Sick cats, not sure what it may be. Vet appointment scheduled.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm running a private cat rescue operation for some of the ferals in the neighborhood. Both my actual house cats are either formerly feral or stray. My mother started off feeding one of the feral mothers before giving birth to kittens. Around six to eight months ago four female cats gave birth to four litters of kittens. Two mothers had five or six kittens, one had four kittens and the other we presume only had one kitten based on evidence. Over the months some kittens came up missing, whether the neighbors took them or they passed is uncertain to us.  Of course what started as feeding one feral quickly escalated into several more cats/kittens, other ferals/strays started coming around and the mothers brought their kittens. Me and my mother took turns with feeding them but eventually had to say enough as it was getting to be too much at the time. So the cats/kittens went back to hunting rodents, birds and getting into neighbors garbage.

As Winter started to approach I started having the ferals trying to attach themselves to me. The cats/kittens started following us when we went out and went to check the mail. Thankfully the roads are not that busy here although I had to chase some out of the road or stand in the road when a vehicle speedily approached to avoid them being hit. One night two ferals followed me back home and decided to run inside. I of course chased them back outside or picked them up and put them outside if I could catch them. As they became aware of the food I put out for my cats it became a battle of dealing with them running in and having to put them outside. I decided I was tired of doing that all the time so I finally let them stay in and care for them. Fast forward a bit and those two kittens became six more because after they started coming in the other kittens we were previously feeding showed up and wanted inside. It was insane and it was a pita dealing with all these kittens and putting them back outside no matter how much I love cats it was too much for me to handle, it was insane.

The landlady didn't want to deal with the issue anymore. Over the years tenants get cats but throw them out and don't want to take care of them. Those cats go to the bathroom in other tenants yards, spray on homes, vehicles and because they are not fixed those cats become more kittens/cats. We pleaded with the SPCA, animal control, disease control, health department and some local rescue groups but no one could help us. The SPCA said we could bring them in for TNR and that's all they could help with.

I've now made the decision on the side of the park I live that I'd care after the feral kittens, attempt to socialize and find homes for them. I've made effort and progress towards socializing them, I've managed to litter train all kittens except one. I have appointments set up for two now formerly feral kittens to take them to the SPCA to be neutered and receive shots. I have vet appointments set up to get two sick kittens in for a checkup and treatment. 

Two kittens are fully socialized or near completely socialized now. The one kitten has been coming in my bedroom and making himself at home at my feet while sleeping. He gets happy to see me and will roll over, trill and want me to scratch his belly. The other one isn't as affectionate but he lets me pet him, is accepting of my attention and purrs. The other ferals are becoming more comfortable but it's taking longer to socialize them if they can be socialized. Once all is said and done I will try to find homes for them elsewhere. Then  scrubbing everything down to get rid of the cat smell. As it is I'm mostly cleaning just to keep up and keep the place looking and smelling halfway decent.

For cleanliness I placed the following explanation of symptoms in a quote..

One of the kittens managed to get outside and tried to get it back in but it ran. I kept going to the door to try calling him in since it was cold that night. He finally came back in the morning and started developing cold like symptoms. I noticed he was holding his mouth open to breath, he had discharge from his nose, his breathing was loud and sounded like fluid was in his chest or he was wheezing. He had watery eyes and kept having what seemed like coughing/sneezing fits. I couldn't get him in for a vet visit right away so I cared after him. I went through and cleaned anything in my place that was dirty, sterilized the place a bit to help him breathe better. I ran a de-humidifier, wiped his nose and around his eyes with a damp luke warm cloth. After a vet consult small doses of antibiotics were administered 24 hours apart according to his age and weight. He is doing much better now, is running around and playing although he still occasionally starts coughing/sneezing and his nose is still a bit runny. When I take the other kitten to the vet on Thursday I plan on asking him if I bring this one in as well since he is still exhibiting some symptoms or if continued treatment is possible without a visit.

