Sick Cat Will Not Eat Anything But Will Eat A Few Temptation Treats Is That Enough ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fatdream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found out about dropping water on her face . I was reading how I was suppose to wipe her eye and nose to help with the uri but she wouldn’t let me so I started dropping water droplets on her head and nose force her to lick it . But yea, definitely think her URI is getting better , now just getting the hairball out . When she puke it’s like a foamy liquid like you said

Fatdream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stopping by to tell you how it went. Went to the vet . He said she’s really congested . Prescribed her clavamox (amoxillin ) . Now I gotta learn to give my kitty the medication . I also found out she’s not really overweight . Her fur makes her look kinda deceiving . Btw is $35 a normal price for something like antibiotic. It costs so much for 5 days of antibiotic and I might still need more :( but if it makes her feel better ... hoping she gets healthy soon ! And surprising my vet said dry food are better for cats ..?! I’m conflicted because everyon TCS seems to be pro wet diet

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dry food isn't generally considered "the best" for cats anymore, especially those prone to UTIs and crystals. They need more water in their diet to help alleviate the conditions.
$35 for antibiotics is pretty good IMO!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear Muchi's doing better, Fatdream, that's very good to hear. Ouch, I didn't realize Clavamox cost that much, either! (That's what our cats years ago got for their URIs...) Did the vet say anything about the barfing and the possibility of hairballs?

As for the food question, to add to what pushylady pushylady wrote, a lot of vets (including ours) recommend also wet food because it's higher in meat and lower in vegetable matter than dry food: cats are carnivores and their bodies are best at processing meat, not the plant-based fillers in dry food. Lots of us on the site are especially conscious of ingredients because certain things have made their cats sick. One of our cats vomits if she's fed potato; there are others on the site whose cats have the same reaction. Our cats have touchy digestive systems so we feed them only wet foods with no carby fillers since cats digest meat best. If you really want to read up on the dry v. wet food question, check out catinfo.org, which is written by a vet. She's definitely a wet food advocate and she explains why. She thinks pretty much any wet food is better than dry food.

If by any chance your vet told you that dry food cleans a cat's teeth, here's a Cat Site article that explains why that's just not true. We brush our cats' teeth, which sounds crazy but it's a lot cheaper than having their teeth cleaned (they also have a tendency for having tooth problems, that and the stomach stuff is probably genetic since they're Siamese mixes) and they actually really like it.

For now the big thing is: Good luck with the pills!

Fatdream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He thinks that her coughing and gagging is because of all the drainage going down her nose from being so stuffy. supposedly on my adoption paper she has mild dental problem, which I was told was just plaque or something minor. I asked the pricing at the vet and she said $200-800 depending on how bad, my jaw dropped so I think I will be brushing her teeth too

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He thinks that her coughing and gagging is because of all the drainage going down her nose from being so stuffy. supposedly on my adoption paper she has mild dental problem, which I was told was just plaque or something minor. I asked the pricing at the vet and she said $200-800 depending on how bad, my jaw dropped so I think I will be brushing her teeth too
That makes sense on the coughing. That's much better than hairballs!

And the teeth, yes, dental cleanings aren't cheap. Did your vet suggest anything for toothbrushing? Ours sells CET toothbrush kits (here are the CET choices on Chewy.com) and our cats love their toothpaste. The vet also recommended watching these videos to learn how to do the brushing. The big thing is to follow the steps and introduce the toothbrushing slowly; we did skip a step, though, because our cats thought the brushes were a nice toy. :p So I just slapped some toothpaste on it, which made it all the more appealing. Once Mochi is healthy, settled in, and comfortable with you, it's worth giving it a try!

Fatdream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He said her teeth and bad adjust recommended dry food to help her teeth >.<

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Dry food doesn't help their teeth at all, that's a myth. ;)

If she's still getting over her URI try elevating her food bowl. When she drops her head down to eat her nose will start to run, so she'll stop eating. A food bowl at head height will be more comfortable for her. You could try putting her food on a flat saucer, rather than in a deep dish. Her whiskers will be really sensitive because of the URI, so a dish that doesn't touch her whiskers will be easier for her to eat from.

How is she doing today?

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
If you just elevate her bowl by placing it on a book, that should do. And a 13cm across low rimmed bowl or saucer is wide enough for even the longest whiskers.

I'm curious about the amoxicillin. A URI is commonly viral and not bacterial. What did your vet think has caused the URI? Why did they come to the conclusion that it was bacterial? What is she congested with, i.e., what colour is her snot or chest mucous?

I have a post nasal drip caused by allergies. This causes me to cough, especially when lying down. If your cat has a dust allergy, for example, then she may also have a post nasal drip, causing coughing when bending or lying down. An elevated food and water bowl will certainly help.

Did you get given amoxicillin tablets? Do you know how to administer tablets? Once you start giving any antibiotic you MUST complete the entire course, even if she shows signs of improvement.

A mix of dry and wet food is fine. If a cat will only eat dry food, then that's what to give them. Eating is far better than not eating. Just make sure she drinks plenty of water.

:hangin:

Fatdream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Uri (Viral ) can often lead to a bacterial infection and thats what they think happened to her. She got clavamox which is administered as liquid using syringe. She vomitted a dose yesterday but other than that she's feeling much better. I'll try the elevating tricks.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Mochi's feeling so much better, Fatdream. I hope she starts eating well for you!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No wonder she wasn’t eating! I hope she feels better. Yes $35 is reasonable my friend had to pay $60 for a tiny tube of eye ointment for her kitten with conjunctivitis. I hope she’s better soon. Save the baby food Incase she needs it later.