Sick Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmdarapt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My parents cat has been ill lately, passing blood when she urinates and the other night she was trembling while my mom was holding her, we think she may have a UTI (Unrinary Tract Infection) or worse- bladder cancer. She has also lost alot of weight and is down to about 7.5 pounds and the vet has her on a special food that is absolutely disgusting (but she does eat it). My mom is taking her to the vet today but I haven't heard anything from her so far. Any ideas as to what is going on? Thanks

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weight loss can be thyroid disease, kidney disease, cancer or a variety of other items. It is good she is going to the vet soon. Cats are pros at hiding when anything is wrong with them until it is far progressed. It is always good to get them in at the first sign of any little thing that seems off, and also for yearly check ups and bloodwork. Please report back as to what they find.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry for your parents' cat. But, also so glad to hear she is being taken to be checked out by the vet - the very best thing to do at this point. How old is she? The trembling is not a typical symptom of a UTI, but if she has been ill for a while, it might happen for any number of reasons. How much weight has she lost, and when was she last seen by the vet? What food what she put on, and what was it for? As you can see, a lot of questions because all of this plays a role in what might be going on with her. I sure hope the vet recommends a full blood panel, including a thyroid check, as well as a urinalysis/urine culture. Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dmdarapt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My mom just got back with Mia from the vet and he said that her FPL levels (Feline Pancreas-specific Lipase) were elevated and he was concerned, it could be a sign of pancreatitis or kidney or intestinal disease. She is taking Mia into the vet again this Tuesday for an ultrasound to look for cancerous tumors. She has all of the other symptoms of pancreatitis such as blood while urinating, being listless, and general discomfort.

dmdarapt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet gave her a prescription for the pain killer Tramadol, it is a liquid we put on her ear. Since we started her on it she has stopped trembling so we think she was in pain.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a head's up, trembling can also be from toxins in the bloodstream if there are kidney problems. My RB kitty started doing this when she had advanced kidney failure.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
However, if she has stopped trembling with the medication, that's a good sign that at least MOST of it was pain.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any news? Even if it should be bad news, we would very much like to know. We fret.

dmdarapt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry to say that my parents and I lost Mia on Thursday, the vet did some tests and found that she had Pancreatitis, Kidney failure, and bowel disease all at the same time, all incurable conditions. She was in obvious distress but we were able to give her some pain meds to keep her comfortable but we had to put her to sleep :(. She had alot of health problems in her life and upon doing some research we found that they were common to her breed (Siamese).

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so very, VERY sorry for your family's loss. Rest you gentle, Mia, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.