The other kitten was fine and healthy, the next day it shows up sickly. We were afraid it could be poisoning or rabies at first but all the symptoms aren't there and other inconsistencies suggesting something else was going on. He is still alive after a week and seems to be improving, his health hasn't deteriorated any more. As usual a vet consult recommended small doses of antibiotics reminiscent of his symptoms and if he got worse to immediately bring him in. When he showed up I noticed something was amiss, he was lying down on my fridge when I noticed he seemed lethargic. He had his eyes shut and mouth open, he kept letting out this low cry when other cats or I went near him. He kept licking the inside of his mouth and was drooling a bit.

We were afraid he was dying at first. However he pulled through and is slowly improving. I remember the night before he showed up sick there was a cat fight I went out and broke up. One of the cats looked black and white but this kitten is grey and white, since it was dark out I might have thought the cat was black and white but it was him involved in the fight. When he finally opened his eyes a bit, one eye looks very red and is watering. Around that one eye it looks like he got scratched or bit. When he walked it looked like he may have been in a bit of pain. He is also moving his legs a sometimes while lying down and flopping his tail lightly, it seems he gets a bit agitated when he is resting with other cats around.

Since I've been trying to nurse him to health, making sure he's eating and drinking, small doses of antibiotics and wiping around his eyes, nose with a damp luke warm cloth until I could get him to the vet his condition has improved but still is a bit weak/tired. He is eating, drinking, urinating/defecating properly and is a bit more active walking and even running a bit as well as grooming himself.
Rabies was only a concern because the cats/kittens haven't been vaccinated yet. At first it seemed he was dying and with sudden sudden symptoms some suggestive of rabies or poisoning we assumed the worst. It's hard when you have some form of attachment to them you don't want to face the worst. :(

I'm just worried and hope it's nothing serious, I don't want to have to prepare myself for any bad news. I'm hoping someone here had a similar experience and a cat with similar symptoms as it would relieve me to know it may not be that serious and he can make a full recovery. Thank you and I apologize for the length of this thread/post. Perhaps in another thread I can post some pictures of my kitty clan. :p

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
It really is hard to tell. Considering how quickly this appeared after the cat fight, I would suspect an injury, possibly an abscess, and not an infectious disease. When is your vet appointment scheduled for? If it is an injury, a vet should be able to diagnose it fairly easily and cats are usually good about bouncing back from such incidents. I've had a cat with an abscess once and the first symptoms were just him being in pain when touched, losing his appetite and just not moving around much. He was treated by the vet and continued to live for many more happy years.

Do let us know what the vet says. Oh, and pictures are always welcome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It really is hard to tell. Considering how quickly this appeared after the cat fight, I would suspect an injury, possibly an abscess, and not an infectious disease. When is your vet appointment scheduled for? If it is an injury, a vet should be able to diagnose it fairly easily and cats are usually good about bouncing back from such incidents. I've had a cat with an abscess once and the first symptoms were just him being in pain when touched, losing his appetite and just not moving around much. He was treated by the vet and continued to live for many more happy years.

Do let us know what the vet says. Oh, and pictures are always welcome!
I was reading up on the symptoms of cat herpes. His symptoms sound oddly familiar to that or at least is showing sings of a good portion of herpes symptoms. He looked like he had swelling around the eyes, one or both eyes are red and watering, he's mostly squinting or keeps them closed, appears weak or lethargic and maybe a bit more agitated. He did appear to be sore just by the way he was walking but he's walking fine, not staggering and running a bit mostly where food is involved lol. He is still eating, drinking fine. He is still urinating and defecating fine, no diarrhea since he's been inside eating hard food regularly and soft canned food every so often. He is still grooming himself and appears to be better of than when he showed up sick last week. 

