Sick kitten. Advice please

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m going to try and make this as short as possible.

I noticed a kitten hanging around my house and it looked really sick. After about 2 and a half weeks I manage to catch her. She’s been indoors since Sunday 7/18/21. Since she’s been indoors her upper respiratory infections appears to be improving (as she is no longer sneezing out snot like how she was in the beginning but now she has a bunch of other problems.

• little to no appetite (I have to put food in front of her and sometimes she’ll give it a try other times she goes back to sleep.) I have been giving her petlac in a 3 ML syringe I purchased from Amazon.

• liquid/goopy diarrhea constantly throughout the day

• losing weight

• Sleeps most of the time

I took her to a vet clinic today and they advised that she was sick and underweight. They gave me two medications. A dewormer and clindamycin hydrochloride liquid for the upper respiratory infection. I also got the okay from them to give her pedialyte. They advised 3 ML twice a day. I gave her 2 ml just to be on the safe side. (I’m still alittle paranoid about giving her pedialyte)

I weighted her this morning and she weighed 854 grams. Me and the vet believe she is 7-8 weeks of age.

my questions

There are three things she will accept in terms of food. In very small quantity but I noticed she’s more eager to eat these three. Chicken baby food, lil slurpies by friskies but only the broth, and delectable squeeze up. The doctor advised that I stop all these and only give her kitten food. Which I understand but I’ve tried that all week. She doesn’t want any of it and I’m terrified of her starving. I’ve tried formula mixed with the pate, just pate in different flavors, kitten chow dry food. She doesn’t want any of it. What do you guys think I should do?

how much formula should I be giving her on a daily bases? She’s 7-8 weeks we believe and weighed 854 grams this morning. I know there’s a way to figure this out but I’m terrible at math and I don’t want my stupid brain to make this kitten worse than what she is. So if someone with experience can please tell me I would really appreciate it.

how much pedialyte should I give her daily? The doctor recommended 3 ML twice a day. And she’s constantly drinking water on her own. (Poor thing has bad diarrhea, she’s probably so dehydrated) I’m asking cause I keep reading mixed things on the internet. That if you give them too much it could be fatal.

she also seems more out of it today. I think today might have been overwhelming with the vet visit, the two medications and pedialyte. Is it normal that seems more out of it? She just wants to sleep.

also if you have any other tips please tell me. I can’t keep this cat (I already have 3 indoors) but I want her to live. I want to help her find a forever home. She was outside crying and now she purs constantly. She just wants love. And I want to help her. Please help me.

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not the best to help with gaining weight. It does not have to be kitten food. I am also terrible at math so I go by what the can says. My 5 week old ate wellness core canned. More expensive now. 2 cans 5.5 oz for a kitten. Peaches is small. At 9 yrs old now she is only 7 pds. So it also depends on the cat,how much to feed. I had 3 cats. Then I rescued Coco. I could not get her adopted so she is now with me. 3 cats now. She is brown and white with spots and stripes with a dark streak down her back. Eyes change color green to brown. Major lap cat. Why wasn't anyone interested?

Last edited:

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you try putting formula in the chicken baby food? Or maybe mix in some kitten food into the baby food, adding just a little more each day to see if she'll adjust to it?

KitayCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have heard of sick cats taking to cans of tunafish when other food was unappetizing. It is not nutritionally complete however for long-term eating solely.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would feed her whatever she will eat for now until she is better. Once well, she may be more interested in regular wet cat or kitten food.

Her weight indicates that she is 30 ounces. A normal 8-week old kitten will weigh about 32 ounces, which is 2 pounds, so her weight is actually good.

As sick as she’s been, it will take a good 3 days for her to respond to the medications, so just give it time. Sleeping is what her little body needs to recover. You’ll know she feels better when she begins to explore and play, though growing kittens still sleep a lot. They just play and get into trouble in between.

You can mix powdered formula with the unflavored pedialyte instead of water. This way she gets both at the same time. The pedialyte is good for her.

For how much formula to give, it is 8mLs of formula for every ounce of weight, divided by number of feedings in a 24-hour period. If you plan to feed every 4 hours that comes to 6 feedings and equals 40mLs of formula. However, since she is also eating soft food, she will not need as much formula. I would give her soft food first, then top her off with formula - but only as much as she will take.

She should begin to feel better soon. If her diarrhea does not get better in a few days, she may need a round of metronidazole.

Thank you for saving her and keep us posted!

Jasminelopeze Jasminelopeze

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not clear about what formula you are using, which is probably my misreading something but it is safest to follow guidelines on those products unless the vet tells you otherwise. Can you call the vet, since you already paid for a visit and meds, and ask? It should not be an office call or a charge.

