Sick Cat Undetermined Illness

Walterandrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi.
I’ll be quick...
My 2 year old cat, Rose, started losing weight a few weeks ago - little by little. Then I noticed she was sleeping more, so I took her to the vet.
She had a fever, a bit dehydrated, they did some bloodwork, and gave her an antibiotic shot, another I took home. She doesn’t have feline aids or leukemia. Her bloodwork came back pretty normal except the doc said “high protein” and he also mentioned FIP.
I took her home and all she does is sleep. She will go eat and drink and then go back to sleep. That’s it. Also noticed her light blue eyes, one has turned green and not cloudy. So I took her back to vet today. He did X-ray and noticed something with her lungs.
What is going on??? I have to wait until tomorrow for results. What makes a cats eye just change color? Has anyone ever had a cat with these symptoms? Thank you so much - my 9 year old son loves his Rose and I have no answers. He’s so scared. So am I. Thank you!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello!
Can you get a second opinion? Do you have a university with a veterinarian department that you or your vet could speak with?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read that a cat's eye can change color if there is infection present. Usually it would change to an abnormal yellow, orange or red, but because your kitties eyes are blue, I guess turning a bit of a green color would make sense as the "yellowish" tint blends with the blue.
Did you already mention the different eye color to the vet? Uveitis can cause permanent damage if left untreated.
The presence of infection can also elevate protein levels in the urine.

I know your going back to the vet, so I don't need to mention that, but in the mean time, make sure she gets plenty of water. If she eats wet food, I would only feed her wet foods and add a bit of water to it. When dealing with an infection hydration is VERY important.
If your vet is at a loss after this last test, I would seek out a second opinion. You can get copies of all the tests and the results already done so the new vet does not have to redo them and to save you time and money.

How long has it been since the antibiotic injection? Have you seen improvement? Your kitty may need a different type of antibiotic, and possibly eye drop meds as well.
Does Rose have any other URI symptoms? Runny noes, sneezing, discharge from the eye or the nose, does she sound a bit congested?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Walterandrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately I had to put Rose to sleep last week. She deteriorated rather quickly. Radiologist said he believed she had a bypass (?) along with possible FIP. Her kidneys were failing and she could hardly breath.
My son took it better than I thought he would, much better than I did. He said he’s happy she’s no longer in pain. It was hard to watch. RIP Rosey. Thank you all again, I think she had multiple issues that, combined, just took over her body.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for letting us know. I am glad that your son took it as well as he did. RIP little Rosey. :angel3:

There is a section on this site called Crossing The Bridge. If/when you should feel like it you can pay homage to Rosey and share stories/pics of her. It is where we all go to memorialize our lost loved ones.