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Btw the one eye that looks like he was bitten or scratched around is more swollen around it than the other and that eye is most red. That eye is/was completely or near completely shut.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a bit upset. I could not find a ride to the vet. The neighbor I asked had to bring his girlfriend to an appointment, I exhausted other options  as well for the time being. Called the vet to notify him via voicemail I would likely have to reschedule since I could not find transportation. I live somewhat rurally without access to public transport and cabs cost a fortune. The cab would cost three times or quadruple the vet visit and medication I'd likely need to purchase lol. I haven't gone to take the test my permit yet so I neither have a license or vehicle of my own. Asked the vet if there was any treatments or anything I could do to hold him over until I  can bring him in.

He isn't too bad off and seems to be doing a bit better. He is still tired, probably sore as well. His left eye is really red and both eyes are watering, hope it doesn't cause any damage to his eyes. :/

I have a current picture of him below but the quality or lighting isn't that great and it's difficult to snap pictures with the front facing camera.

He is still eating, drinking, grooming himself, going to the bathroom without issue (just not in the right place lol) and appears to be gaining strength little by little. He was just playing a bit with the other cats behind the door when I snapped that.. Besides being tired (lethargic), perhaps weak and in a bit of pain, the red and watering eyes there doesn't seem to be anything serious or at least I hope not. He was also drooling a bit in the beginning and licking inside his mouth like he was tasting something. 

It's worth mentioning that another cat that I adopted developed red watery eyes and tiredness (lethargy) after this guy turned up sick. The other cat with the red watery eyes came down with bad breath untypical of cat breath around the same time. My cat Midnight likes grooming my face so I immediately noticed the weird/bad breath. The cat pictured above was fine the previous day then shows up sick the next.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to add the cat Midnight seems a bit agitated. He's usually calm and docile, very friendly and loving boy. He just doesn't want to be bothered and is sleeping more than usual. He went after another cat that tries to get in here to eat. He was displaying what appeared similar to the dominance thing they usually do but never acted that way before. He isn't aggressive with me or other cats here although he tried to nibble at my hand as if to tell me not to touch him there or he didn't want to be bothered. He was also crying at my door which was another odd behavior I haven't seen him do before. But that was when that cat was outside my place or as soon as I put that cat back outside.

The grey and white kitten from the picture in my post above doesn't seem to have much regard for where he lies to rest. He'll be sprawled on his side and the tip of him tail will slowly be flopping up and down on the floor.

Last edited:

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He seems to be recovering little by little, seems to be getting energy back a bit at a time. Eyes are still red, watery and mostly shut though. Had to cancel with the vet as I could not secure transportation. Does this sound familiar to anyone else and is there any treatment I can do or over the counter stuff to help speed his recovery or hold him over until I can get him to the vet?

Thanks.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can't get him in until next week. Would take him to other vets but they are way too expensive plus none are open on weekends unless maybe for real emergencies (life or death), no organization here to offer discounts or financial assistance/subsidies for vet care.

Would be nice if anyone knew whether the symptoms described correlate with any definite illness. If there is over the counter stuff to hold him over and help him feel better and gain some more energy let me know. His one eye is really red, both eyes watering and squinty or shut eyes, lethargy, minor swelling or puffiness around the one eye and licking inside his mouth once in a while. I'm not too concerned since he seems to be improving albeit slow. He's still eating, drinking, walking around fine, going to the bathroom fine and grooming himself. 

It may be contagious, after he came up sick and I took him in my cat developed red and watery eyes but that may be coincidence, none of the other cats caught it. The one that did didn't get it as severe as the sickly one I'm trying to get to the vet. We were so afraid it was poisoning at first buy symptoms don't suggest that and it's going on two weeks now, on December 30th that night I realized something was wrong. The previous night there was a cat fight I think he was involved in I broke up near my place and the next night he shows up sick. 