As for her age and condition, I would feed her whatever she will eat. At this point, if it is baby food, or the stew type squeeze out treat, let her have it. She has to turn a corner and then you can start to get her off baby food. If she will eat something mixed in with the formula like the squeeze up, that would also be a good way to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for your response and tips. Alittle update she seems slightly more energetic since giving her the medication and pedialyte. Her appetite has even increased. It’s still not alot but compared to the last several days I notice a difference.

one thing though, her tummy seems bloated? I saw her poop in the morning and it was still diarrhea (just not as liquidy as before) but her tummy remain alittle bloated. I work everyday and I just got back and noticed it’s still bloated. But she doesn’t appear to be uncomfortable or anything. Is this a side effect from the medications? Should I be worried?

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m helping out this stray kitten who was very sick. Has an upper respiratory infection, little to no appetite, weight loss, very liquidity diarrhea

I took her to a clinic and they gave me two medications for her. Dewormer and Clindamycin hydrochloride liquid for the upper respiratory infection. Also some pedialyte for her diarrhea.

These all seem to be working. Her appetite is going up and she seems a lot more energetic after one day of meds 😊 however I noticed her belly is bloated. Is this a normal side effect of any of the medications?? Should I be concerned?

shes acting find. Playful actually. And ate some wet food. I’ve been at work all day so I’m not sure how her stools have been but this morning before heading out I noticed the bloating and she pooped. It was still diarrhea but not at liquidity. But her stomach was still kinda bloated.

please help me. I really want her to live and find her a loving forever home.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good she got this pedialyte. Its necessary when much liquid diarrhea.
Re this bloating. Some nice probiotic could help. BeneBac is known to be good for kittens.
Even a youghurt. Youghurt bacteria are good and healthy, and if you do have in your local shop youghurt with added useful bacteria, its even better.
If you have several youghurts / kefir / onaka; take this unsweetened and unflavored.

A couple of drops of simethicone (the same as for human babies with colic) wont hurt either, but its really for another type of bloating.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It will probably all work itself out after she has been on the meds for a few days, but a few drops of infant simethicone for gas may help. The drops can be added to her formula. Give it time. She sounds much better already!

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your tips and support. Her belly is still swollen but she’s A lot more energetic than she’s been the past few days. And she ate a whole can of kitten food this morning! 😊😊😊

she still has diarrhea and even though she’s pooping her abdomen is still swollen. ButI’ll give it a few days to see if this is something that’ll resolve on its own. The only different thing I’ve done with her since the swelling started is give her the medication the doctor prescribed. She has one more day of meds so I’m going to assume this is a side effect of the dewormer and antibiotic.

since she still has diarrhea I’m gonna continue giving her the 3 ML of pedialyte. Unless you guys think otherwise?

if you have any other suggestions or tips please feel free to let me know.

Attachments

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The doctor recommended 3 ML twice a day. But I keep reading mixed things online. Should I give her more? Or does that amount seem right. She’s already had 3 ML this morning.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oedialyte wont hurt wven if you hapoen to give "too much" so continue as much she takes till she is good and healthy.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed her whatever she will eat until she is better. my acts have leukemia, and when they get sick and stop eating I give Hartz Delectable Kickables in the stew flavors. (they don't like the bisque flavors) It is the ONLY thing that they eat and they only take a few licks a few times a day, but it gets them through. She most likely had feline herpes which is VERY common in kittens (NOT transferrable to humans) and has bad worms. I pray she gets better soon!

Jasminelopeze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can someone answer me though and tell me if bloating after these meds is normal? i know I said I'd give it a few days but now I'm worried.

she's still pooping diareah (not as liquidy anymore, now its more like thick oatmeal) and her abdomen is still bloated. Today was the last day for her meds.

Like I mention before shes acting alot better. She had an appetite now. She ate a whole can of wet food and I caught her eating some of the dry kitten food i had for her. She's so eager to play now and cuddle and she's constantly purring. Am I just being paranoid?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds okay to me. When kittens eat well they get little round kitten tummies that are normal and that slim out as they grow. If she’s eating well and playing and peeing and pooping all sounds well.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet, since they prescribed the medication, they should be better able to answer your question. I know kittens get round big bellies when they eat enough, but i would worry too. A sick kitten would stop eating and be lethargic, so as long as she is acting normal all is well.....

Szczygiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m helping out this stray kitten who was very sick. Has an upper respiratory infection, little to no appetite, weight loss, very liquidity diarrhea

I took her to a clinic and they gave me two medications for her. Dewormer and Clindamycin hydrochloride liquid for the upper respiratory infection. Also some pedialyte for her diarrhea.

These all seem to be working. Her appetite is going up and she seems a lot more energetic after one day of meds 😊 however I noticed her belly is bloated. Is this a normal side effect of any of the medications?? Should I be concerned?

shes acting find. Playful actually. And ate some wet food. I’ve been at work all day so I’m not sure how her stools have been but this morning before heading out I noticed the bloating and she pooped. It was still diarrhea but not at liquidity. But her stomach was still kinda bloated.

please help me. I really want her to live and find her a loving forever home.
This really touches me. Thank you so much for helping her.