all the boring parts

- Her diarrhea cleared up. She’s eating and drinking normally. And is super playful and loving.

- Kitten still has a bloated belly. But it’s always after she eats her food. Took her back to the vet and she got dewormed once more and given a feline Leukemia test. She came back negative. The bloating didn’t stop so I had her stool tested as well and that came back negative as well.

- Other than the bloating she is a happy, active and heathy kitten. The vet said that he feels optimistic that she’s just a gassy kitten and that she would grow out of it. (As the weeks went on she was still bloated but it was gradually becoming less and less so I trust the vet)

now the fun news.

I FOUND HER A FOREVER HOME. 🥺💕

A coworker of mine found this lovely couple (that she knows and trust) who were interested in getting another cat as a sibling for their own. I met with them and felt like this was the right home for her. I also met her big sister. Her name is Winifried and she’s a lovely lady. I dropped her off today. It’s bitter sweet. I’ve been caring for her for almost 2 months. I fought for her to live and she did. Now she’s at her forever home. I’m so happy for her cause I know i wasn’t in a position to care for her the way she deserved. But I still miss her. 💕💕 but luckily they said they would send me photos and I could visit if I wished to (they live 15 mins away from me). So even though I’m alittle sad now, I’m so happy for her. 😭💕💕

I want to thank everyone who left a message. I’ve cared for kittens before but not like this. I’ve never cared for a kitten who was so sick before. I was so lost and scared I was doing the wrong things. But your messages and advice helped me keep going and focus on the end goal. So thank you all so much from the bottom of my heart.

Here a photo from her last night with me 💕💕

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for everything that you did for this cat. It sounds as if she has a wonderful new home to go to.

moretoebeansplease

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She looks amazing and you did a great job with her! Congratulations on setting her up for what will hopefully be a long and healthy life with her new family 🥳🥰

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forever home update!
Mom sent me photos of her 🥺 Everybody meet Winne (gray) and her new little sister Fran 💕💕

Mom said that Fran is putting on weight and loves her sister. They have been pretty much playing with one another non stop 😭💕

Attachments