The vet receptionist thinks it sounds like Leukemia but the test is $30 and I would have to get all cats tested if it turns out to be that but I don't think it is. If it's not Leukemia and hopefully something else suggested by symptoms exhibited during checkup then that will save money. Hopefully it's something minor that once treated he can make a full recovery but it doesn't seem like he's on the verge of passing like we were initially afraid of thank goodness.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going out shopping tonight. If there is anything over the counter that may help him please let me know. Thanks. :)

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm leaving in around an hour. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks. :)

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess there isn't anything OTC that would be safe to give him and might help?

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This keeps getting bumped down too fast.. :/

Since no one responded and I already went out I missed picking him up something that might help him. Nothing I can to until I can get him to the vet next week providing I'm able to secure transportation.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There isn't anything cats can have that's available OTC :(. Except perhaps l-lysine, which suppresses the herpes virus and is generally a good supplement. Is he still eating and drinking enough?

If you're giving antibiotics, give the proper dose for a full 7- 10 days. Anything else is ineffective and contributes to antibiotic resistance. You can find the proper doses for his size in the online Merck Veterinary manual www.merckmanuals.com/vet . I'm suspicious of a vet who would recommend "small doses" for only a couple of days :/. That won't do any good.

If you're going to take in strays, testing for Feline Leukemia virus is a good idea, at least before you introduce them to any indoor cats you have. It's not wildly contagious among neutered cats but it's not really something you want to take casually either.

He really does need to see a vet if he's been sick that long. I hope you can get him in soon.

Last edited:

animalpal2014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? 

If you are in New York City - the ASPCA is supposed to treat animals brought in - in emergency condition - for indigent owners.  And, the AMC - has two programs that maybe able to assist.  You have to be either Elderly - or indigent.   There is also the Mobile Van - with very low-costs:  718-544-PETS: Office  718-353-1878: InfoLine

You really should get involved with some more experienced Rescue Groups - as most of your issues could be addressed by them.  Maybe you could do some volunteer work with one or two.

Antibiotic:  You say you're giving "A little".  Giving too little - is more likely to result in an antibiotic resistance - than giving too much.

OVER THE COUNTER HELP:  Colloidal Silver: It is available retail  (But, not the one that I use.)  It can easily be administered to outside cats - in their water.  I have found it to be a very effective germicide (against any germ) - internally - in eyes - or topically - and it is safe.  If you want, you can get all the detail I've posted from my previous posts. (One was posted just today! on "Multiple Issues. Guidance appreciated".

You should get the one that contains the most Actual Silver Particles.  Second best is Ionic.  I don't like Silver Protein - as it can easily become contaminated because it contains organic matter.  But, it probably would help, too. And, you're in a pinch for time.   LOOK AT THE LABELS ON THE BACK for actual ingredients.

YOUR CAT SYMPTOMS:   Yes,these could be from Herpes.  But, they also could be from other causes.  Such as the Corona Virus.  Most cats seem to carry this virus - and, most have no symptoms.  But, sometimes they do get Upper Respiratory symptoms.  It's usually a minor infection. 

But, the Corona Virus sometimes mutates into the FIP virus, which is usually deadly.  Some Corona Virus strains are more likely to go through this terrible mutation.  (Once it mutates into FIP, it seems that it is no longer contagious!)

PS:  Antibiotics do not help with Viral conditions.  But, they are often used in URI's - to help prevent a Bacteria from getting into the lungs to cause Bacterial Pneumonia.

FELINE LEUKEMIA:   Someone responded that it is not "wildly contagious" among neutered males.  This ABSOLUTELY is not true.  I think they may be thinking about Feline AIDS - which is basically only transmitted in adult cats through deep bite wounds (Or Some other blood to blood or blood to Saliva contact). - So  - it's more often found in intact males. 

AIDS positive cats - can be kept with Aids-Negative Cats with no problem. Many rescuers I know keep them together. 

Feline Leukemia is VERY CONTAGIOUS between any cats.   Cats really need to be tested before you allow them together.  AND - be aware that if a cat does test positive for leukemia - it should be kept isolated from other cats for at least 30 days - and then re-tested.  The ELISA test - which is the first test to use for Leukemia - is so sensitive - that it often gives False-Positives.  (Except in kittens under 15 weeks - where it more likely will  give a False-Negative - because the kitten's immune system is not fully formed yet - so - may not react properly to the Elisa. 

Also - a cat recently infected - can "lose" the virus.  The other test that can be used ONLY AFTER AT LEAST 30 DAYS from the First Elisa Test - is the Western Blot.  It's more definitive, but ONLY after the virus has had time to reach the bone marrow.

Leuk-Positive cats - or UNTESTED cats MUST be kept separated from Leuk-Negative cats.  (And, Leukemia is more likely to be transmitted indoors - since cats are in closer contact - and share food, water, litter.)

Please DO  NOT  EVER  ALLOW  AIDS-Positive cats  TO  MIX  WITH  LEUK-POSITIVE  CATS (or cats not tested for Leukemia) - as they can contract Leukemia very easily - and the combo usually kills them quickly.  If you can't afford to test more than one at a time - then - prepare a separate room for this ONE.  And, as you test more cats - you can add them to this room if they test the same - or put them into a different room if they test differently.

Many Elisa tests - test for both Leukemia and AIDS.  ASK.  It's less expensive to do them together,

There are groups that will help with veterinary expenses and trasnport.  If you're regularly helping cats - I suggest trying to become familiar with them. 

I have some listings for both), Let me know if you need them.   I don't know when I will have time to post though.  So, maybe - First try looking on the internet yourself,.

(With transport - Check out the transporter thoroughly.  If the site does not guarantee them - and/or If you don't personally know them - get ID:- and copy it.  eg. Driver's License - and make sure it's valid, Have the person sign a receipt describing the animal, Include that you are the owner, what address the animal was picked up, the Name & address of where he/she is being transported to. It's a good idea to take some pics of the animal - and have the person sign and date them, attached to the receipt.  Signing the receipt & pics - is a good idea - even if you do know the person.  Make sure the animal is in a SECURE Carrier.  Animals have been known to disappear in transport. (Usually through carelessness!)

Or -  Go with them, if possible.

Jackie Page

Last edited by a moderator:

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am located in Central New York, the nearest SPCA is in Auburn. The only thing they told me they could help with spay/neuter which is $10 a piece for the first two then $25/$35 thereafter plus the cost of shots. They can also provide some food but did not state anything else they could assist with. Myself, my mother and other tenants have pleaded with everyone we could think of thats why I stepped up to take care of them or it would become a bigger problem if I didn't. While it may not resolve the feral cat issue here it will help alleviate and keep somewhat under control.

I hope it's not anything serious. He does not seem to be doing any worse, actually a bit better but he's slowly recovering. He was fine the previous night, after catfight that night he turns up sick. I have to find someone to provide transportation since I don't drive or have access to affordable public transport. No bus lines near here and cabs would cost $50+ round trip not counting stops. I appreciate the suggestions provided here so I may look into possible treatment.

As I said he's still eating and drinking normally, going to the bathroom properly, walking around, running a bit and grooming himself. He has not lost weight as far as I can tell nor does there seem to be anything else wrong that is immediately apparent. I keep checking on him and making sure he's still doing all of the above. If anything changes and he worsens I'll pay a cab to immediately take me but if it's not an emergency then I can avoid spending money I don't need to.

I hope it's just a respiratory infection or conjunctivitis that can be treated with some antibiotics. Once again thanks for the suggestions and information I can keep in mind.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about my experience with FeLV. . .my grandmother had 2 cats die from FeLV (kittens obtained from an infected farm) and the other cats never got it, and still test negative. There are studies which show that cats over 18 months have a 90% natural immunity to FeLV. It is very contagious among kittens but it's just not with neutered adult cats. I wouldn't take the risk of having FeLV+ cats with FeLV- cats, and I think testing for it is very important, but it just isn't wildly contagious like Panleuk.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad it's not as bad as myself and my mother originally thought it was. We were afraid it was poisoning at or rabies and that he might not make it. We always fear the worst especially with what his condition looked like and how he was acting at the time. Anyway he is still going strong with eating, drinking, grooming, going to the bathroom without issues. He appears to be getting more strength and seems to be improving rather than deteriorating. He seems to be responding to Amoxicillin as I've been giving him proper doses 12 hours apart, the other night he was up playing with the other kittens and has his eyes open. Been cleaning around his eyes with a luke warm washcloth. Trying to get a ride and appointment set up for Thursday to get him to the vet and checked out. Perhaps I can see about getting him his shots while I'm there if they'll do that on the first visit or if they'll want me to come back.

Seems he could have got an infection and/or conjunctivitis. That and the upper respiratory issues seems to be common with cats that we've had. However they usually have gone on to lead long lives. My parents cat which is 10 years old now had the issues with eye colds and upper respiratory issues. My parents other cats are between 3 - 5 years old and doing fine. This kitten appears to be doing fine other than the red watery eyes and lethargy which seems to be improving now. I feel relieved that I don't have to worry as much about him now.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His eyes look to be improving. He looks as if he's feeling a bit better although still sleeping a bit. I have money set aside for the vet visit and will be asking a neighbor for a ride on Monday before setting the appointment up. At least he is responding more, when I pet him he purrs or trills at me and rolls over.

It's amazing and unbelievable these kittens were ferals. Still struggling with three to socialize them but they are more of a challenge. This one can't grasp using the litter box and does business elsewhere.

I'm more concerned now for my polydactyl cat that's over a year old. He seems to have lost quite a bit of weight. I woke one night to find bile with a reddish or pinkish tint on the floor and a roundworm in it. Nasty thin noodly looking worm over an inch long. Don't know what cat it was as I was sleeping at the time.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been kind of busy and forgot my password and finally decided to log in. The vet appointment fell through, I didn't have transportation and my friend said she would help me find a ride but that never came to fruition. I continued to treat him, he regained his energy and one of his eyes fully healed. The other was getting better but it was slow but it never healed or healed fully and the eye was pink or a dark pink, can't even recognize the actual eye. He was stable and I was going to continue to try finding a way to get to the vet. It was more recent when I had to ask a neighbor to take me to the SPCA to neuter two male ferals that he offered to take me in the future as long as I paid gas money.

Suddenly the eye of the cat Buddy has regressed and he's lethargic again, I think the infection returned.  The eye is dark pink or like red, he is having yellow discharge or mucous from it. The eye or membrane looks swollen. The eye was shut but reopened after I was wiping lightly around the eye with a luke warm cloth. I have a vet appointment scheduled tomorrow afternoon and will be asking the neighbor to take me. I think with whatever happened back when he contracted this even if he and the eye recovers he will be left blind or partially blind in that eye.

I've been watching him to make sure he is eating, drinking and he still is. I've been checking on him regularly. He's been wanting outside but I refuse and have kept him in. Every so often I wipe around the eye with a luke warm cloth to clean the crust and mucous. He keeps licking his paw and pawing at his eye.

All signs point to a bad case of pinkeye or conjunctivitis. Whatever it is antibiotics such as Amoxicillin doesn't treat it, my parents cat had conjunctivitis and the Amoxicillin didn't do squat for it. It's not contagious as far as I can tell as none of the other cats contracted it. I think there's some bacteria or infection that's keeping it from healing up. When he first contracted this it happened within the span of a day. He was fine the previous day and the next he was sick with this. I believe there was a cat fight the previous night that I broke up and he may have been involved in that scuff but I'm not 100% certain since it was dark outside at the time.

I'll let you all know what I find out tomorrow.

Last edited: